Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ALF Rumor?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Very well stated. What seems to be ailing ALF is the same thing that's ailing many corporations: Skilled, honest, hard-working people busting their tails on the line while slobs in suits make a mess of things. And of those two groups, the wrong one gets the pink slip and the wrong one gets the golden parachute.
    Yes that's all that is wrong in American manufacturing. No problem with having endless gov't agencies and bureaus as your ever helpful "partner". No proplems from Gov't forcing paying a $15/hr drone $80k+ a year so he can support a squad of union thugs who then think they run the company. etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Yes that's all that is wrong in American manufacturing. No problem with having endless gov't agencies and bureaus as your ever helpful "partner". No proplems from Gov't forcing paying a $15/hr drone $80k+ a year so he can support a squad of union thugs who then think they run the company. etc etc etc.
    I didn't say that's ALL that is wrong. Quit putting words in my mouth.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    ...from Gov't forcing paying a $15/hr drone $80k+ a year so he can support a squad of union thugs ...
    Unions and their pay scales are definitely not a fault of Government.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Unions and their pay scales are definitely not a fault of Government.
    nooo, not at all.....and the Teamsters really didn't just endorse Nobama for a second time.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Hey, first time poster.
    I don't want to seem condescending or anything like that but could we please prevent this thread from dissolving into another pointless argument?

Does anybody here have any sources to back up their rumors? A news article or some testimonials from FDs that have recently purchased from or dealt with ALF.

My department is looking at used Aerials from the mid-2000s and their seem to be a glut of ALF/LTIs on the market and we need to know if they are any good.

There haven't been a lot of new alfs delivered recently. Since they filed bankruptcy and burned a lot of departments with slow or no delivery.
    Yes there are a lot of newer used alfs on the market right now. That in itself should give a hint.
    Ask yourself this: Would you spend over half a million to buy an aerial truck from a company with their recent history, knowing that you will have to live with that decision for a long time?

Just because their website hasn't been updated doesn't mean that they are going out of business.
    I am told that the web site should be changed and updated within the next month or so.

Actually, they have been delivering a lot off apparatus lately. Not to mention, currently they have over 24 orders for new trucks right now and have recently obtained several larger contracts such as the Philadelphia Tiller contract, Ventura County Calf. which is replacing up to 20 apparatus, the Buffalo City Contract, and they are now building chassis for Smeal. Plus they are in the running for three more larger city contracts.

I don't think that they are going anywhere right now. Ever since ALF was purchased off of Freightliner, a lot of the staff from the original ALF came back and their new Vice President came over from Pierce. I know ALF got a bad rap from their bankruptcy but they just delivered our new rescue pumper back in February and they were outstanding to work with.
    Last edited by Chief143; 05-29-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief143 View Post
    Just because their website hasn't been updated doesn't mean that they are going out of business.
    I am told that the web site should be changed and updated within the next month or so.

Actually, they have been delivering a lot off apparatus lately. Not to mention, currently they have over 24 orders for new trucks right now and have recently obtained several larger contracts such as the Philadelphia Tiller contract, Ventura County Calf. which is replacing up to 20 apparatus, the Buffalo City Contract, and they are now building chassis for Smeal. Plus they are in the running for three more larger city contracts.

I don't think that they are going anywhere right now. Ever since ALF was purchased off of Freightliner, a lot of the staff from the original ALF came back and their new Vice President came over from Pierce. I know ALF got a bad rap from their bankruptcy but they just delivered our new rescue pumper back in February and they were outstanding to work with.
    Chief143, good luck with your new rescue pumper,how long did your department wait for the new apparatus to be delivered. And also do you have a local ALF sales & service dealer in your local area, or was your purchase factory direct? How many other buiders bid on your pumper!
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 05-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Forum Member

Hey thanks for the candid responses.

