Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Phoenix 2011

Forum Member

Thumbs up Phoenix 2011

Anybody else get invited to an interview next month? I just got an invitation from the written they administered last May. Also, if anyone on here works for PFD right now and is willing to answer a couple questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
    enginetercera likes this.

Forum Member

Really? Email or hard copy? If you don't mind me asking, what did you score last May?

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

I got one as well. I am scheduled for May 15th. I am shocked. I thought the written test was pretty much the end of it.

Forum Member

arizonaguy85, I believe I got an 81 (would have to dig out the letter to be sure) and it was a hard copy. Bruno, I'm the 18th and just as surprised as you. Everything I read said they would be hiring the SAFER class and then not doing anything until 2013 or 2014. I'm excited though!

Forum Member

Very interesting.

I passed the test as well, cannot remember the score thou.

Reviewing the documents from the recruitment period, it states that only the individuals who passed the written test will be contacted for an initial interview. Also that the eligible list is valid for a year, but that period may be extended if HR approves it. Also, in the language of the SAFER legislation, there is a "performance period", which is basically a requirement for FDs granted with the benefits to continue hiring to maintain a certain number of positions during a certain period (usually years). I know of a FD in this area (where I live) that has held two academies yearly, since the year they were granted the federal benefit... that might be the answer.

Did any of you have veteran's points?

Let's see what's next.

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skitahoe View Post
    arizonaguy85, I believe I got an 81 (would have to dig out the letter to be sure) and it was a hard copy. Bruno, I'm the 18th and just as surprised as you. Everything I read said they would be hiring the SAFER class and then not doing anything until 2013 or 2014. I'm excited though!
    I hear ya, ski. I thought the exact same thing. I got an 83 (and some change %) and missed last year's oral interviews by one point!

I had heard rumors of them doing a brand new test for 2012. Good for the folks who tested last year though!

Forum Member

They're looking to hire around 12 for a small academy. They pulled the scores from 83-80% because they're only hiring so many, they didn't want a whole lot of applicants to have to interview. They're pushing and hoping to have 1 more large academy at the end of the year or at the beginning of 2013. If they do, they'll pull one last time from this list and interview 79 to whatever number of applicants they decide to bring in. They usually try to use the list for as long as they can or push that 2 year mark because of the high number of applicants they have that test.

I got a lot of this information from friends on the department, a BC and a friend who works in HR for Phoenix Fire and is apart of this current hiring process.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info krewmoney77. Sounds like somewhat of a smaller pool of candidates which is good for us if it's true!

Forum Member

Yeah. It could really go both ways. Just depends on how many were selected for that 3% range.

Forum Member

I have an interview on the 18th as well. I scored an 83 last time. If they are really taking just the 80-83's then this is a good opportunity for us! Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skitahoe View Post
    Anybody else get invited to an interview next month? I just got an invitation from the written they administered last May. Also, if anyone on here works for PFD right now and is willing to answer a couple questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
    PM with any questions you have, I work for Phoenix

Forum Member

Hey Guys -

Saw that Phoenix FD received another SAFER grant last week. Any idea if they're keeping the old list or preparing for a new test? Any information is always good and thanks for reading.

Forum Member

Where did you see that? This is the most updated list:

http://www.fema.gov/library/viewReco...search&id=5926

There is a grant for the City of Phoenix... but in MD.

Forum Member

I could be looking at the wrong documents, but i found it here. I've never that list that you posted.

http://www.fema.gov/award-year-2011

I know it's for the 2011 Award Year, but it was just awarded on the 27th of July.

Forum Member

from what ive heard, theyre going to do a new test.

Forum Member

They're hiring one more time from the list from what I heard. Scores 79 to whatever number applicants they take. They won't test again because they need this academy to be picked and prepared to start the academy in January. This will be the last hiring though. I've heard up to 28 guys possibly. Make sure your EMT's are current though. A lot of guys didn't move forward to the 2nd round because of it.

Forum Member

No new test. It will be a class of 28 from the current list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phx123 View Post
    No new test. It will be a class of 28 from the current list.
    Thank you phx123 for the confirmation. Nice to hear it from someone within. Appreciate it.

Forum Member

Some of you who had second interviews last time but were not selected for the academy might be getting calls for a job offer. This isn't set in stone but don't be surprised if it happens. A larger hiring list was established in case the SAFER grant was approved for the current academy, which obviously it wasn't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by krewmoney77 View Post
    They're hiring one more time from the list from what I heard. Scores 79 to whatever number applicants they take. They won't test again because they need this academy to be picked and prepared to start the academy in January. This will be the last hiring though. I've heard up to 28 guys possibly. Make sure your EMT's are current though. A lot of guys didn't move forward to the 2nd round because of it.
    Krew,
    Do you know for sure that the EMT kept people from moving forward??

Thread Information