Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backsteprescue123

Thread: Rescue apparatus

Forum Member

Default Rescue apparatus

Folks I have joined in on a few of these threads before and I know this is not the exact place for it (I posted it originally in the apparatus section), but with the volume of experience in the room I had to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright folks posing a question here. I am not looking for out of this world, crazy ideas here just common sense answers. I have been involved with the FD for 15 years, came from a large, well known department and moved to a smaller, but medium size paid department 170 suppression staff, with a population of avg. 200,000. Been involved with USAR for 14 of those years. We are in the process of specing a heavy rescue. Anyone learned lessons from previous purchases I would LOVE feedback!!! Just to name a few options I am looking to ask for.

1.) PTO driven vs hydraulic generator - size is of issue as well
    2.) hydraulic pumps mounted vs. Auxillary/ removable
    3.) # of reels- looking at 2-hyd., 2-elec, and 2 Air
    4.) Cascade system- looking at 4 bottle
    5.) light tower
    6.) Chiefs are contemplating a small command Area in cab, it will be large cab spec, i.e. 138"

I have researched this, but nobody get's it right the first time. This WILL BE a walk around body with coffin storage on top and a ladder no stairwell. Thank you in advance for you comments and experience. rsoup

Forum Member

Hello 72,
    Sorry for the delay in a response. I think most of your specs are well thought out.

"1.) PTO driven vs hydraulic generator - size is of issue as well." A PTO gen is very reliable and cost effective.
    "2.) hydraulic pumps mounted vs. Auxillary/ removable." I'm a fan of front mounted tools. This allows you to protect the scene with the truck and still have good protection for people working the tools. It's nice to have two reels - spreader and cutter. Most rescues come with 100' tool reels. It will be important to have a good portable unit with a lighter combo unit. This will give you options if you need work away from the truck or power rams/mini cutters in addition to the two truck reels. A good portable pump should power two tools at the same time. Most good quality pumps will work with 200' of hose. So you will have options of extending your truck reels with one or more of your portable lines if needed (if your pump allows for that). Now would be a good time to upgrade your tools/pump if needed. Try not to let the dooms day crowd select the heaviest, strongest, largest, tool ever made. Just get the best you can afford that will cut Boron in a timely fashion and meets the needs of the majority of your target hazards.
    "3.) # of reels- looking at 2-hyd., 2-elec, and 2 Air." I would have two 100'ish tool lines up front. 2-150' electric reels, one on each side with j-box. 1-150' low air pressure reel and 1-150'ish high air pressure line. That would be a minimum. You can add or change locations as needed. I've haven't heard of too many departments needing more that that.
    "4.) Cascade system- looking at 4 bottle." You will need to ask yourself if you really need a mobile cascade system or not. You can do A LOT of work with a 4 bottle high pressure setup on the truck. I would recommend ditching the cascade and just go with bottles (unless you absolutely need it). Most firehouses have a bottle fill station and the only thing you might need to add is a high pressure fill line so you can top off the bottles once you get back to the station. If you go with a cascade system you may find yourself doing this anyway when the pump breaks or fails to be reliable (like ours). Going with a 4 bottle setup will save you thousands of $$$ without really sacrificing much except for bottle filling. I would also recommend having some hour bottles storage holes. This would be a luxury item for running your manifolds (not needed but nice).
    "5.) light tower." Yes. The best your gen can power.
    "6.) Chiefs are contemplating a small command Area in cab, it will be large cab spec, i.e. 138." What ever your needs are. You can do some interesting things in the back these days. I'm not a fan of Command areas in front line trucks. They end up camping out and extending the incident which removes the truck from service longer. Worse yet they will start calling you on Hazmats and prolonged law enforcement engagements. We like to use out truck for rehab on cold/hot days and that would be an issue if all the chiefs were piled in side. Again, if you need it go for it.

Also, get a good winch and spec receivers on all 4 sides. If you are able to, get high directional anchor rings up high on the back and one on each side towards the cab. If you ever go with the Paratech monopod kit you will be happy to have something to tie it back to. Also, this gives you good options for over the side rope connections (or ladder a-frames).

Good luck

From operating our Heavy Rescue Squad and spending time riding at numerous others, I can pass along what seems to work for us and other departments I have intimate knowledge of.

1.) PTO generator works great for us. 30kw, hardly know its there until you need it. However, I know of some places that prefer the hydraulic generator so that they can use a larger hydraulic reservoir to also power their hydraulic tools.

2.) We have a removable pump. Works great for us, but I would prefer to have a mounted electric pump as well as a removable one.

3.) We have 2 hyd reels, 2 air, and 3 electric. This in addition to GFI receptacles on the sides of the rig are more than enough for our needs.

4.) We've got a 4 bottle cascade with fill station. Our rig is a walk around and the bottles are laid horizontally front to back in the 2nd and 3rd compartments. For our needs, this setup has worked pretty well.... just takes forever and a day to fill.

5.) We have a 6000w Will Burt Night Scan tower on the roof of the box, just forward of the coffin compartments. Haven't had a single problem with it in the 7 years we've had the truck. Can't say that about some manufacturers that others in the area have gone with.

6.) I would strongly recommend AGAINST putting a command cab in the chassis. If it is a walk in and you have the space to dedicate to a small command station at the front of the walk in with radios, command board, etc. then by all means, go for it. But I would never want a command cab if it were a walk around squad. I need that space for guys.

Some more tips:

- As the other poster said... a good winch is essential. As is multiple receiver points. Sadly I was not on our committee when the rig was spec'd but the salesman told the committee that receiver points could not be installed on the sides of the rig so we ended up with just front and back points.

- High anchor points of some sort are also a great idea.

- Be sure to plan almost every square inch of the truck. Slots for airbags are something easily overlooked but useful as hell. Slide outs are great, but put dividers on the trays so everything stays organized. Also, definitely look for slide out/tilt down trays for the upper parts of the compartment so no space is wasted. Additionally, plan ahead for where your heavier items will go such as spare SCBA bottles and cribbing so you can plan accordingly and balance the rig. We have 18 space scba bottles on the bottom of the 2nd officers side compartment and 60 pieces of 4"x4"x24" cribbing plus step chocks/wedges in the 2nd drivers side comaprtment. Plan ahead and have some sort of door or netting to restrain the cribbing and/or the scba bottles (if the rack doesn't secure them from partially sliding out).

- If you plan on having coffin compartments or some sort of access anywhere at the top of the rig, you should definitely look at some sort of absorbent hopper. The thing works great.

- Something else that has worked out great for us is having the truck set up for Rescue on the driver's side and Fire on the passenger side. It could be vice versa, etc. But it has made things easy because all the members know that depending on what kind of call you're on, anything you need is usually on just one side of the truck.

- For mounting equipment, check here: http://www.endroad.com/index.php/fir...ick-fist-mount We had been using another company for our tool mounting needs and these guys do the same thing for a MUCH better price. (Not affiliated with them at all, just someone who appreciates the money we've saved)

I could go on and on. Shoot me a PM or email me and I'd be glad to help with any questions or ideas. I'm no expert, but would be happy to help brother!
    RangerJake72 likes this.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

P.S.- Just noticed you said it will be a walk around with coffins. Disregard any suggestions I made for walk ins. Sorry!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the awesome input folks!!!

Thread Information