Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodbridge

Thread: "Bang for the Buck" Rescue truck manufactures

Forum Member

Default "Bang for the Buck" Rescue truck manufactures

Hello all,
    Long time reader, first time poster.
    We are looking to purchase a 18' -20' walk-in rescue truck on a commercial chassis.
    I see there are many opinions who bulids the "best" vehicles, but does anyone have any good leads on who makes a solid product at a reasonable price? What are some of the manufactures we should be looking at that specialize in this that wont break the bank that can provice good service in the NY area?
    Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by biggerthebetter View Post
    Hello all,
    Long time reader, first time poster.
    We are looking to purchase a 18' -20' walk-in rescue truck on a commercial chassis.
    I see there are many opinions who bulids the "best" vehicles, but does anyone have any good leads on who makes a solid product at a reasonable price? What are some of the manufactures we should be looking at that specialize in this that wont break the bank that can provice good service in the NY area?
    Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    One of your highest priorities (In my opinion) should be service after the sale. You do not want to have to drive the truck 12 hours to a service center. More than one company can make a good vehicle but they all can have little problems that need to be addressed.

Your own experiences and those of your mutual group can probably point you in the direction you want to go or stay away from.

Forum Member

"Lots of bang for our buck" is precisely how we feel about our 2007 Toyne stainless steel CAFS pumper on a custom Spartan chassis. Toyne does have several salesmen in NYS, but I am not sure if in your area. We have no Toyne dealerships in our area (suburban Phila) closest one is in Pittsburgh; however we wrote our spec to basically say "Toyne accepts all warranty issues and agrees to pay whomever the company (us) chooses to repair the item." IIRC Toyne later put that into the contract they signed with us. Has never been an issue.

I dont know if they have ever built a walk-through rescue, I do know they have built plenty of walk-around rescues and many rigs on all makes of commercial chassis. I think they build a hel of a stainless truck, too.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Rescue 1 in Wall, NJ.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    "Lots of bang for our buck" is precisely how we feel about our 2007 Toyne stainless steel CAFS pumper on a custom Spartan chassis. Toyne does have several salesmen in NYS, but I am not sure if in your area. We have no Toyne dealerships in our area (suburban Phila) closest one is in Pittsburgh; however we wrote our spec to basically say "Toyne accepts all warranty issues and agrees to pay whomever the company (us) chooses to repair the item." IIRC Toyne later put that into the contract they signed with us. Has never been an issue.

I dont know if they have ever built a walk-through rescue, I do know they have built plenty of walk-around rescues and many rigs on all makes of commercial chassis. I think they build a hel of a stainless truck, too.
    I went on the Toyne website, looks like they only offer a walk-around.............

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Rescue 1 in Wall, NJ.
    I hear they qualify on the "bang", how about the "buck"?

Forum Member

I went on the Toyne website, looks like they only offer a walk-around.............
    Contact the National Sales Mgr, Mike Watts. I am sure they would be open to building a custom unit. The body for our pumper was very customized.

Forum Member

biggerthebetter,

Where in the NY area are you from? I tried to send you a PM, but it says you haven't elected to receive them.

Mike

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 201/65 View Post
    biggerthebetter,

Where in the NY area are you from? I tried to send you a PM, but it says you haven't elected to receive them.

Mike
    I updated my settings, try again please.
    Thank You

Forum Member

Take a look at SVI Trucks..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HMTROMAN1 View Post
    Take a look at SVI Trucks..
    I can't think of anyone building walk-ins that has been doing it longer or better. Probably not the cheapest but worth every penny in the long run.

Forum Member

I hear they qualify on the "bang", how about the "buck"?
    Decent. Not the high end, not the low end.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Toyne builds walk in's too

Forum Member

I'd also suggest looking throught the different manufacturer's websites, on Pierce's you can look at the recent deliveries and download the specs and drawings on most of their trucks. I don't know what other manufacturer's do this. Also visit anyone around you with a truck that is similar to what you want. Most manufacturer's can adapt their product to the specific items that you want. I'd first decide on all the features you MUST have in your truck, then the ones that would be niceties. Then go to the manufactures.

Forum Member

Take a look at Marion Fire Apparatus, they build a nice " Program Rescue truck " on a commercial chassis.
    FWDbuff likes this.

Forum Member

I concur, Marion does build a nice rig. Lots of old Seagrave folks working there.

Forum Member

I looked on marions website, their "Rescue Squad" is very much what we had in mind.
    Some buddies told me to look into the following companies that also might fill our needs, anyone have any opinions on any of the following companies for a Walk-in Rescue?

Ferrara

Horton

Cusom truck and Body works

Summit

Excellance

Forum Member

Horton in known for making Ambulances, not rescues. I don't think they've built many medium or heavy rescues. Not that they couldn't build a good one, I just don't know if there are many examples out there for you to see.

Forum Member

We have a 20 yr old Marion walk-in rescue on an international chassis in reserve. Body is still solid, very little rust.

Forum Member

Default Kme

Kme Fire Apparatus, builds a solid walk-in rescue apparatus at a very fair price, see if there is a sales rep in your area for a price quote.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Give EVI a call. They build a custom walk-in rescue built to your departments exact needs. Here is their website as well - Emergency Vehicles, Inc.

Thread Information