+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 First ... 2345678 ... Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cincinnati Fire Exam, August 4, 2012

Forum Member

I bet so...
    Last edited by joe-rocko; 03-30-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    phonbone likes this.

Forum Member

I doubt they shun you for a speeding ticket if that was the case there wouldn't be any firefighters in the city. I do however think they're looking for certin people and are being very picky because with about 2500 applicants, they have that option. I think the polys in April are a fail safe, I'm sure the "top 50" if it exist will have some people dropped and others will fill in. I think with the option of being picky if you have serious crimes on your background check and or have any serious crimes that came up on your poly or were caught lying you are probably out. Nothing is certin and I'm sure they are viewing everyone's material carefully. Good luck to the April poly's.

Forum Member

I tell you what though fellas. I'm not a patient man, haha. I just want to know! Another rumor is that if you already have your emt card you only have to go through the fire portion of the academy and will most likely go to a unit and get ride time until the rest of the class finishes up. If anyone in hear also has their emt card they will be the first to agree with me. EMT isnt so much "hard" but man it is stressful.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamrey View Post
    I tell you what though fellas. I'm not a patient man, haha. I just want to know! Another rumor is that if you already have your emt card you only have to go through the fire portion of the academy and will most likely go to a unit and get ride time until the rest of the class finishes up. If anyone in hear also has their emt card they will be the first to agree with me. EMT isnt so much "hard" but man it is stressful.
    I know it is hard to do but if you look at any thread on a fire department hiring, everyone has rumors and everyone has a "credible" and "reliable" source. Almost always they are wrong. So don't get too excited when you hear something from someone on here. To answer some questions. The city knows they can get three years of pay from the feds for retired vets, which someone already brought up. So I would think they will heavily look at vets for this next class. I have no idea how many people have been called to the poly but they are starting at 1 and going down the list. So if you have been called already...be happy, you are in a decent spot. Finally, if you have your emt card, fire card, chief card, playing card, wild card, or whatever, you will be in drill school the whole time. They may not make you sit through emt class but you will still be in drill school doing other tasks. The current class that graduates this Friday has 11 paramedics in the class and none of them came to the companies early. So don't get your hopes up, although if I had my emt or medic, the idea sounds great lol. They are currently shooting for a class sometime in may, but there is no date, so that really doesn't mean anything until city council decides on it. Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

Yeah, I was always confused how the emt part would go. I understand still keeping you in the class but I can't see them testing you and going through national registry if you already have your card. Fire I could see still going through because all departments do somethings different. I want to go through everything again I've been through a fire/emt academy before and had a great time. It was stressful at times but all in all I'd go through it every year than sit on my butt somewhere. Ive Been taking a lot of these rumors with a grain of salt. I've heard different things from Cincinnati guys from other firefighters and from people in the process and they have almost all been something different haha. Has anyone else on this forum had there poly or know when they first started dishing them out? I had my march 21st.

Forum Member

Thanks by the way carney for the info, sounds about right.

Forum Member

So nobody else had a poly in march?

Forum Member

Parking plan denied... lets see if they were using public safety for leverage to get the plan or if they will still hire

Forum Member

I heard about that, it's still goin to have to go on the ballot which probably won't happen until november. I can't see them just giving that safer grant back to the federal government. That being said they could. I think the major and the city manager both need to kick rocks. Why is the safety of the city always the last priority.

Forum Member

It would suck so bad to get this far and be told "sorry..but" and then some dumb multimillion dollar trolly go through the city for nothing just carting bums all over the city making 0 money.

Forum Member

A judge has made his injunction against Cincinnati's $92 million parking plan permanent.

Judge Robert Winkler announced his decision on Thursday, saying the city's residents had a right to vote on the plan.

Cincinnati City Council had passed the proposal to lease the city's garages, lots and meters as an emergency measure, which precluded it from being subject to a referendum.

In his decision, Winkler noted that Cincinnati's charter allows all ordinances to be subject to referendum, but then uses state law to exempt emergency ordinances.

