Thread: Afg 2012

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Afg 2012

Does anyone have any video laryngoscope or portable ventilator narratives they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

J. Price
    jhprice3@msn.com

Forum Member

Did anyone get awarded an Ambulance? Would love to know how many and maybe see a narrative.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I would also like to know how many ambulances were awarded. Being moved to priority one I expected a bunch to purchased.
    "There's no such thing as a bad day,
    Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

Forum Member

For FDs or for EMS? Wasn't an FD ambulance that I've heard of, looked like all EMS-side vehicles were ambulances. Not many there either, but then again only about enough money for 20 of them if they would even hit the 25% max mark, which they didn't. Regionals ate up most of the money and some of the vehicle dough too.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, veteran grant folks. First a question. Looks like we are in the running for a 2011 SAFER, with a 1199a listed. This was a regional proposal. Can we come back in the next round of AFG and go regional to try and equip the firefighters recruited in SAFER? If so, has anyone had success in this that would lend some pointers? Second, anyone out there had success in regional SCBA that would care to share?
    asemedic@yahoo.com, greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

You could apply to put the gear on these new folks, but problem is that the SAFER probably won't be awarded and implemented with solid results by the time AFG 2012 is over. So the new recruits won't even be on the rolls in all likelihood, so just trying to cover everyone else there would reduce the chances of funding additional PPE in subsequent years.

Forum Member

Hey everyone,

Currently we have been trying to replace a engine with the AFG grant. In the past we had no such luck, I am new at this and was looking for some help with any narratives or help you could provide me. The engine we are trying to replace is a 1979 Hahn our other engine is also 70's model as well.

Appreicate any imput
    Thank You

Steve
    SMcDaniels156@aol.com
    Stephen A McDaniels
    Chief
    Mocanaqua Vol Fire Company
    Luzerne County Pennsylvania

Forum Member

Have any of you attended the AFG seminars yet? Any new choice tidbits?
    I'll be going This Thursday in SO PO Maine
    Ed

Forum Member

Nothing earth-shattering based on the PPT, most of the insight comes from having the body in front of you to ask questions so still worth going in case anyone was on the fence.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is just a reminder to everyone that going to a workshop is still a recommended best practice here. AFG has really taken a giant step forward, technologically speaking, and is giving the rural, isolated departments (and those that just cannot travel) the opportunity to gain access to these workshops by also offerring them in webinar format this year. Too far away, too busy, can't travel? No excuses now...AFG Workshop Schedule - REGION I
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing set for Tennessee yet. oh well.

Forum Member

Where is the information on the webinar? I would definitely go through that as the closest seminar is over 2 hours away and during the work week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    Where is the information on the webinar? I would definitely go through that as the closest seminar is over 2 hours away and during the work week.
    Region 1 is hosting the webinars.

AFG Workshop Schedule - REGION I

MembersZone Subscriber

UUUHHHHH, look closely guy.There is a link in my post above that will give you that information guy.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

So your saying it is the ones that say WEBINAR in all capitals? Why do they have to hide pertinent information like that? I was looking for a separate hyperlink in the page.

My bad

Forum Member

Here are some tid-bits I learned at the workshop I recently attended. These are "choice" for me; may be old news to others. If I am wrong in what I jotted down, please correct me:

- You have a better chance of an award if your project is considered a FEMA HIGH priority; high priority items are mentioned on the FEMA AFG website; this is a no-brainer but worth mentioning

- check the AFG website FAQs for an address where to send your letters of support; doesn't hurt to get local and congressional letters of support

- when describing financial need in the narrative, include local info like trends in your local community economy, unemployment, etc.

- in the Additional Information section, it never hurts to thank the readers/reviewers for their time

- your population and call volume are not a factor for any Operations and Firefighter Safety projects; they are taken into consideration for Vehicle projects

- while the presenters couldn't/wouldn't get into details about which statistics are weighted in the application pre-screening (i.e. computer scoring), they said pay attention to the guidance documents on the AFG website which provide clues to how the sections of the narrative are weighted; I was trying to remember previous year's application - was a "%" listed next to each section of the narrative showing how much it was weighted (e.g. 35%, 10%, etc.)

That's all the tid-bits that I got outside of the powerpoint slide.

~Skojo

MembersZone Subscriber

Skojo you hit them all with the exception of the one about "training. If you need training, for a piece of equipment you have just asked for, it goes under "other" with that item. It isnot a sperate item except inthe case of asking for training for FFI&II or Fire Officer etc.

If I had to pick one thing to pay attention to more than anything else here, it would be the comment about picking something which is listed as a "high priority". I am not kidding when I say that for this year, if it does not have and "H" stamped next to it; don't even thnk about it.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the AFG allowance is for a mini pumper?

Forum Member

Does anyone know what the allowance is for full SCBA's are (Full pack)? Thanks

Forum Member

Does anyone have a successful SCBA narrative to share? I have a successful 2011 thermal imager, remote control deck gun & portable monitor narrative to share.
    Thanks......

Forum Member

SCBA $5500 including mask, pack, 2 - 30min cylinders, might be able to get a little more for 45s or 60s.

Mini-pumpers is a wide-range, pickup chassis max out around $150k, gotten up to $230-240k on International or Freightliner if they have 4WD, CAFS.

HuntPA, for a long time now the forum software parses posts and creates clickable links instead of displaying URLs. Hard to tell sometimes since we can also edit the color of our text so it's not always apparent someone did put a link in their post. That's why I always do Click HERE or something like that. Been on the other end searching before myself.

Also just so people aren't confused, the place to put training for a specific piece of equipment is under the Additional Funding Requested link, not Other. Would be just a matter of time before someone else brought up the fact that they removed the "other" choice from dropdown menus in the app, so whatever you're asking for has to fit a specific category. The Additional Funding is also where sales tax, shipping, and any other costs over and above the price of the item being requested. Sales tax only if your state doesn't give it back like North Carolina does. I know SC, CA and some others collect it from non-profits.
    Last edited by BC79er; 06-03-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks Brian

Forum Member

Default regional wildland PPE

Was thinking of applying for regional wildland PPE. The 2011 AFG guidance document says that "Firefighting PPE" is an eligible expense. The 2012 AFG guidance document says that EMS PPE is an eligible expense. Is this a conscious change and wre we out of luck this year?

~Skojo

Forum Member

No, it's just under the Firefighting PPE heading. So wildland, EMS, and structural PPE are all eligible, rescue is not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know what the max allowed is for a fire apparatus. We are in the rural category and I know pumpers are a High priority, but I want to find out what the "magic" number is.

Thread Information