Like Tree5Likes

Thread: FDNY EMT Exam #2004

  1. #101
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    How long for what?
    How many hours can i expend to spend at the medical

  2. #102
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    That depends on how many people they bring in on the same day. While one person could do it all in an hour, I'd expect it to take 3-4 considering there will probably be 20-30 people doing it at the same time.

  3. #103
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    See you in January bro.
    what list number r u?
    you think we'll get the call for January?

  4. #104
    Forum Member
    Tipys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    244

    Default

    There were less then 4 of us during my medical still took about 5 hours. Got to remember uniformed FDNY are in there doing there annual medical exam too.
    RIP Hela

    "You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234


    "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

  5. #105
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    heh, well then I guess the easy answer is to plan on taking all day, and be happy when you get out early.

  6. #106
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
    what list number r u?
    you think we'll get the call for January?
    5## That's what everyone involved with investigations has been saying. Had been hoping for the October class, but better late than never. I'll just be happy to have my foot in the door.
    emtnyc2012 likes this.

  7. #107
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    112

    Default

    This thread is SO DEAD. aren't there people going through the hiring process for this? lol..
    so i got everything for EMS done. just finished up my written psych and i called my investigator and she said she has everything she needs from me, if she needs anything further she will call me. does anyone know if there an oral psych for ems? also when is the rumored next academy, as i assume thats that call i am waiting for since i am already done with everything..
    Thanks in advance.

  8. #108
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    This thread is SO DEAD. aren't there people going through the hiring process for this? lol..
    so i got everything for EMS done. just finished up my written psych and i called my investigator and she said she has everything she needs from me, if she needs anything further she will call me. does anyone know if there an oral psych for ems? also when is the rumored next academy, as i assume thats that call i am waiting for since i am already done with everything..
    Thanks in advance.
    There is no oral psych..the next academy should start in January and another in April I believe.

  9. #109
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    I feel like I've heard it's possible to be called for an oral follow up, but there's gotta be something wrong. If everything is squared away then it's just a matter of sitting on your *** and waiting. I would expect less than 2 weeks notice, and if you're close to the cut off you could very well get called on the Friday before the class starts. So... you're basically stuck in the dark. I was the first person given a job offer in my PTOP, and I got 1.5 weeks notice.

  10. #110
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I feel like I've heard it's possible to be called for an oral follow up, but there's gotta be something wrong. If everything is squared away then it's just a matter of sitting on your *** and waiting. I would expect less than 2 weeks notice, and if you're close to the cut off you could very well get called on the Friday before the class starts. So... you're basically stuck in the dark. I was the first person given a job offer in my PTOP, and I got 1.5 weeks notice.
    I've heard if you have an arrest record , or a alcohol or rage related moving violation they schedule you for a psych ( I have neither) also if a red flag comes up from the written. I know for sure they give oral psychs but just not certain on the guide lines. Yeah im all squared away so it's just a hurry up and wait kind of thing.

  11. #111
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    This thread is SO DEAD. aren't there people going through the hiring process for this? lol..
    so i got everything for EMS done. just finished up my written psych and i called my investigator and she said she has everything she needs from me, if she needs anything further she will call me. does anyone know if there an oral psych for ems? also when is the rumored next academy, as i assume thats that call i am waiting for since i am already done with everything..
    Thanks in advance.
    Bensonhurst the next academy is scheduled for January 14. The same first day as the fire academy. This is good news for us, hopefully with all the EMT'S/MEDICS moving up with the promo, the class size will be big allowing more people to be hired. They legally have to give us two weeks notice and I know damn well no one for the city will be in work on January 1st if they don't have to be. Who knows though, if you know about dealing with anything city related you know it's later than sooner. Best case scenario we'll be getting phone calls sometime soon. Ideally before Christmas or New Years.
    Last edited by FDNYorDIETRYIN; 12-04-2012 at 04:31 AM.

  12. #112
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Oh they legally have to?? Well be sure to tell them that when you get the phone call less than 2 weeks before 1/14. Also the TOP classes are a consistent ~90 EMTs per class. It isn't likely to go bigger due to size constraints at Fort Totten.

  13. #113
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Oh they legally have to?? Well be sure to tell them that when you get the phone call less than 2 weeks before 1/14. Also the TOP classes are a consistent ~90 EMTs per class. It isn't likely to go bigger due to size constraints at Fort Totten.
    I read your post ManhattanMedic lol, regardless of everything we do have the fact that processing went a lot faster than usual. It's optimistic thinking bro.

