MembersZone Subscriber

Default Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Anybody ever have it done? I may be going down this road but would like to hear if there are FFs out there that have CT or have CT and had the surgery. I have heard there is a possibility of losing wrist and grip strength and in some cases upper arm strength. Obviously that doesn't jive with the job. Thoughts, advice recommendations appreciated, thanks in advance!

Forum Member

I've had it done on both wrists, about 6 months apart from each other. My surgery was about 5 years ago. Years of mountain bike riding, motorcycle riding, and weight lifting did the damage. I had a great Dr, he tried everything before surgery. We tried braces at night, oral steroid's, then cortizone shots. Once it was obvious that nothing was working, then he said surgery was the way to go.

He told me the longer I put off surgery, the risk of permanent damage increased. I have to say, the surgery was amazing. The day after the surgery I noticed a huge improvement in sensation in my hands and no more numbness. The surgery itself was outpatient and the recovery wasn't bad. Stitches cam out in about 15 days. I took 3 weeks off work, just because I had the time. I could have went back after 2 probably. Granted I wasn't a FF back then. If I had it done now, I would probably look into taking longer off, just because we use our hands for everything.

I did have some minor weakness in my hands after the surgery, that got better in a few months. I never had any issues with my arm or arm strength. Just grip strength in general. Physical therapy probably would have helped the strength come back sooner, but I didn't think I needed it at the time.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Forum Member

Nothing to it and you'll be good to go in a couple of months.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information