Thread: What to do???

Forum Member

Default What to do???

So I am not really expecting anyone to have the answer to this but any thoughts on it would be appreciated.

My dilemma is that I have the opportunity to take the next promotional exam for D/O. Currently I am a firefighter and have been with my current agency for just over 2 years. I have a total of 6 years in the fire service between another career department and volunteering. I love being on the pipe and would honestly be completely content with staying there. However, I have a family and financially the promotion would help out a lot. I do not want to work an extra job but this is what I am having to do currently to make ends meet. For me this job has never been about the money but in the same breath I do have a family to raise. I have the concern that I not only want to stay on the back, but I am not totally comfortable with the idea of being upgraded from D/O to Captain. I know plenty of guys with less experience that are doing it and that is on them. For me, I know that it has to be on my watch. Now with that being said, I am not sure that I would ever truly be ready to upgrade as that is just my personality. Anyways, not to keep it going any longer, what do you all think??? Should I test and see what happens?? Stay on the back and do what I have to do to make it financially or maybe a whole other option I dont know about yet??? Thanks

Forum Member

Test

You more than likey had the same feelings when you first joined

Forum Member

Nobody ever reaches goals by staying inside their comfort zone...if you are content with with no upward movement and career enrichment than stay right where you are...

Step out of that comfort zone and test...it is one more rung on that ladder to climb. If anything...set an example for your guys coming up that they have to go for it and constantly improve. Just staying in that comfort zone is not good motivation for your guys.

Test...You got this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Take the test. There is no guarantee you will get the promotion. While the job is great, the most important thing is to take care of your family. It sounds as if the promotion would allow you to spend more time at home. SOunds like a no brainer.....
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the pep talk. I have been studying and will be taking the test. I hope to do well enough to promote at some point within the next year. Our department is at a time where a lot of members are retiring so the time is now. Thanks again.

TD

Thread Information