Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Masking up: In the rig or on the scene?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Fact is, I'm betting you didn't convince a single soul here that masking up enroute was the right thing to do
    Hell, he hasn't convinced me that he's ever been to a fire...
    RFDACM02 likes this.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Like I said before, it's not something I do often, probably have done it a dozen times in the last 20 years. I am comfortable sizing up a building or scene with a mask. If you do HazMat, you can't always size up a situation before you mask up, so you learn to see everything with a mask on.
    As a hazmat tech who is a part of a hazmat team that also helps instruct hazmat classes...your logic makes no sense.

That is like saying for water rescue you have to put on a PFD to get close to the water and do your sizeup, so you might as well wear one to every call.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 78Ted13 View Post
    Another good question for debate!
    what's there to debate? you take the can whether you have fire showing or not. period.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    what's there to debate? you take the can whether you have fire showing or not. period.
    What fun is there in not arguing something so obvious?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    What fun is there in not arguing something so obvious?
    Ok, lets discuss blue lights.....or smoothbore pipes versus fogs......or leather versus salad bowls......or........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 78Ted13 View Post
    If you're arrive on scene of a HAZMAT Incident and you need to be masked up before you get out of the truck...you're way too close. That is unless you're talking about HAZMAT Techs doing recon in the hot zone?
    Yes, I'm referring to tech's in the hot zone. If you arrive IN the hot zone, you kinda screwed up on your scene size up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    As a hazmat tech who is a part of a hazmat team that also helps instruct hazmat classes...your logic makes no sense.

That is like saying for water rescue you have to put on a PFD to get close to the water and do your sizeup, so you might as well wear one to every call.
    HazMat events don't always happen in the middle of a freeway where you can get out the bino's at look at it from a distance. Sometimes it's in a building where you don't know exactly what you have until you get in there. And you have to know how to visually size up the scene with a mask on. Your analogy doesn't fit what I'm saying. I'm a tech as well.

Forum Member

We do Haz-mat and I still appreciate every opportunity to see what I'm getting into before I mask up. Haz-mat calls and active fireground really are hard to compare.

Really now, you can teach yourself to see things with restricted visibility? How do know what you don't see? maybe your masks are crystal clear and never fog up and have better peripheral vision, but I've worn a few masks and I've yet to see any that can come close to my naked vision.

Like I proposed before, try a simple test of mask/no mask and see for real what you miss. Just like a million other things we do, just because we get away with them 99 times, doesn't mean that the hundredth won't bite us. We're talking about less than 30 seconds saved and people are arguing the time saved is worth the personal risk? I don't get it.
    Yes, you can teach yourself to see things with a mask on. I've fired at pop up targets on a rifle range with a gas mask on (which is even harder to see out of than SCBA) and qualified expert. This is not something I'm suggesting you can "get away with", it's something that there are a FEW times where it's possible for a firefighter to mask up on the truck and go directly in the building, sizing up as you go in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rialaigh View Post
    Every member, and I mean every single one, of our fire department has done walkthroughs and responded emergent there for fires and alarms that I could search one of those with my eyes shut and tell you where people put the beds and cribs before I go through the front door. Every unit is the same, just reversed right and left. I can pull utilities there with my eyes shut, I can vent there with my eyes shut. When we get toned out there, we haul ***, we come off the truck packed out face pieces on knowing if its working we are going through the door with tools no hoseline to get people out fast. We have a couple other apartments that are the same deal. Barring less than 5% viability (estimated by driver and officer) upon arrival we will be inside searching with 10 seconds of the truck stopping on scene. Often times we run a 3 man crew, sometimes 4 if we have a off duty guy at the station hanging out.
    What the **** did I just read? I wouldn't mask up knowing I was pulling up to my OWN house much less one my hubris would lead me to believe I could do "eyes closed". I'm glad you can vent with your eyes closed though, wouldn't want to get an eye booboo when you smash every window with your sweet helmet.
    Last edited by tajm611; 04-27-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

there are a FEW times where it's possible for a firefighter to mask up on the truck and go directly in the building, sizing up as you go in.
    Which is, quite possibly, the very worst time to be conducting it.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I'm wearing my mask right now! It's got a cool heads up display, and I've got satellite radio piped in so I can listen to trance music while I clean the head!
    IAFF

Forum Member

I think that from now on whenever I am at the firehouse I will wear full bunker gear all of the time, with my mask on; just to be ready and to save 8.09876394 seconds. I wont wear the pack though, that would be silly, I'll leave that in the truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is not something I'm suggesting you can "get away with", it's something that there are a FEW times where it's possible for a firefighter to mask up on the truck and go directly in the building, sizing up as you go in.
    No one is saying it can't be done, just that it shouldn't. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. In the end, it's your and those around you''s arses so I guess as long as you think it's OK, than there isn't much we can do.

BTW:I like the shooting analogy. Why don't soldiers wear their gas mask all the time going into battle when the enemy may have gas? Maybe because while you can shoot (on a range) with the mask on, you shoot far more accurately without it, with faster follow up and better peripheral vision.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I'm wearing my mask right now! It's got a cool heads up display, and I've got satellite radio piped in so I can listen to trance music while I clean the head!
    I can imagine how you prepare to go on a date... safety first!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I can imagine how you prepare to go on a date... safety first!
    If I'm going on a date, I clean the whole thing
    IAFF

Forum Member

If I'm going on a date, I clean the whole thing
    I heard you just clean the tip.
    FWDbuff likes this.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I think that from now on whenever I am at the firehouse I will wear full bunker gear all of the time, with my mask on; just to be ready and to save 8.09876394 seconds. I wont wear the pack though, that would be silly, I'll leave that in the truck.
    We sit in the rig with full gear on, with the rig idling on the apron. We figured out it really cuts our turnout time. We even have 2 pieces for every company, so the oncoming shift can get their gear on and on the apron before the off going shift backs into quarters and stows their gear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Which is, quite possibly, the very worst time to be conducting it.
    Possibly, but not always. Ever been to a fire where it's hard to even tell which house is burning? A lot of sizeups are also completed before you even get off the truck. Every fire is different.

Forum Member

No one is saying it can't be done, just that it shouldn't. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. In the end, it's your and those around you''s arses so I guess as long as you think it's OK, than there isn't much we can do.

BTW:I like the shooting analogy. Why don't soldiers wear their gas mask all the time going into battle when the enemy may have gas? Maybe because while you can shoot (on a range) with the mask on, you shoot far more accurately without it, with faster follow up and better peripheral vision.
    I don't know why some of you guys take every statement as an absolute.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    I suspect both of your statements, yours and the Snowman's are correct.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    I suspect both of your statements, yours and the Snowman's are correct.

I was waiting for someone to hit that softball.

Forum Member

I clean the whole thing, I may just use the tip, but that's all up to how the date goes.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I clean the whole thing, I may just use the tip, but that's all up to how the date goes.
    Incredibly good self asteem and a positive attitude.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Incredibly good self asteem and a positive attitude.
    word is it took him years of therapy. and a penis pump.

Forum Member

word is it took him years of therapy. and a penis pump.
    Insurance covered it, they even pay for the new jock straps!
    IAFF

Thread Information