Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice needed

Forum Member

Lightbulb Advice needed

Allright guys I just want your opinions and advice. Im currently 17 years old. I am a Fire explorer, and enrolled in EMT class and also Fire protection and equiptment class for this August. When I turn 18 in October I am going to apply to the County as a paid call firefighter. Im hoping to be in Firefighter 1 acadamy next spring. After being am EMT for a year I am planning on enrolling in Paramedic courses. My main goal is to become a full time firefighter somewhere ine the Central Valley here in California. Do you guys have any tips or advice for me on what to do to help my chanves at becoming a full time firefighter? Much appreciated thanks all.

Forum Member

do not settle on just a few select departments.

test every where and test often, you can always test at other departments once you get hired, if you want.

get in shape

Forum Member

Fire49 is 100% correct. Take every test you can. Some department don't even require that you have EMT. Testing experience is huge. Some different departments actually use the same tests! But there are a lot of different styles out there. And don't go into a test just for experience. I've heard so many people say "I didn't even study, I'm just taking this test for the experience" this is wrong! Study hard for every test no matter what!

Having paramedic will qualify you to test for any department so you're on the right track there.

Another thing to strongly consider is the military. Departments like to see life experience. The life experience that you get from the military Is highly sought after by a lot of departments. And with good reason. If you read these forums you will see a lot of people talk about "vet points" or "vet preference" veterans actually get extra points on a lot of fire department tests. There are many other benifits such as money for education after you get out. This can be very important as many reserve firefighters can't afford to go to school, do their reserve time, take other certification classes and pay for traveling expenses to test other places.

Also get it there and volunteer your time wherever you can. Volunteer experience is also very important.

Becoming a firefighter is not cheap. Start saving money and don't "accidentally" start a family if you know what I'm saying!

Forum Member

You have a good plan. Your medic is the best way to achieve it.

As fire49 points our test anywhere you can because the more tests you take the better you get at taking test.

Learn how to take a firefighter interview that is like no other.

Don't do drugs or hang around those that do.

Be careful what you post on the Internet. You could be asked to give your username and passwords in background.

More oral board tips here to help you with the POC position:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117336 (Interview Questions HELP!)
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You are certainly on the right page. I too am in California. We are currently in the process of hiring a bunch of firefighters. There is so much competition now that we are screening applications to get the MOST qualified. We are eliminating people who meet the minimum qualifications if favor of the MOST qualified candidates.
    Some of the criteria we use qualify candidates are:
    Education - Bachelors, AA or AS
    Experience - paid fire department, reserve firefighter, time on an ambulance
    You would be wise to include formal education as a part of your plan.
    I agree with the advice to stay away from those who do drugs. We fail a high percentage of candidates on a background check
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

BCLepore, do you pretty much have to have your degree to get a full time job? I would like to get my firefighter 1, firefighter 2, and Engine operator classes out of the way before I apply full time. I would also like to have my paramedic finished before I start applying full time. Do you think having all those would qualify me for a job somewhere here in Ca?

Forum Member

I do not drink, or do drugs, I have to much to lose, and potentially a job with our local Ambulance company at stake, I am not dumb enough to risk that.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is a degree required to et a job in California? It depends on the agency. I can tell you that the trend is to screen applications as I mentioned in my previous post. I know of three departments within a 40 mile radius that used the same screening process (we all talk and share notes). In each of these processes a candidate needed an AA degree (or equivalent units), a minimum of 1 year as an EMT or reserve firefighter just to be invited to take the written test.
    I am also aware of a City (Newport Beach) that simply took the first 500 applications on the internet site Neogov. Recently Beverly Hills did the same thing, although I believe they took the first 1,000. The minimum requirement to apply was a basic fire academy or FF1 cert. Each of these processes closed within the first 10 minutes.

Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information