Forum Member

Default Comprehensive and Specific Firefighter Fitness

I wanted to share some info about a firefighter fitness program that has provided some great results to firefighters throughout our region. We spent a lot of time in Whatcom County Washington searching for the "perfect" firefighter physical training program. We tried CrossFit, Core Performance, P90X and a number of other programs with some success. We discovered a program called "TACFIT" in 2005, and those who trained consistently experienced unprecedented improvements in physical performance and body composition while remaining injury free. We conducted an informal study using this program in 2009. Check out the stats here:

RESULTS: 2009 Whatcom County Firefighters TACFIT Challenge

Since then, we have fine tuned this program to meet our occupational needs. We spent 2 years developing a comprehensive physical training program specifically for firefighters. Check out the website:

TACFIT Fire Fighter

Let me know if you have any questions.

Forum Member

Ryan,

Do you guys do any barbell/basic strength work?

How does your program translate over to absolute strength? (Squat, bench, DL, press)? Just curious. I see a lot of bodyweight stuff...your guys are obviously strong but I don't see any major strength lifts.

Program looks good, especially the mobility aspects and CST.

Forum Member

"Do you guys do any barbell/basic strength work?

How does your program translate over to absolute strength? (Squat, bench, DL, press)? Just curious. I see a lot of bodyweight stuff...your guys are obviously strong but I don't see any major strength lifts.

Program looks good, especially the mobility aspects and CST."

Thanks for checking out the program!

First Alarm does not utilize barbells, olympic lifts, etc. We use a lot of "simple" tools such as clubbells, kettlebells, medicine balls, etc. The attributes that we focus on in the TACFIT Fire Fighter: First Alarm program are dynamic body weight movement, core strength, metabolic conditioning, mobility and recovery. Future programs will build on these attributes, and the dedicated strength days will incorporate more heavy lifting. You probably won't see strength gains translate specifically to improved bench press numbers for example, but you will see gains in expressible strength through a full range of motion. Firefighters that have been through the program have noted improved strength, conditioning and mobility specific to firefighting tasks/evolutions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some great videos. Overall i think its a great program my only qualm would be that some of the movements are a too advanced for someone just starting off and would need a coach for proper form.

Forum Member

"Some great videos. Overall i think its a great program my only qualm would be that some of the movements are a too advanced for someone just starting off and would need a coach for proper form."

Yeah, some of the videos demonstrate more complex movements. Each exercise in the program has 4 "skill levels". Crew members can participate in the same workout, but they may perform exercises differently depending on baseline fitness. The complexity of the movement and/or weight being used will increase as strength, conditioning and mobility improve. Each exercise and training protocol has specific instructional and follow along videos to help master the technique. Thanks for checking out the website!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RProv View Post
    "Some great videos. Overall i think its a great program my only qualm would be that some of the movements are a too advanced for someone just starting off and would need a coach for proper form."

Yeah, some of the videos demonstrate more complex movements. Each exercise in the program has 4 "skill levels". Crew members can participate in the same workout, but they may perform exercises differently depending on baseline fitness. The complexity of the movement and/or weight being used will increase as strength, conditioning and mobility improve. Each exercise and training protocol has specific instructional and follow along videos to help master the technique. Thanks for checking out the website!
    No problem - it seems like a firefighter version of P90X, have you thought about giving examples of how each movement can benefit the firefighter in specific situations? CPAT tes, Save Your Own, Back to Basics, Bail outs, hose managment etc? I'll pass some of your youtube vid's onto a few of the firefighters around here I think it would benefit from it.
    Cheers

Thread Information