Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By washedupFF
  • 1 Post By BCLepore

Thread: Can I overcome?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can I overcome?

Hello,

I am going to be 28 years old in July and just moved to Illinois from Wisconsin this last January. I do have a Bachelor's of Science degree, Level II Fire cert, and just got my EMT-Basic license again. Currently, I'm working as a CNA at a Hospital in Illinois. I also volunteer a few hours a week for MADD. I'm looking for some advice on where to take my life. Through my experiences I have decided I really, really want to be a firefighter/paramedic. Unfortunately, I made a couple poor choices when I was younger and I have two DUIs in my background. The second one was just about three years ago. I'm looking for some advice regarding my pursuit of this particular career. Should I go for it despite my background and follow my passion or is there no hope due to my past mistakes? I am totally prepared to wait a few more years and find a way to gain experience in this field but I know without a doubt this is what I want to do with my life. I feel I can contribute a lot to the community I serve and just a lot to give overall. I look forward to your thoughts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by broth1084 View Post
    Hello,

I am going to be 28 years old in July and just moved to Illinois from Wisconsin this last January. I do have a Bachelor's of Science degree, Level II Fire cert, and just got my EMT-Basic license again. Currently, I'm working as a CNA at a Hospital in Illinois. I also volunteer a few hours a week for MADD. I'm looking for some advice on where to take my life. Through my experiences I have decided I really, really want to be a firefighter/paramedic. Unfortunately, I made a couple poor choices when I was younger and I have two DUIs in my background. The second one was just about three years ago. I'm looking for some advice regarding my pursuit of this particular career. Should I go for it despite my background and follow my passion or is there no hope due to my past mistakes? I am totally prepared to wait a few more years and find a way to gain experience in this field but I know without a doubt this is what I want to do with my life. I feel I can contribute a lot to the community I serve and just a lot to give overall. I look forward to your thoughts.

Hey Jim,

Depending of the fire or ems department they may look over the dui's and then they may toss your application once they see it. Even if you don't put it on the application, it will show up if they do a background on you, then they will probably toss the application.

I know that you are probably sorry, but look at the whole picture. For everyone with dui's bad work history, police records, they are 50 or so who don't and are as clean as they can be and are hirable.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Talk to the departments you want to work for and find out what their policies are. I know of people with a lot nastier backgrounds than yours that have been hired. Doesn't mean where you're looking that'll be the case, but let the departments you're looking at give you the answer you're looking for.

Forum Member

you can sometimes check diferent city/ department web sites, and they will list the disqualifiers

would say at 25, that may hurt you

and as someone will say there are people applying with spotless records

you should find out what the minimum qualifications are just to apply at different departments, and if you have them test at a few to see what happens

you might get on a smaller one, but maybe do that than after a few years start testing for bigger ones if you still want to,

Forum Member

Sure you can overcome, the fire service might not be the way you want to go.
    How long between the TWO DUI's? This is the killer, TWO! It says you didn't get the message the first time. I had one DUI 14 years ago, I was hired by two agencies, the first was a small fire district and it had been 5 years since. The second was a large city department 6 years later (so 11 years total since charge). Every oral board you will be asked about it, you can play the dumb young card once but explaining two, I just don't see it.
    You are probably a solid person and would make a good firefighter but like others have said, there are a hundred others with out anything on their records, that does not mean they have never got behind the wheel after drinking, just that they never got caught.
    In the end it's up to you, if you want it go for it but be ready for a long up hill battle.
    maverick80 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

You would not have a chance for most departments in California. There are exceptions to every rule, but I would not advise someone with two DUI's to pursue a career in the fire service. We have too many qualified candidates who have made good choices througout their lies to take a chance on someone who has not.
    One DUI is often a deal killer. The exception may be one that happened a very long time ago. Two shows a pattern of poor choices. More importantly, I suspect a background investigation would reveal a history of excessive drinking. With a high incidence of alcoholism in the fie service, very few departments want to take a chance on someone who already has a problem.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    ColoradoDave likes this.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information