Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Buff, I can't even make this up. I heard from a reliable source, that a member on the crew at the place I applied to, who is a volley chief, got his brother 1 of the 3 slots. I was so hyped up to tell you because when this person and I were conversing all I could was reading that post from you in my head...lol..

Is there any way that in the future I can be like..call someone and be like What's up? Why wasn't I considered or hired over a non-vet? like a vets advocacy program? I'm really aggravated and don't care if I make waves if it clears the BS up.
    As I suggested earlier, call NECPOC and see if they would be willing to talk to you, worst thing they can do is say no. If you dont get anything out of them, check with your elected officials, tell them you are dissatisfied with the hiring, that you are a vet and want to know why you did not get hired.

Check your PM's.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Griff: Remember that right now there are several hundred thousand folks with a 10 pt vets bonus on their side of the scoring package. You are not alone standing in line to make top of the list. That & $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

As far as hiring someone who is over qualified for a GS 4,5,or 6 position, They have funding for that level of employee and if they can get someone with GS 8 quals to work for that money then it's better for them.
    The same process played out after Vietnam when the market was saturated with vets.
    The only difference today is their are 50% fewer bases left in Conus.
    Much greater competition for the few jobs left.

Forum Member

So what you're telling me is that...even though I am qualified up to the GS-05 level for most agencies..that I probably won't be hired because they'd rather have a 6,7,8 who will work for less?

so my only option is to get as much certifications as possible? so in a few years I can be the guy who is qualified to the 07-08 level...applying to the 05-06 level?

and there are rarely more then 200 people..sometimes less then 100 who apply for these jobs..

Forum Member

Griff- Keep trying for the 5/6 jobs. Like I said earlier, you should call NECPOC and/or your elected officials and inquire about your status as a Vet. I don't agree with Island, unless things have changed in the last 7 years since I have gotten out, there were not that many vets who applied and the ones that were, were not quald for the spot and were beaten out by vollies who did have the quals. You are saying you have the quals, and the Vet status, I would be kicking over trash cans until you get answers to your questions- coming on here and asking a dried out former Fed FF seven years out of the system does not count....lol

Additionally, I am sure that any spots at Toby are being sucked up by guys that need ot get out of Monmouth, which closed a few years ago, but still maintains a "caretaker" status fire department- but even that will come to an end eventually. Also I hear a lot of guys at Combined Base Lakehurst/Dix/Mcguire are not happy with the new regime and are seeking other means of gainful employment.

Forum Member

don't know abo0ut some of the bases, but if they are flying bases, more than likely they are looking for people with arff experience or cert.

I think you have a better chance applying at city depts.

Forum Member

City depts: *I have to pay an application fee..so far I've paid 25-60 dollars to sit for the test.
    *I have to drive anywhere between 100-500 miles round trip, and when gas is $3.50 that
    can get expensive.
    *I have to make multiple trips (written, agility,polygraph)
    * often times these longer trips may require hotel rooms
    * Food, granted the dollar menu works but you don't want to be doing something when
    you are filled with grease.
    *Budget cuts, job security??

Federal Fire Dept: *I can apply from home, without using gas. FREE
    *I can obtain all my certs/training for FREE
    *My Vet status/purple heart/campaign ribbons actually mean something.
    *If I get laid off I get first shot at another job at any other base
    * I can retire in 12 years (I have 8 years federal service already)
    *I don't have to worry about eating carcinogens on a daily basis( not that I
    wouldn't mind a working fire every day, but I have to think about my family)
    * Better retirement

Umm...yea...I'll just use my GI bill and stick to getting every National Certification on the planet. DOD Fire is the way to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    DOD Fire is the way to go.

DOD Depts aint all they are cracked up to be.....I got out to go private sector municipal code enforcement/fire marshal......Because of a lot of the bull**** and plus the Fed FF Pay reform act of 2001 or 2002 (cant remember) with the bull**** they did with retirement really ****ed me off.....Plus if I could have I would have gotten on with the Philly FD in a heartbeat and never looked back at the DOD. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt be where I am now without the DOD, but it aint the Cats Meow.

