Forum Member

Default Cold/Flu -- is it still possible to pass the CPAT?

I have a CPAT coming up within a week and I just came down with a cold or flu bug. Typical symptoms such as body aches, feeling tired, weak and easily winded. I exercise regularly and have been preparing for the CPAT for almost 2 months now (e.g., stairmaster with weighted vest, running laps and sprints, squats, and weight training). But I'm concerned that this cold or whatever it is will completely zap my strength and stamina.

Has anyone ever taken the CPAT while under the weather and still passed??? Please share your experiences

Forum Member

If you've been training for a bit and are in a modicum of decent health you should have no problem gutting it out for 8 min or so. Especially if it's a week out. The first couple of days should be the worst. You could always call and ask to reschedule if you're not feeling well the day of the test. But, I think it's doable to gut it out if you have to.

Forum Member

That shouldn't even be a question, you've got to want it

Forum Member

I caught a stomach bug a few years back 2 days before the test and couldn't keep anything down for half a day. I know it's different than a cold/flu, but I ate bananas & gatoraid the morning of (on the advice of some of those on firehouse, and also what I could keep down) and had a powerbar about an hour out. I wasn't breaking any records, but I got my strength up long enough to pass the test.

If you've been training you should be fine even if you aren't at full strength. The dummy drag really whipped me though not being at full strength so try to maintain a quick pace in the beginning phases of it to buy you some extra time near the end.

It turned out that the worst part was a guy going right before me heaved near the pike pole station and I could still smell it when I got to it. I had to really concentrate on what I was doing to keep from throwing up myself.

Best of luck! You got this!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

ljm
    Forum Member

You will most likely be fine. I went through the same thing last year, came down with the flu (a few days before the test) which turned into an upper respiratory infection a few days after my CPAT. Scored a 100% (The department ranked you based on time). Just keep your fluid intake up get lots of rest, think about light workouts leading up to the day. You'll be amped when you get there and just put it all out there. If it's the standardized CPAT that test is a cake walk and really just more of a nuisance when you are sick.

Good luck I'm sure you are going to do fine.

Forum Member

go to the doctor get a vitaim B shot, and maybe steriod shot??

Forum Member

I think you'll be fine. Rest up and drink plenty of water.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by janderson087 View Post
    That shouldn't even be a question, you've got to want it
    bull**** lol. I missed my CPAT saturday because I had the Norovirus. I maxed out loperamide and was bound and determined to see it through. I got about 20 minutes down the road and almost **** my pants. Ended up vomiting down the side of my car right after I turned around too. It was a bad weekend.

A truthful answer is it depends how sick you are.

Forum Member

It's impossible...sorry.

Forum Member

Try to find the homoeopathic Flu remedy Oscillococcinum from Boiron at a health food store or health section in some pharmacies.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

The last time I took it (2004 for the department I got hired at) I passed despite having a fever of 102. When they stopped me at the end, I thought I had failed because they just started taking things off me and not really talking to me. Turned out I had about a minute or so left in time. When I got back to my car, I puked all over, then drove an hour home with the heat cranked as high as it would go. It can be done!

Forum Member

The CPAT is very easy....

It gets a reputation for being a tough test around here and I can't figure out why.
    As long as you're in half way decent shape you should have no problem passing it. I understand if you're sick with the flu or something pretty bad but if you just have a cold, postponing it shouldn't even cross your mind.

Thread Information