Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Just a firefighter who happens to be a volunteer

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by kwoo222 View Post
    ...hey everyone, look at me...
    Care to take a bit of advice? You've been doing this for 1 month. I've been doing this nearly 20 years. Fyred has been doing it a hell of a lot longer than that. Listen to us: you're getting off on the wrong foot. Quit patting yourself on the back - you have 30 DAYS on the department.

It's not about other member's lack of passion, it's about having having other commitments. People have two jobs, family commitments, church functions, meetings at the Mason lodge, vacations, and about 10,000 other things that take their time away from the firehouse.

It's commendable that you're doing as much as you can at the firehouse, but it might be time for a bit of a reality check: with virtually no training or experience under your belt, you're little more than a civilian in turnout gear. You have a lot to accomplish still: basic training, experience on calls, making mistakes, learning from those mistakes, attending meetings, etc. As you do these things, you'll find that there has to be a balance between work, family, volunteering, education, and other things.

There's nothing wrong with your enthusiasm at all. But to bash the other members of a department that you've been a member of for a month is a great way to alienate yourself altogether.
    slackjawedyokel and kwoo222 like this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

FyredUp - ditto, you said it all.

There is nothing worst than the know it all who keeps reminding you how he knows it all. No one will listen to him, even when he is right. The fire service is 3rd on the list behind family and the job. When he gets 5-10 yrs in the service he can tell us a little about the volunteer fire service. God, I hate that word, volly and I am not a newbie to the fire service.
    kwoo222 likes this.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    FyredUp - ditto, you said it all.

There is nothing worst than the know it all who keeps reminding you how he knows it all. No one will listen to him, even when he is right. The fire service is 3rd on the list behind family and the job. When he gets 5-10 yrs in the service he can tell us a little about the volunteer fire service. God, I hate that word, volly and I am not a newbie to the fire service.
    When I was chief of my #1 POC FD I always told my firefighters that family and work came first. All I asked for was to meet the minimums for training and anything above that was gravy in my eyes. For the most part they did go above minimums most of the time, but when they had family or works issues I understood and knew they would come back full swing when they could.

To me most often the kind of blather I hear coming from guys like kwoo222 comes from 18 to early 20 year olds that have no family of their own and most often do not have a regular full time job.

Again, enthusiasm is good, stupid games are bad and break up the necessary cohesiveness of the fire department.
    kwoo222 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Sorry for giving my thoughts. I just thought I'd get in the post. My intentions were not to be cocky. I go on runs to learn. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe I do need a reality check....but in my eyes I've just scratched the surface and hardly know anything that's why I show up. I love to educate myself. And btw I have a full time job work 70+ hours a week selling vehicles I own my own trailer and have my head on straight. I'm 22! I take care of my priorities first then firefifhting. 90 percent of my calls just come in the middle of the night so I have nothing going on during that particular time. Again I know nothing I guess this is how a probie gets treated in the fire service. Best of luck to you all and stay safe... the probie who only holds a cpr cert.

Forum Member

30 whole days huh? Most of us have more time on the crapper than that.

Golden Rule for new guys is STFU AND LISTEN!
    FyredUp and kwoo222 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

A lot of newbs hit a lot of runs at first, so naturally outpace the "older" folks. Nothing new there. I'd opine that saying so is just a statement of fact.

The same thing happens all through the spectrum. A few people make the bulk of the calls. I used to do a detailed synopsis of who made how many of each call. Besides being a review of what we ran for the year, I always hoped that it might entice some folks to try to get closer to the top of the list.

Since I try to make any call that I can make, I was usually at or near the top of the list. I'm convinced that some members thought that the only reason I put the list together was so I could show off. I would have loved to be fourth or fifth on the list, but I was't going to skip calls just so I could do so. The other members were going to have to step up and take in more calls. Never happened.

Of course, they'll always be there for the "big one," but they never seem to make those, either.

There was a day when the siren would bring in a dozen or more people. It took a significant working structure fire to require mutual aid. Not a lot of those responding were interior, though.

Nowadays we need three departments (stations) to get that same 12-15 people out the door.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwoo222 View Post
    Sorry for giving my thoughts. I just thought I'd get in the post. My intentions were not to be cocky. I go on runs to learn. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe I do need a reality check....but in my eyes I've just scratched the surface and hardly know anything that's why I show up. I love to educate myself. And btw I have a full time job work 70+ hours a week selling vehicles I own my own trailer and have my head on straight. I'm 22! I take care of my priorities first then firefifhting. 90 percent of my calls just come in the middle of the night so I have nothing going on during that particular time. Again I know nothing I guess this is how a probie gets treated in the fire service. Best of luck to you all and stay safe... the probie who only holds a cpr cert.
    You shouldn't be sorry for "giving your thoughts" --- you should be sorry that you have that mindset. print your statement out and reread it in 15 years and reevaluate.
    ?

