Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ALF Rumor?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post
    I only know of one apparatus builder that is in good shape!!! So who would they sell too?

Chief1ff
    Maybe, Ferrara, Smeal, Kme, Toyne, Custom, Marion, Etc !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    Maybe, Ferrara, Smeal, Kme, Toyne, Custom, Marion, Etc !
    Good point. Smeal and KME are basically family owned and financially very sound. I am not that familiar with Toyne's ownership but they have always seemed to be based in reality rather than living on projections. Marion has always been pretty solid.

I doubt that any of those companies base everything on projections of future business. Publicly held corporations just don't have the same attitude as a company where the owners are there everyday and give a crap about the product, customer, and employees. It's all about the balance sheet and the monthly P&L's. I firmly believe that Pierce is still riding on the reputation of Doug Ogilvie. That one guy was the heart and soul of Pierce for many years. I was affiliated with Pierce in the absolute worst of the Carter years and inflation with crippling interest rates. Pierce didn't even hiccup. Oshkosh is standing by Pierce now, but it just isn't the same since they are just a division of a much larger corp.

Most of those previous mentioned companies are located in small communities and the owners have a genuine commitment in their community due to the fact they are important employers. One of these companies has more employees than their home town has citizens and the others are huge in their home town as well. If you go to Ocala or Appleton, the builders are known but not the foundation of the town. Most owners do things a little different when the people they went to school with depend on them for a living.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=firepundit;1331306]Good point. Smeal and KME are basically family owned and financially very sound. I am not that familiar with Toyne's ownership but they have always seemed to be based in reality rather than living on projections. Marion has always been pretty solid. QUOTE]

Excerpted from Toyne's web site:

"In 1942, Gilbert "Gib" Toyne, the owner of a successful blacksmith shop in the thriving agricultural center of Breda, Iowa, was asked by the community of Schleswig, IA to put together a fire truck body."

"For years, Gib and his crew had been repairing fire trucks built by others..."

"Family owned since Roger Schwabe, a long-time Toyne employee purchased the company from Gib in 1978; president Mike Schwabe and vice president Bill Schwabe, Roger's sons, now head the firm."

Forum Member

I would think that any apparatus builder out there in the fire service who is interested in the American Lafrance name, would only purchase the business for the " LTI " aerials and would not be interested in building or selling a chassis product with the eagle name plate at this time!

Forum Member

If you check out the phone number,you will see it belongs to the owner of the property. Alf moving to another location makes alot of sense.being on the same property as crimson or what ever they call themselves today.is like gimbles moving in with macy's

I would think that any apparatus builder out there in the fire service who is interested in the American Lafrance name, would only purchase the business for the " LTI " aerials and would not be interested in building or selling a chassis product with the eagle name plate at this time!
    The American Lafrance name died years ago. There has been a company building trucks under that name since...but they are not "American Lafrance" trucks.
    CaptOldTimer and Rescue101 like this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    The American Lafrance name died years ago. There has been a company building trucks under that name since...but they are not "American Lafrance" trucks.
    There hasn't been a true American LaFrance piece of apparatus built for many years. Probably not since the company left Elmira! Figgy's company tried by missed the target. A lot of look-a-likes and copies of what someone wanted you to think was AmLaFrance!
    Rescue101 likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The American Lafrance company or brand name could be turned around with the right buyer who has fire service truck building in there history,the name is not dead yet, someone may save them for the right price tag ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    Here's your sign...

Attachment 22083
    Well, ALF-LTI won't be moving up to their former facility in Lebanon PA (the former Aerial Innovations facility and later the ALF Aerials (LTI) rebuild/service center), they sold that facility about 6 months ago. My buddy next door (works for Crimson/Spartan ERV and a former long time employee of LTI) told me the land lord has had it with ALF not paying rent on time and missing payments altogether. ALF has to the end of July to vacate the facility. The question is not just where are they moving to but is their really a move planned at all. The end may be near. What's left of their workforce in Ephrata are looking for other jobs.

Forum Member

It is a shame that a few Stock Holders and a CEO, can purchase a fire apparatus builder and flush them down the toilet in a few years, and hard working people in the plants are the one's that must pay the price and become jobless. Maybe the managementof ALF/LTI will take a vacation to a island somewhere, just like the bankers did in the Gov bailout ?
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 06-19-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Forum Member

This can't be a surprise, but ALF plant workers were sent home without pay for two weeks because company does not have money for parts. Looks like they also sent packing the fire guru from Pierce. Can't be long now as company appears on life support.

Forum Member

Did the plant shut down for two weeks of summer vacation, or are they just broke ?

Forum Member

ALF only did planned shutdowns under Freightliner. This is solely because they have no money to buy parts and therefore do not want to pay factory workers to sit around. The shutdown affects the LTI plant and the Summerville plant. I know of several key employees who have resigned in just the past week. Unless ALF can secure a huge line of credit from someone, my guess is this is it. I feel sorry for the departments who have been waiting on their trucks. Looks like ALF is going to hose them again.

Forum Member

It's not eazy to pay supply companys and pay the rent for your two plants ,when not many apparatus are being built or sold by there very few dealers they have left after the big shut down a year or two ago !

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/189...new-fire-truck

Fox 29 is working to get results for a South Jersey fire company.

After six months of waiting for a new truck, the Audubon Fire Company wants answers. The truck was bought through American Lafrance who then contracted Anchor Richey to build the truck.

The truck is now done and ready for use, but Anchor Richey is waiting to get their payment from American Lafrance before releasing the truck.

We contacted American Lafrance and both their President and CFO are out of the office until next week.

We'll continue to follow this story until we get results.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Question Dealer ?

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/189...new-fire-truck

Fox 29 is working to get results for a South Jersey fire company.

After six months of waiting for a new truck, the Audubon Fire Company wants answers. The truck was bought through American Lafrance who then contracted Anchor Richey to build the truck.

The truck is now done and ready for use, but Anchor Richey is waiting to get their payment from American Lafrance before releasing the truck.

We contacted American Lafrance and both their President and CFO are out of the office until next week.

We'll continue to follow this story until we get results.
    Who is " Anchor Richey " are they the dealer for ALF South Jersey ?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Who is " Anchor Richey " are they the dealer for ALF South Jersey ?
    Anchor-Richey is a builder of fire apparatus, mostly attack trucks and brush trucks, located in North Carolina. They also happen to be the NC and SC dealer for ALF.

http://anchor-richeyevs.com/
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post
    I only know of one apparatus builder that is in good shape!!! So who would they sell too?

Chief1ff
    Judging by the backlog at a few builders, I think more than one is doing well...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

So anything new at ALF?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Judging by the backlog at a few builders, I think more than one is doing well...
    Was down at the Ferrera plant just a couple of months ago for the pre-paint inspection on our new engine.

All 6 assembly lines were full with chassis waiting to come on line. 2 of the lines were FDNY aerials.

Ferrera is doing very well right now.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information