Forum Member

Default Could use some advice on which books to get

Hey guys, anybody have some recommendations on which books to get to help me with the written exam and oral board?

So far I have these in my collection:
    Capt. Bob's complete guide to your badge
    Paul Lepore's smoke your firefighter interview
    Paul Lepore's aspiring firefighter 2 year plan

I was thinking about getting the encyclopedia of firefighter written exams or smoke your firefighter written exam. is one any better than the other?

thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, you have them.
    But do you read and/use them?

How many written exams have you taken?
    Are you passing them?
    Are you scoring high on them?
    Are you moving on to the next phase (usually the interview)?

If you answer "no" to any of those questions, then yes, you should get your hands on some books like these. Arco, Barron's, Norman Hall's to name the big ones.

*Chief Lepore's written exam book is good. It just wasn't where I needed the help, so I never got it.

Forum Member

Actually to be honest, I've never taken a written exam before. I'm still in fire school. I just dont want to find out if I need a practice book or not after scoring anything less than a 90 on my first exam if that makes any sense. What does Chief Lepore's book have in it if you dont mind me asking? Would you say it'd help a lot with a written exam? Thanks so much for the help by the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Wes,
    I will answer your question regarding my book, Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam.
    Smoke Your Firefighter Written Exam goes beyond providing sample questions and answers. It teaches the reader the basic rules and principles behind the questions; in other words, how to solve each complex problem. Each section begins with an overview of how to solve the problems. The reasoning behind the correct answer is presented in clear, easy-to-understand language.

The reader will become proficient in:

Mathematics(word problems, geometry, addition, subtraction, division, multiplication)

Mechanical aptitude (hydraulics, gears, levers, pulleys, inclined planes, screws)

Language (reading, spelling, grammar, vocabulary)

Perceptual ability

Spatial relations

Matching parts and figures

Map reading
    I hope this answers your question.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    AspiringFirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

It instructs people the basic rules and concepts behind the questions; in other words, how to fix each complicated problem. Each area starts with a summary of how to fix the problems.

Forum Member

Default Questions

I must say after talking to those who took our last exam.....all but one question was from Paul Lepores' book "Smoke your Firefighters Exam". I think a variety is good but I can say you can't go wrong with what you have on hand.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I must say after talking to those who took our last exam.....all but one question was from Paul Lepores' book "Smoke your Firefighters Exam". I think a variety is good but I can say you can't go wrong with what you have on hand.
    I, too, can vouch for Paul Lepores' "Smoke your Firefighter Interview" book. I read that book cover to cover a few times prepping for my last interview. While the question's weren't verbatim from the book, they were the same ideas. It definitely helped me be prepared and pass the panel interview, and move on in the process. Definitely keep that book handy, and make sure you read it, and learn from it.

Forum Member

You should try to fit yourself before the interview, Fitness is very necessary for the job of fire fighter. Your body should be looking smart,fit and active. Please try to make habit of jogging at daily bases.

Thread Information