Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FyredUp
  • 1 Post By Rialaigh

Thread: I am sure this will be controversial, but I ike it.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default I am sure this will be controversial, but I ike it.

You may recognize where I adapted this from...

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that Fire Engine -- you NEED me on that Fire Engine.

We use words like "Brotherhood," "Honor," and "Trust." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent protecting life and property. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very fire protection that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a fire hose and face the dragon. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!
    RangerJake72 likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You may recognize where I adapted this from...

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that Fire Engine -- you NEED me on that Fire Engine.

We use words like "Brotherhood," "Honor," and "Trust." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent protecting life and property. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very fire protection that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a fire hose and face the dragon. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!
    Anyone who is a regular in the Baltimore City threads over at www.thewatchdesk.com knows of "The Colonel." He has not been seen in the last year or so, but used to regularly bash the admin of the BCFD using the dialogue of Colonel Jessup's each and every scene adapted to a particular political situation within the BCFD at the time. Some of them were downright hilarious.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I can understand the opinion, I just can't agree with it and am saddened to see it associated with the fire service.

In my opinion a tax payer doesn't have to pick up a hose to have a right to ask questions or express concerns about the way things are going with my department.

They pay for the trucks, my bunker gear, tools, training and more. many of those same people who will never pick up a hose never hesitate to lay down a donation when asked for their support. That kind of support doesn't come from the "get out of my way and don't dare question me" attitude.

On the scene I'm pleasant but not overly concerned about chatting, I've got a job to do that comes before PR, off the scene there's nothing I enjoy more than getting out to meet and talk about the fire service with members of my community. If they have questions or even want to air a grievance with something they percieve I'm more than happy to listen, If it's a legit concern I can address it with the appropriate channels, if it's paranoia, nosiness or something else where a real concern doesn't exist then the citizen goes away feeling like their firefighters care and are at least willing to listen.

This attitude is shared by just about everyone in my department, it pays off in spades in an outstanding level of support given to us by our community.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    I can understand the opinion, I just can't agree with it and am saddened to see it associated with the fire service.

In my opinion a tax payer doesn't have to pick up a hose to have a right to ask questions or express concerns about the way things are going with my department.

They pay for the trucks, my bunker gear, tools, training and more. many of those same people who will never pick up a hose never hesitate to lay down a donation when asked for their support. That kind of support doesn't come from the "get out of my way and don't dare question me" attitude.

On the scene I'm pleasant but not overly concerned about chatting, I've got a job to do that comes before PR, off the scene there's nothing I enjoy more than getting out to meet and talk about the fire service with members of my community. If they have questions or even want to air a grievance with something they percieve I'm more than happy to listen, If it's a legit concern I can address it with the appropriate channels, if it's paranoia, nosiness or something else where a real concern doesn't exist then the citizen goes away feeling like their firefighters care and are at least willing to listen.

This attitude is shared by just about everyone in my department, it pays off in spades in an outstanding level of support given to us by our community.
    Um, Dude, lighten up before your head explodes okay?

Of course they don't have to pick up a hose, and of course they can ask questions. But they also don't have the right to TELL me how to do the job of firefighter when they haven't got on single damn clue about the actual job.

The post was meant to be a bit humorous. Sorry I puked in your Cheerios. Get back to painting your entire world gray.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Um, Dude, lighten up before your head explodes okay?

Of course they don't have to pick up a hose, and of course they can ask questions. But they also don't have the right to TELL me how to do the job of firefighter when they haven't got on single damn clue about the actual job.

The post was meant to be a bit humorous. Sorry I puked in your Cheerios. Get back to painting your entire world gray.

You title a thread "I am sure this will be controversial, but I ike it." and then you jump his nuts for writing out a well written response countering your post.

Go back to that place where people "need you on that fire engine" and quit trying to pee in his Cheerios ....
    ffhh74 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rialaigh View Post
    You title a thread "I am sure this will be controversial, but I ike it." and then you jump his nuts for writing out a well written response countering your post.

Go back to that place where people "need you on that fire engine" and quit trying to pee in his Cheerios ....
    Well you beat me to it but so I'll just say "What Rialaigh said"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rialaigh View Post
    You title a thread "I am sure this will be controversial, but I ike it." and then you jump his nuts for writing out a well written response countering your post
    On one hand, I agree with this.
    On the other hand, I think EGregory needs to take the lump of coal out of his *** to see if it has turned into diamond yet.

Taxpayers certainly have the right to ask questions without picking up a hose. Politicians who want to make drastic budget cuts however do not.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

People can ask questions if they really want an answer, not if they just want to dictate how we do our job.

Forum Member

EGregory and Rialaigh,

You both seem like the kind of guy that sits at the kitchen table looking for reasons to whine about stuff. I find it pathetically sad that satire and humor seem to escape both of you. Anyone that knows me on here would sense immediately, like FWD did, that this was in fact satire.