Forum Member

My only advice is before you buy an ALF unit, you visit their plant. I will tell you it is enormous and over the top, but it is empty. They do have roughly 20 trucks on order, but most of those are from their loyal customers such as Philly, Ventura and Buffalo. In my opinion, ALF builds the best ladder in the industry, but unless you are willing to wait a long time for it, be careful.

I could rattle off everything I have been told by friends that work there, but it all relates to no money to buy parts for units. Also, they are losing a lot of employees who are nervous and bolting for other jobs. The end product is great, but Tilton is tired of losing money and has cut off funds.

If you want to talk to a department that has trucks on order with ALF, my advice is to contact York County, SC. From what I understand, not only are their units late, but ALF doesn't have the money to buy the major parts. Don't take my word...call them. If you do have the guts to buy one, my advice is this: 1) Get a performance bond 2)Don't prepay 3) Have a backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    Chief143, good luck with your new rescue pumper,how long did your department wait for the new apparatus to be delivered. And also do you have a local ALF sales & service dealer in your local area, or was your purchase factory direct? How many other buiders bid on your pumper!
    It took 6 months to deliver...

It was purchased factory direct but they recently took on a dealer about 15 mins away from us to do sales and service...

There were 3 bidders (Crimson / Ferrara / ALF)...
    I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion, however I really don't care...

Forum Member

Chief143.its good to hear from a satisfied alf costomer,reading some of these posts from ''other manufactuers or dealers'' is amusing.with the apparatus market being in a slump due to the economy, you would think they would put thier greed aside and promote jobs in this country.dealings that buffalo had with some manufactuers or thier reps only goes to show how low some will go to get business.i have no connection with alf or any other manufactuer,just sick of ''people'' trying to slow the alf comeback for thier own gains.with this economy any business could find themselves in trouble,lets think positive

Just curious, because I honestly am not sure....but hasn't ALF "been on the comeback" for a few years now?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by TOWERLADDER124 View Post
    Just sick of ''people'' trying to slow the alf comeback for thier own gains.with this economy any business could find themselves in trouble,lets think positive
    I don't think anyone here has any bad will for ALF and it's "COMEBACK" They seem to be able to turn the customers away just fine all by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWERLADDER124 View Post
    Chief143.its good to hear from a satisfied alf costomer,reading some of these posts from ''other manufactuers or dealers'' is amusing.with the apparatus market being in a slump due to the economy, you would think they would put thier greed aside and promote jobs in this country.dealings that buffalo had with some manufactuers or thier reps only goes to show how low some will go to get business.i have no connection with alf or any other manufactuer,just sick of ''people'' trying to slow the alf comeback for thier own gains.with this economy any business could find themselves in trouble,lets think positive
    We've owned Alfs in the past, when they WERE Alfs. While I like their ladder,their recent performance along with our neighbors recent experiences would preclude us for considering them for future purchase, at least at this time

Forum Member

Since this is "ALF RUMOR", is there any truth to ALF having a "For Lease" sign planted at the LTI facility? I went to the website to see if there was any announcement because I know they talked about closing it a few years ago....but the website was down.....again. Pay your bills people!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAME View Post
    Since this is "ALF RUMOR", is there any truth to ALF having a "For Lease" sign planted at the LTI facility? I went to the website to see if there was any announcement because I know they talked about closing it a few years ago....but the website was down.....again. Pay your bills people!
    Yes, the "For Lease" sign has been up for several weeks.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    Yes, the "For Lease" sign has been up for several weeks.
    It is very hard for any business to make ends meet these days, first the owners of ALF need to start selling some apparatus and building some apparatus so they have the funds to pay there bills on time. They need to start paying there parts supply companies so they can finish the trucks that are under contract to build, the best thing for them to do is sell off ALF/LTI, to a apparatus builder that is in the good shape money wise and hope for the best !

Forum Member

I only know of one apparatus builder that is in good shape!!! So who would they sell too?

Chief1ff

Forum Member

Here's your sign...

Name:  imagejpeg_2.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  26.1 KB

Thread Information