Read: Parking plan injunction ruling

"If the people of Cincinnati had intended to exempt emergency legislation from their referendum power, they could have done so when adopting Article II, Section III of the City's charter," Winkler wrote.

City officials have said that if the plan was not put in place by the end of March, more than 300 firefighters and police officers would have to be laid off to balance the budget.

Opponents have been gathering signatures to put the plan on the ballot in November.

A spokesman said Mayor Mark Mallory and City Manager Milton Dohoney have no comment at this time, but will likely make a statement later Thursday.

Councilman Cecil Thomas told WLWT News 5's John London that he was disappointed with Walker's ruling and said layoffs would have to take place.

City officials said Thursday that they will appeal Judge Robert Winkler's decision, officials said.

WLWT News 5 will have the latest on this story as it becomes available.

Forum Member

It's not looking good.. They city filed for an appeal but I dot think its going to change anything. The city manager has already moved forward with "plan b" which is the cut of about 300 police and firefighters. Nothing was said about the recruit classes but I'd assume they will be gone. The recruit classes are funded by a federal grant so I don't know how or why they would need to be cut but that's what is happening

Forum Member

This could go on for quite some time. I doubt the May class will happen now. Sucks to know all the money people invested in traveling for the testing process will have no reward.

Forum Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up to high, as the city is in bad shape and talking about closing one half of the fire houses. This also means cutting members too.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...udget-proposal
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamrey View Post
    It's not looking good.. They city filed for an appeal but I dot think its going to change anything. The city manager has already moved forward with "plan b" which is the cut of about 300 police and firefighters. Nothing was said about the recruit classes but I'd assume they will be gone. The recruit classes are funded by a federal grant so I don't know how or why they would need to be cut but that's what is happening
    There are a couple of points here to help you understand. First the SAFER grants that provide federal dollars are given so fire departments increase or maintain staffing. By accepting these dollars you are agreeing to maintain your level of staffing for the amount of years the grant requires. Therefore by laying off firefighters you are violating your agreement with the FEDS and therefore you owe the money back to them. You can't lay off employees on your payroll and keep the ones the FEDS pay for. Otherwise all cities would try to staff their departments on federal dollars.

Second civil service law in the city prohibits laying off firefighters but keeping younger guys with less seniority. As the current plan goes some guys with 9 years on the department would be laid off. How would it be fair to keep a new guy who has 2 weeks on and get rid of a guy with 9 years on? You wouldn't like it if you were the guy with 9 years, so there is protection in place for guys who are already members.
    Last edited by CarnyTheKid; 04-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Forum Member

The eligibility list for this process can be found at the following link.

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/hr/asse...088%282%29.pdf

Forum Member

Are they gonna have the money after hiring this guy back out of retirement for this street car project lol

Forum Member

If they choose to not have the class I'm sure the eligibility list will be put on hold until they can. Most people in the last class are from the 2009 test ..im in the top 10 I'll take it!

Forum Member

Got word today that the city is on a hiring freeze until July because of the poor budget.

Forum Member

So now that the budget was passed with NO FIRE NO COP layoffs, does this mean things will get going again with the recruit process?

Forum Member

Default Tired of the rumors

I really hope that they go ahead with the process I have heard different rumors that they would but I guess we will see

Forum Member

I talked to a CFD guy this weekend he said that they are because the class would be covered by the grant. That being said we will never truly know until we get an email.

Forum Member

Default You are 100% right

You are 100% right but the good thing is that they do have the grant and I couldn't image they would pay the money for the test and everything and not have the class. Just FYI there are still a lot of people Still challenging the process. Because they had failed some portion of it.A lot of challenges are still planed to mid June According to the civil-service minutes

Forum Member

Are there a lot of guys on this thread still in the process?

Forum Member

Just curious, if you challage something does that mean you get to re-take it? I had a buddy that failed his oral board and was really upset because he doesn't understand how or why.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 First ... 2345678 ... Last

Thread Information