Thread: SCR vs EGR

Forum Member

Default SCR vs EGR

Anybody have an opinion on the new MaxxForce motors vs Cummins in the 450HP range?

Forum Member

We really need more time and miles in the fire service to see how they shake out. I like the idea of not having to add DEF, but both types are performing well in truck fleets.

Forum Member

We had a few issues with the Cummins EGR systems on our first few that we got. The latest ones haven't had the issues of the others. So for now, we like the Cummins setup.

That being said for my rigs, the vollie's have had issues with the SRC engines. Mostly due to them not doing the regen when needed to. And no two volly departments are the same. One burns through DEF like crazy, the other doesn't. Engine temp and load on one is heavy, and uses less DEF. The other, drives light with less load on the engine, so it goes through DEF like crazy. It's hard to really explain, but there is a difference on engine load, miles driven, and engine temps, versus not working the engine as hard.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information