And Fire49, from what this kid tells me, he should have been hired onto a DOD dept a year ago. He has all the certs, has the vets points....He's just doing something wrong with his resumix, or he needs to apply at more than one installation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    DOD Depts aint all they are cracked up to be.....I got out to go private sector municipal code enforcement/fire marshal......Because of a lot of the bull**** and plus the Fed FF Pay reform act of 2001 or 2002 (cant remember) with the bull**** they did with retirement really ****ed me off.....Plus if I could have I would have gotten on with the Philly FD in a heartbeat and never looked back at the DOD. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt be where I am now without the DOD, but it aint the Cats Meow.

And Fire49, from what this kid tells me, he should have been hired onto a DOD dept a year ago. He has all the certs, has the vets points....He's just doing something wrong with his resumix, or he needs to apply at more than one installation.
    I've applied to numerous facilities in numerous states for GS-04-05-and 06. I have proboard Fire I,II IFSAC Haz Mat awareness, Ops (core, ppe,product control) EMT, NIMS 100,200,300,400,700,800, I'm a basic vehicle rescue tech in PA, I'm testing out NFPA 1006 CORE rescue this weekend, Attending the Pa state fire academy in about 3 weeks..going for instructor I in the fall...3 tours to Iraq, purple heart, campaign medals (my DD214 is 2 pages), I volunteer on an ambulance...

The Resumex might be an issue, but according to the website as of 31 May of this year granted, the first 4 or 5 jobs I applied for I didn't have the paperwork concept down but I'm on top of it now.

I'm over it..I just got really attached to that 1 job. I know what I have to do, and I'll do it.

Forum Member

How old are you????

are they still working 72 hour work weeks???

and once again if you looking at a flying base, check the requirements, unless they take you as a gs-3, looks like they would be wanting arff

not sure if I posted this site::

DodFire.Com Front Page

DoDFire.com

FIRE JOBS

you might also do a serach on how to fill out a fed app, I know there use to be some ticks to it, but that was before they went to computer app.

also, you might try to contact the dept you are applying at to see if you can meet with them early on so they hae a fae to put to a name, like someone said, there are plenty people out there applying for very few slots.
    Last edited by fire49; 05-09-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    How old are you????

Yes Fed FD's still do 72hr work weeks, in many variations of 24/24, 48/72 or even 48/96.

and once again if you looking at a flying base, check the requirements, unless they take you as a gs-3, looks like they would be wanting arff The post he is seriously looking at does not have an airfield.

DodFire.Com Front Page

DoDFire.com

FIRE JOBS

you might also do a serach on how to fill out a fed app, I know there use to be some ticks to it, but that was before they went to computer app.

also, you might try to contact the dept you are applying at to see if you can meet with them early on so they hae a fae to put to a name, like someone said, there are plenty people out there applying for very few slots.
    I wouldnt recommend this for the post he is considering knowing the background.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    How old are you????

and once again if you looking at a flying base, check the requirements, unless they take you as a gs-3, looks like they would be wanting arff

DodFire.Com Front Page

DoDFire.com

FIRE JOBS

I'm 27, I'm looking at anything in the GS-03-06 level, realistically, right now that is all I'm qualified for.

I was in contact with a firefighter from the base, he was relatively helpful in answering my questions since we are mutual aid for them, and they are for us most of our officers have a very good relationship with their chief/asst.chiefs.

I just need to put my nose to the grindstone and get the certifications that I need and keep plugging along.

Forum Member

I don't know if it interests you at all, but wildland fire is another option. Even as a seasonal position it provides time in the Federal system (won't help retirement, but does go towards your time for annual leave category), provides some more experience with the Federal system in general, and is a job at that GS 3-4 you said you are willing to start at. It is typically viewed favorably by structural fire departments for the experience since many do have wildland responses, and even those that don't recognize it as tough work.

US Forest Service, National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service and Bureau of Land Management are the primary federal agencies you would want to look at, all but the BLM should have some presence in your general area. BLM is only found in 11 western states and Alaska.

I know at the US Forest Service we have had a big push to recruit and hire veterans.

It is fairly easy to move between agencies, so working for a different Federal agency can be a help to get your foot in the door where you really want to go.

Thread Information