Either way, I don't imagine I will lose any sleep, or see as high a blood pressure increase over your posts as you did over mine. Have a nice day!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    People can ask questions if they really want an answer, not if they just want to dictate how we do our job.
    There's a guy that USED to be on my local VFD, but quit years ago. He's on a career dept. like I am. He's now Bitching because we bought a brand X from out of state, instead of a brand Y in our back yard. Nevermind that brand X is cheaper, better, will be done months sooner, and is the same brand as our other trucks. To me, he lost his right to bitch when he quit the dept. We did a LOT of research and work to spec the truck. I agree with your statment, hits the nail right on the head.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like it..... Great adaptation from a great actor and person.

johnsb, we had a local that was like this except he worked for the State and always questioned our tactics (why do you feel the need to always go interior and cut holes in the roof?) and stuff like that. Finally, at a meeting I had enough and grabbed an application and handed it to him. Never saw an app from him, but I made my point. The best part, I haven't seen him at a meeting since.
    Last edited by mikeyboy; 04-21-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well..............

Controversial??.... On FH.com??....... Nah, not here........ I too, take great exception to people who have no knowledge of our jobs, but attempt to tell us how to do things.... I always TRY to handle any questions with the respect and dignity that an inquiry from a taxpayer should receive. There are times that this can be difficult, such as explaining to a Lady why 5 of us went grocery shopping on a Fire Engine instead of one or two guys going in someone's car. Or the time we ran out of a Hardware store, piled on the rig and responded back to quarters. That ride generated several complaints from the unknowing neighbors, but the truth was that we had a "walk-in" Cardiac emergency, and the other units assigned to the station were out on a call already.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post

Taxpayers certainly have the right to ask questions without picking up a hose. Politicians who want to make drastic budget cuts however do not.
    Do tell.

So "politicians" don't have the "right" (or obligation) to balance the city/state/federal budget? Even if it gores your ox. Perhaps just floor it and run it off the cliff as in Greece/Euro?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Do tell.

So "politicians" don't have the "right" (or obligation) to balance the city/state/federal budget? Even if it gores your ox. Perhaps just floor it and run it off the cliff as in Greece/Euro?
    Ever see a politician cut his own staff or perks?

Most of them will cut fire stafing and either close or brown out stations... then blame the firefighters for it, especially when there is a major fire.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Brown out the station responding to the politicians house...I wonder how fast their tune would change!

Forum Member

I just re-read this topic and to me it is funnier today than when I first posted it.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

This whole "taxpayer" nonsense just twists my nuts. We're ALL taxpayers. Even the vollies everyone loves to bash at budget or new apparatus time. ( What you mean they pay the same taxes we do- ie their taxes fund that budget or new truck just like mine?) What makes one opinionated person any more important than anyone else?

A bit of back story:

For years, I worked for a public school. You wouldn't believe the calls we got that started with a chapter and verse quote of exactly how much that person paid in taxes... The funny part was- the person they were yelling at also lived in the district, and paid just as much tax. So did all their neighbors- even those who had no kids in school. It was like they thought we should kiss their shoes or something... Jeez- settle down Beavis, and speak your piece. But just so you know, there several thousand students in this school system, most of whom ride our busses. They and their families all have schedules to keep, too- and it would be nice if we got them to school and home on time, right?

Back on topic. I always enjoyed talking to people about what we do and why. I'm happy to answer questions or refer the person to someone else who could answer it. It just makes good sense, and it's the right thing to do.

BUT, nothing sticks in my craw like harsh condemnation, knee jerk over emotional criticism, ignorant demands, or just plain short sighted stupidity. Even worse are the axe grinders with an agenda. I try to keep my temper. I try to avoid coming off as a know it all. But sometimes I just can't let a particularly ignorant or nasty comment slide. There are more than a few "brothers" on youtube who could really use a good Gibbs slap.

And I do wish people would take the time to learn all the facts ( not just the convenient ones) before they start bitching about things. You guys listed some prime examples above.

Forum Member

I was already retired but told the MD fill the boot chairman to let me know when they were ging to do it and I would come back and run the booth for a morning.

So we are at the grocery store and greeting people before they enter. Most would toss a buck or so in, some went as high as $20. Some said no, whether politely or rudely. Either way I always said have a nice day. We had one crabby looking old dude walk up and I said we are collecting money for muscular dystrophy and he barks back at me "Why don't you collect money for your pension?" I smiled and said have a nice day. Now contrast that to the young mom with a little boy and girl that I talked to for few minutes gave them some stickers and the mom said I will get you on the way out. So she comes out and stuffs a $20 in the boot and the little girl hands me a bouquet of flowers. Talk about a boost! I floated on air for a while after that. All it took was being nice, talking to her and her kids and this was what I got in return.

There are all kinds of people out there ranging from sweet hearts to crabby old farts. In the end it is how we respond that matters.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information