Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ALF Rumor?

Forum Member

This can't be a surprise, but ALF plant workers were sent home without pay for two weeks because company does not have money for parts. Looks like they also sent packing the fire guru from Pierce. Can't be long now as company appears on life support.

Forum Member

Did the plant shut down for two weeks of summer vacation, or are they just broke ?

Forum Member

ALF only did planned shutdowns under Freightliner. This is solely because they have no money to buy parts and therefore do not want to pay factory workers to sit around. The shutdown affects the LTI plant and the Summerville plant. I know of several key employees who have resigned in just the past week. Unless ALF can secure a huge line of credit from someone, my guess is this is it. I feel sorry for the departments who have been waiting on their trucks. Looks like ALF is going to hose them again.

Forum Member

It's not eazy to pay supply companys and pay the rent for your two plants ,when not many apparatus are being built or sold by there very few dealers they have left after the big shut down a year or two ago !

Forum Member

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/189...new-fire-truck

Fox 29 is working to get results for a South Jersey fire company.

After six months of waiting for a new truck, the Audubon Fire Company wants answers. The truck was bought through American Lafrance who then contracted Anchor Richey to build the truck.

The truck is now done and ready for use, but Anchor Richey is waiting to get their payment from American Lafrance before releasing the truck.

We contacted American Lafrance and both their President and CFO are out of the office until next week.

We'll continue to follow this story until we get results.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Question Dealer ?

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/189...new-fire-truck

Fox 29 is working to get results for a South Jersey fire company.

After six months of waiting for a new truck, the Audubon Fire Company wants answers. The truck was bought through American Lafrance who then contracted Anchor Richey to build the truck.

The truck is now done and ready for use, but Anchor Richey is waiting to get their payment from American Lafrance before releasing the truck.

We contacted American Lafrance and both their President and CFO are out of the office until next week.

We'll continue to follow this story until we get results.
    Who is " Anchor Richey " are they the dealer for ALF South Jersey ?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    Who is " Anchor Richey " are they the dealer for ALF South Jersey ?
    Anchor-Richey is a builder of fire apparatus, mostly attack trucks and brush trucks, located in North Carolina. They also happen to be the NC and SC dealer for ALF.

http://anchor-richeyevs.com/
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1FF View Post
    I only know of one apparatus builder that is in good shape!!! So who would they sell too?

Chief1ff
    Judging by the backlog at a few builders, I think more than one is doing well...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

So anything new at ALF?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Judging by the backlog at a few builders, I think more than one is doing well...
    Was down at the Ferrera plant just a couple of months ago for the pre-paint inspection on our new engine.

All 6 assembly lines were full with chassis waiting to come on line. 2 of the lines were FDNY aerials.

Ferrera is doing very well right now.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridge View Post
    The American Lafrance company or brand name could be turned around with the right buyer who has fire service truck building in there history,the name is not dead yet, someone may save them for the right price tag ?
    Doubt it. Snice the exodus from Elmira the product(and support)is not the same. Too many bridges burned or bombed, While the LTI product is a good solid product there are a limited few builders it would appeal to. Smeal already has a good Ladder/Platforn lineup so there is one buyer off the list. I'm just not seeing a return to glory here. Too bad because in the day they were a hard rig to beat. Ran/worked off a good number of them in my early career.

Forum Member

The big question is, "Why would anyone want to buy American LaFrance?"

All the buyer would get is the name and horrible reputation. It would be nearly impossible to put a winning dealer network together under the circumstances.

No, it would be better to wait a decade or two and then buy the rights to use the name. Same as happened last time.

Thread Information