Forum Member

Default The Curse Of The FNG

This is an all too common occurrence in my dept. and area. We like to call em' IKE, KIA, or the ever popular 2-20 (Definitions to follow) I got OTJ in an era where a probie's job was to listen and learn, not talk. As an old-timer once told me many moons ago, there is no such thing as a probie with an opinion. Now I do encourage the newb's to participate as much as possible and to ask questions, but I also stress on a continuous basis at the firehouse to respect the senior more salty guys, just because they arenít in the upper echelon of percentage now, doesn't mean they werenít 15 years ago when we use to run a working fire a day.

Definitions:

IKE: I Know EVERYTHING
    KIA: Knows IT ALL
    and my favorite
    2-20: On the job 2, thinks they are on 20.
    Gary
    Advanced Firefighter -T.R.F.D
    Engine Co. #1 "The House On The Hill"

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Forum Member

I've put myself in check the last few days. Idk what got into me.

Forum Member

Don't misunderstand us though, enthusiasm is good, eagerness is good, a willingness to learn is good, a willingness to train is good, the ability to learn from the veterans and to listen to their tales of firefighting is good, and being available to go on calls is good. The problem is the cockiness, the know it all, the I am better than those that came before me, especially when you are essentially untrained and little more than a gopher at this point.

Keep your ego and your mouth in check and you may find out those who you criticized know far more than you give them credit for. Good luck.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Don't misunderstand us though, enthusiasm is good, eagerness is good, a willingness to learn is good, a willingness to train is good, the ability to learn from the veterans and to listen to their tales of firefighting is good, and being available to go on calls is good. The problem is the cockiness, the know it all, the I am better than those that came before me, especially when you are essentially untrained and little more than a gopher at this point.

Keep your ego and your mouth in check and you may find out those who you criticized know far more than you give them credit for. Good luck.
    Thank you.

edg
    Forum Member

knoo222 i am 48 been doing this for atleast 7 years so much for just because you 20 and new at this. i sympathise with you. we still have the same few people showing just like you do, and yes i have a problem with that. I am not beating my chest saying look at me, but if your a volunteer that means to me that your actualy volunteering to help. Some the only time they sow up when there is smoke is when we BBQ. Having only a few people on the fire ground is dangerous. EMR training is expensive so if the Dept. invests money to train you i expect a return on our investment. As for learning from the older guys yes you can but make sure they have the proper training to be able to teach you, not the I know cause i been here 10 years. Also i work 2 jobs but still responde whenever i can. Good luck and every Dept. should try to be the best they can be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post
    knoo222 i am 48 been doing this for atleast 7 years so much for just because you 20 and new at this. i sympathise with you. we still have the same few people showing just like you do, and yes i have a problem with that. I am not beating my chest saying look at me, but if your a volunteer that means to me that your actualy volunteering to help. Some the only time they sow up when there is smoke is when we BBQ. Having only a few people on the fire ground is dangerous. EMR training is expensive so if the Dept. invests money to train you i expect a return on our investment. As for learning from the older guys yes you can but make sure they have the proper training to be able to teach you, not the I know cause i been here 10 years. Also i work 2 jobs but still responde whenever i can. Good luck and every Dept. should try to be the best they can be.
    The point is kwoo222 has been on his FD for 30 days. He has neither the time on the FD, or the knowledge, or experience, to be judging others or posting derogatory comments on FH.com. Or more likely spouting off about it at the FD. He listened and realized that maybe he needs to get some time, training, and experience, for himself before his mouth writes checks his azz can't cash. I think that showed maturity and a willingness to learn.

As an instructor I have taught at over 100 volunteer FDs and let me make this clear there are and will always be slugs, T-shirt firefighters, or guys that only show up for the big one. Many times this happens because locally the officers for some reason won't step up and say meet the requirements or you will be gone. They have some idea that a full roster, no matter how worthless some of those names on the list are, is better than having slots to fill and nothing but highly motivated people on the FD until those slots are filled. Personally, I intensely dislike those guys that never show up for training but are right there ready to go for the big one, even though procedures and equipment have changed and they are more in the way than anything else.

I am a big fan of the mentoring program where a newbie is assigned to a senior firefighter (one with actual skills, knowledge of the FD, and training) to mentor the new firefighters. Someone that they can go to with questions and for help. Someone that will guide them along not only on the firefighting aspect of the job but the social aspect of the department. Sadly, neither of my POC FDs do that currently, well at least not officially at this point.

People are all busy thse days, but my Dad always said if you want something done give it to a busy man because he has figured out the most efficient way to accomplish things. You work 2 jobs...Well, I have worked multiple jobs my entire adult life. I recently retired from a career FD, but while there I was a member of 2 POC FDs (still am), taught for the tech college, and picked up odds and ends jobs here and there. Funny thing is I was always in the top 5 for responses with my # 1 POC FD and in the top 10 in my #2 POC FD. To be honest it is the luck of the draw when you are a volunteer. If you are around when the call comes in great, if you are working or out of town, oh well you missed that one.

The truth is we often learn more with our ears open and our mouth closed, unless we are asking questions.
    conrad427 likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information