Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: How do you dry your gear?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I simply let it hang on its own until its dry

22 70.97%
  • My dept. has a commercial dry specifically designed for drying fire gear

6 19.35%
  • I use my dept's hose dryer

3 9.68%
  • I use a regular residential dryer

0 0%
  • Other

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By snowball

Thread: Gear drying

Forum Member

Default Gear drying

I was just wondering what are some of the various methods everyone uses to dry their turnout gear. Do you simply let it hang til its dry, does your department have a commercial dryer specifically designed for turnout gear, do you simply use the hose dryer, do you simply put it in a regular dryer like the one you have at home (even though were not supposed to use them) or do you have another type of system that you use and if so explain.

Forum Member

hang it up as best I can to let it dry. takes a few chairs and some hollowed out soup cans to keep the legs and sleeves open, but it works ok. No cash/space for gear dryers

Forum Member

My fulltime dept just has hangers for gear in most of the stations, although most stations also have hose dryers which work good. A couple of the newer stations have gear rooms with constant ventilation.
    My POC dept. has constant ventilation in the gear room, as well as a commercial washer and dryer for turnout gear.

I hang them next to my computer and log in to this site. The hot air generated by these forums dries the liners in minutes.
    IAFF

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I hang them next to my computer and log in to this site. The hot air generated by these forums dries the liners in minutes.
    Thanks Snowball!! You were just that extra push that my gear needed to finish drying!
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

It's not rocket science; just hang them up in the house somewhere. If the outside is wet, it will dry shortly.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

You have to be careful doing that, sometimes the hot air is enough to cause thermal damage.

Drying time can be significantly reduced depending on the topic and who is posting...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Drying time can be significantly reduced depending on the topic and who is posting...
    Ok agreed this will work but, what about exposing your gear to harmful bacteria and other nasties?

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Ok agreed this will work but, what about exposing your gear to harmful bacteria and other nasties?
    Simple. N-95 computer screen covers.
    IAFF

Simple. N-95 computer screen covers.
    Magnums???
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Sir: I was lucky enough to find this wonderful site and after reading your inquiry wanted to touch base with you concerning equipment dryers.

As the owner of a company that specializes in "Non Abrasive" drying I'd like to direct you to our website.

We produce dryers for every situation and offer dryers specific to your requirments.

J-TEK Manufacturing Hockey & Fire Service Products then click on the fire side of the site will take you directly to our line of dryers and a lot of relevent information.

All our products are NFPA compliant, which means the following. temp does not exceed 105º and process is Non abrasive.

NFPA states emphatically that all fireproofed gear should not be dried in conventional dryers as the fireproofing breaks down through the higher temperatures as well as abrasive action.

The secret to our drying success is achieved as we introduce high volumes of slightly warmed air, deep into the garment, which draws moisture out with it as it exits the garment. (There is a mechanical schematic of this on the site.) Dry times are approx 3-4hr or less on our standard models and 2 -3 hrs on the Dryer Syste,.

There is only enough heat supplied to remove atmospheric moisture (humidity). Heat only makes the air more absorbent, as it's the airflow, not temperature that induces the drying process.

Our dryer line has models to suit every departments requirments. Turnout gear dryers are available in 2 , 3, 4, 6 & 8 suit capacities while immersion/hazmat dryers are available in 2, 3 & 4 suit capacities.

At the recent OAFC show in Toronto Canada, we introduced a first for the industry, that being a drying system that has capacity to dry turnout gear, immersion suits or boots and gloves by simply changing the vertical air tubes. the tubes that are not being used are stored on an independent rack.

Since 2005, MegaBlast dryers have helped reduce harmfull environmental bacteria found in improperly dried gear.

I ask that you take a few minutes to view our website and should you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself at 519-265-1997 or jtlake@jtekmanufacturing.com

Look forward to chatting in the near future to discuss your drying needs and solution.

Sincerely

John Lake
    President
    J-tek Mfg

Thread Information