Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cincinnati Fire Exam, August 4, 2012

Forum Member

Pay no attention to rumors. The list was extended last year and does not expire until 1/13. I know they took the list down months ago off the website but it does exist and is being used. The city applied, received, and accepted a 6 million dollar safer grant to hire 40 from the 2009 list. Those 40 have been offered jobs and will be going through their medical physicals. The tentative start date for that class is October 22, 2012.

Forum Member

With hiring 40 this year, why are they doing another process now? Do they have plans on taking from this list or just having it on hand?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 64firehead View Post
    With hiring 40 this year, why are they doing another process now? Do they have plans on taking from this list or just having it on hand?
    The reason they are hiring forty now is because they expect close to that number of people to retire in the next two years. I believe there have already been 15 or 16 this year. With the safer grant, the Feds will cover the cost of all forty for two years and when that time is up the total strength of the fire department should be close to where it was at the beginning of this year, therefore the city will be able to hire forty with virtually no financial impact to the city above what it already has. The plan for this new recruit class is to hire forty sometime late next year. Look for the city to apply for a safer grant for that class as well. The class from this process is to hopefully get our strength up again closer to the authorized 841. Currently the department is in the 760s. Everyone has to remember that anything can change and everything is dependent in the economy. There is always a possibility of no classes next year as the people who took the 2009 test discovered. Focus on doing your best and scoring high on the list, then wait and see.

Forum Member

Anybody heard anything since doing the agility?

Forum Member

I have not heard anything yet.

Forum Member

Anybody received an e-mail from HR yet about their interview or the next step in the process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmjr5154 View Post
    Anybody received an e-mail from HR yet about their interview or the next step in the process?
    Let the process drag.....more people quit and eliminate themselves. Best case for starting a new class is summer '13, more likely fall '13.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyhook1977 View Post
    Let the process drag.....more people quit and eliminate themselves. Best case for starting a new class is summer '13, more likely fall '13.
    They wont take this class until this time next year if they are approved for another SAFER grant. I'm sure they are more focused on all of the new employees they have from the SAFER grant they were just awarded this year.

Forum Member

Got an e-mail today saying I passed the physical. Next part of the process is evaluating 1300 PHQ's before they set up interviews. Anyone know how many they are anticipating to interview? I wouldn't think it to be partical to interview 1300 people. Maybe the PHQ will be used to weed out people from the next step in the process? Anybody got any other ideas?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmjr5154 View Post
    Got an e-mail today saying I passed the physical. Next part of the process is evaluating 1300 PHQ's before they set up interviews. Anyone know how many they are anticipating to interview? I wouldn't think it to be partical to interview 1300 people. Maybe the PHQ will be used to weed out people from the next step in the process? Anybody got any other ideas?
    Indy interviewed over 800 in 3 straight days, so it is possible (interviews are usually less than 20min timed). I also wouldn't expect a super in-depth review of PHQs. Takes too much man hours and $$$. Their poly process drills into your background, that's where they spend the time/effort.

Forum Member

Well that was quick. Got an e-mail last Thursday with a list of items the CFD wants submitted by the end of October. Any body have any idea on how many others got the same e-mail?

Forum Member

possibly 1300 I got the same Email
    Last edited by blruosch; 10-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Forum Member

What items were they asking for? All I got was the email nyhook got.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any insight on when the interviews will take place to finish this testing process?

Forum Member

No idea about interviews. I have heard they probably won't hire another class until sometime around summer/fall 2013 at the earliest. They have a recruit class going on right now.

Forum Member

The city has their usual shaky finances so as usual a class next year is very iffy. First if you're in this process, complete everything to the best of your ability. The ONLY way they will hire a class off this list next year is if the city is awarded another SAFER grant that will cover the cost of the new hires for 2 years. A new provision is if they hire a military veteran the safer grant will cover the new hire for 3 years. Without that SAFER grant there will be no class next year. So pay attention when those grants begin to be awarded next year every friday. Firehouse.com will have an article each week. Good luck to all of you.

Forum Member

Good news for those of you in this process. It was found out today that Cincinnati has been awarded a SAFER grant to hire 40 recruits in 2013.

Forum Member

Awesome, I got an e-mail awhile back saying interviews should be coming up soon.

Forum Member

I believe they are using a outside vendor to conduct interviews. Should be 15mins, 6-8 questions. Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

Know it's a long shot but I am scheduled for the oral board at 8:20am on 2/8 does anyone have an appt later in any of the days that could switch with me? As long as an email is sent 2 day prior they allow the switching.

Forum Member

Is Ergonomics running the oral boards like they did the video test?

The last process I went through, they were still doing written tests and the oral board was conducted by 2 from HR and one from fire.

Forum Member

So I found out that Ergonomics did oversee the oral board portion, but I can't disclose questions asked.

Anyone hear anything about the next step of polygraph?

Let's all share, this thread is almost dead...

Forum Member

I'm still waiting to hear back about results from the oral boards. I'm surprised it is taking so long for them to get back to us with scores and what not. I heard they were looking to start another recruit class shortly after the current class finishes in the coming weeks.

No idea on the polygraph though.

Forum Member

A buddy of mine is going through the police recruit process and they are down to roughly 160 recruits on the list. I guess they are focusing back on police now.

Forum Member

Maybe. I have a feeling the FD isn't down to 160 recruits on their list yet lol

Thread Information