  14. #114
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I got the call a week before the academy lol My class had 150 people split up into 3 platoons. I believe there may be one more class of 150 in January and the rest will be 80-90.
    Last edited by EBHFD68; 12-04-2012 at 09:33 PM.

  15. #115
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBHFD68 View Post
    I got the call a week before the academy lol My class had 150 people split up into 3 platoons. I believe there may be one more class of 150 in January and the rest will be 80-90.
    Jesus where the hell do they put 150 of you. Parking must have been lovely.

  16. #116
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBHFD68 View Post
    I got the call a week before the academy lol My class had 150 people split up into 3 platoons. I believe there may be one more class of 150 in January and the rest will be 80-90.
    150 for each morning and afternoon session? Or for both?

  17. #117
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    150 for each morning and afternoon session? Or for both?
    That would be the total #.

  18. #118
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    67

    Default

    ya it's a nightmare..luckily one of the tour 3 platoons used the CFR building and they parked over there.

  19. #119
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBHFD68 View Post
    ya it's a nightmare..luckily one of the tour 3 platoons used the CFR building and they parked over there.
    Oh well that makes sense then. That's in keeping with them limiting the class to around 90, since that's about the limit for how many they can have at the main building at any given time.

    Fun story: As part of the fire academy all EMS members go through CFR training at the CFR building. I'm actually looking forward to it because I don't backboard people that often, and it will be good practice.

  20. #120
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Got my call for the January class today! This process has been extremely humbling. I'm extremely excited to say the least. By the way in some of my past comments I let my immaturity and impatience get the best of me (skylinepcg that's to you). In no way do I disrespect the job, the people who do it, and everything that it takes to get there. I've recently began looking at life and my self differently. Regardless, I'm thrilled to go to the next step of this journey and I'm hoping some of you will be getting your calls as well.
    Last edited by FDNYorDIETRYIN; 12-28-2012 at 02:06 AM.

  21. #121
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Got my call yesterday as well. Anyone have information on what the academy is like? I've heard it's between 10-12 weeks.

    I've heard besides re-certifying as an EMT, we go through HazMat and driver training. Any other info on this? What is the physical training like?

    Also, I've been reviewing my materials from my EMT class and some of the NY state exams. Understanding that we are all already EMTs, what are expectations of instructors going into the academy?

    Any info would be great.

  22. #122
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravendmb1 View Post
    Got my call yesterday as well. Anyone have information on what the academy is like? I've heard it's between 10-12 weeks.

    I've heard besides re-certifying as an EMT, we go through HazMat and driver training. Any other info on this? What is the physical training like?

    Also, I've been reviewing my materials from my EMT class and some of the NY state exams. Understanding that we are all already EMTs, what are expectations of instructors going into the academy?

    Any info would be great.

    The Academy is around 12 weeks, you should finish us sometime in April. The first part of the program is re-certifying your EMT. Then you will get into scenarios which are acting you an actual call and operations...how to use the radio etc... HAZMAT is 4 days 2 days which are at the rock where you will use your APR mask. You will also do EVOC which is about a week, best part of the academy if you ask me. There is also a few ambulance rotations thrown in. Don't worry about Physical training, if your in shape you will have no problem. You will run everyday about a mile and do high reps with low weight (two 10 pound dumb bells), push ups, sit ups. The expectations of the instructors are quite low as most people who come into the academy have there EMT but have never stepped inside an ambulance. Most people just got there EMT to be Fireman anyway. You will learn way more in the Academy then you ever did in your EMT class. Show up on time and study and you will be fine.

  23. #123
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

  24. #124
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    The EMS academy was a lot of fun. Know when to shut up and be humble, do what they say, and have fun with your classmates. I agree about EVOC, I had a blast.

  25. #125
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Does FDNY issue boots to wear with your uniform in the academy?
    If not...do they issue the boots when you start the actual work??

    Got the call last Friday. Orientation on Jan.14th. Evening class

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY December 2004
    By proby2be in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 04:11 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  3. 2004 / 4th Anniversary FDNY - 343 memorial
    By asaffell in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
  4. FDNY exam on 12/14/02
    By ATRAINX in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 01:48 PM
  5. FDNY exam on 12/14/02
    By ATRAINX in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register