Like Tree5Likes

Thread: FDNY EMT Exam #2004

Forum Member

Also got the call today..Orientation on the 9th and Academy starts on the 10th

Forum Member

I guess they are looking to process more applicants since they are starting an academy class soon. I took exam 2004 and got a list no of 1***. Just got the letter for the initial physical/ PAT for October 13. Anyone else?
    Beyondme likes this.

Forum Member

you guys getting the calls what are your list numbers???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYhopeful28 View Post
    you guys getting the calls what are your list numbers???
    .......15x

Forum Member

Btw to those who are in the October class, I'm hearing a rumor that the promo exam to fire is going to be offered every 4 years instead of 2 now. If anyone remembers to ask; possibly during orientation, I'd appreciate it and I'm pretty sure everyone else looking to move up would as well.

For those that have gone for the EMS physical, how long should one expect to be at Fort Totten?

Forum Member

Edit: revising this since I think I was a little too angry in my initial reaction to your post.

If you ask about the promotion while you're in the EMS academy then you're an asśhole. Give EMS the same respect you'd give Fire. If in 2013 they announce filing for another promotional then great for you guys.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 09-28-2012 at 07:09 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

How long do the physicals at Fort Totten usually last or how long should you expect to be there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    How long do the physicals at Fort Totten usually last or how long should you expect to be there?
    Get there as early as possible, it can be anywhere from hours to no more than one hour and change.

Forum Member

did anybody else get a call for the October class? Im in mid 400s , still no phone call.
    Does anybody know if they filled the October class yet?

Thanks!

Forum Member

does anybody know what number they reached so far with the phone calls for October class? is the class filled already?

Forum Member

Does anyone know the number, or who to contact to reschedule the PAT? I cant do Saturday, is this the only day they hold the physicals?
    IFR likes this.

Forum Member

Yes it is filled and they started Oct 9th. Yesturday
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
    did anybody else get a call for the October class? Im in mid 400s , still no phone call.
    Does anybody know if they filled the October class yet?

Thanks!
    See you in January bro.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireflight View Post
    For those that have gone for the EMS physical, how long should one expect to be at Fort Totten?
    i got there at 715 ( to account for traffic and parking i left earlier, and parking is easy once there you just have to find the friggen building)
    They started on 8 at on the dot with a 13 minute video about how to do the PAT, ( What to do , what not to do, what your expected to do)
    then around 8:15 they make you fill out paper work pertaining to your **** test ( Listen to the guy giving directions, there was a kid who got thrown out of the room when i went because he wasent listening) They tell you where to put your social, where to initial, where to date etc.
    Then theyre gonna talk a little more about nonsense
    Then some guys gonna say " Whos really really gotta go to the bathroom and cant hold it anymore" as soon as you hear that raise your hand and make it look like your gonna **** your pants.
    He will choose you to take the drug test, and youll be the first to go through the steps.
    After you do the whole PAT they will schedule you for your Medical.
    All said and done i was on my way home at 1045, enough time to bang my gf before work.
    so give your self atleast 3 hour wait time
    Beyondme likes this.

Forum Member

does anyone know what list # range and exam the most recent academy was. also is their a projected Ems academy anytime soon?

Forum Member

One just went in, and I've heard talk that the next will be in January. If you've only just taken the PAT you probably won't be in the running for the next class. Have you been assigned an investigator yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    One just went in, and I've heard talk that the next will be in January. If you've only just taken the PAT you probably won't be in the running for the next class. Have you been assigned an investigator yet?
    my medical is friday, and i got a letter to meet my investigator next week. the process is going quicker then i thought.

Forum Member

Well, without knowing list # specifics I don't want to speculate about it. They are certainly moving at a pace where it would be possible for you to be hired in January (or whenever the next TOP class goes in), but hard to say where they are on the list. Fill out as much of your background investigation packet as possible, however if you aren't sure about something then do the best you can, but you may have to redo that page on the day of your investigation (if you ****ed it up). Bring as many of the documents that the asked for as possible. If you want to get hired in the next class then you have to be proactive in making sure you give them whatever they need for the investigation.

And most importantly do not lie about any arrests/convictions/traffic stuff. For EMS jobs they can forgive a lot, however the biggest deal breaker is if you don't disclose something and they find out about it, no matter how minor.

Forum Member

Well, without knowing list # specifics I don't want to speculate about it. They are certainly moving at a pace where it would be possible for you to be hired in January (or whenever the next TOP class goes in), but hard to say where they are on the list. Fill out as much of your background investigation packet as possible, however if you aren't sure about something then do the best you can, but you may have to redo that page on the day of your investigation (if you ****ed it up). Bring as many of the documents that the asked for as possible. If you want to get hired in the next class then you have to be proactive in making sure you give them whatever they need for the investigation.

And most importantly do not lie about any arrests/convictions/traffic stuff. For EMS jobs they can forgive a lot, however the biggest deal breaker is if you don't disclose something and they find out about it, no matter how minor.
    I recently went through the PD process, so luckily for me i have alot of the already needed info, just have to organize it all.
    since you know what your talking about ill ask you a question that you may or may not know. how many emt-b and emt-p are they looking to hire within the next year or so because i know alot of the promos from exam 2005 are going to be promoted.
    also how many member of ems are their , do you know a rounded off number?
    thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    I recently went through the PD process, so luckily for me i have alot of the already needed info, just have to organize it all.
    since you know what your talking about ill ask you a question that you may or may not know. how many emt-b and emt-p are they looking to hire within the next year or so because i know alot of the promos from exam 2005 are going to be promoted.
    also how many member of ems are their , do you know a rounded off number?
    thanks in advance.
    From what I've heard we're approaching a headcount of 4000, which they will be trying to maintain even after Fire/PD classes and retirements. I don't know enough to really reliably guess, but I would expect them to do at least 3-4 TOP classes next year (at 90 people per class).

Forum Member

From what I've heard we're approaching a headcount of 4000, which they will be trying to maintain even after Fire/PD classes and retirements. I don't know enough to really reliably guess, but I would expect them to do at least 3-4 TOP classes next year (at 90 people per class).
    do you know what i can expect at the medical, about how long usually and what they will be doing?

( this process isnt as posed all over forums like other civil service jobs, its hard to find a forum of fdnyems )

thanks in advance

Forum Member

do you know what i can expect at the medical, about how long usually and what they will be doing?

( this process isnt as posed all over forums like other civil service jobs, its hard to find a forum of fdnyems )

thanks in advance
    It's relatively similar to what they do for Fire, but with less stringent standards for certain things. You do a mask fit test (for the gas mask that you are given), vital signs, height/weight, 12 lead ekg, they take blood and urine samples (though not at the same time), vision test, hearing test, and I believe you do 3 minutes on the stairmill with no vest on. Then you sit down with 1 of the department docs and they look it all over. Anyone that is overweight will be told they have to lose X amount of weight before they can be cleared.

Forum Member

It's relatively similar to what they do for Fire, but with less stringent standards for certain things. You do a mask fit test (for the gas mask that you are given), vital signs, height/weight, 12 lead ekg, they take blood and urine samples (though not at the same time), vision test, hearing test, and I believe you do 3 minutes on the stairmill with no vest on. Then you sit down with 1 of the department docs and they look it all over. Anyone that is overweight will be told they have to lose X amount of weight before they can be cleared.
    About how long would you say? in your experience or what you have heard?
    Thanks

Forum Member

About how long would you say? in your experience or what you have heard?
    Thanks
    How long for what?

Thread Information