Forum Member

Default Firefighting Preplan Tractics and Strategies

The crew at my station has taken it upon themselves to create preplans for incidents that we may run into. Currently, our department does not have riding assignments for most types of incidents.

An example of what I invision is a brief description of the firefighter, officer and driver role(s) for a fast attack on a small residential building. The plan would contain the assignments for each member.

Does anyone have brief pre-plans for incidents such as these? It would be valuable for training newcomers as well as strengthening crew communication/performance. I would be interested to see how crews around the country handle this type of pre-planning. Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by FireEeyore; 05-14-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Forum Member

Feel free to look these over....

Ocean Fire Company No. 1 - Point Pleasant Beach Station 42 - STANDARD OPERATING GUIDELINES

We are a volunteer department with response to the firehouse's from home.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Thanks! This is similar to what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Feel free to look these over....

Ocean Fire Company No. 1 - Point Pleasant Beach Station 42 - STANDARD OPERATING GUIDELINES

We are a volunteer department with response to the firehouse's from home.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire, we do not have any SOGs/SOPs in place currently, but we are working on it. This is what we do.

We have 2 Engines that hold 6 firemen/women. We have 1 driver, 1 officer, and 4 firefighters.

Driver:
    Drives apparatus, Pumps the truck, assists with laying out tools.

Officer: Initial Command, performs 360, (if applicable) interior officer. Also has a pick axe.

Firefighter #3 (Seat Facing Backwards behind Driver):
    Hydrant Man, then after he tags the hydrant, he comes back and grabs a Saw and pike pole, then goes to the roof for ventilation (if applicable) if not, performs horizontal ventilation.

Firefighter #4 (Seat Facing Bakwards behind Officer):
    Pipe man, grabs the crosslay out of the tray, and flakes it out to the door.

Firefighter #5 (Seat Facing Forward on Driver Side):
    Grabs both Extension and roof ladders, and stages them on the ground where they intend to go to the roof. Also grabs a flat axe, once hydrant man is done, the both raise the extension ladder then goes to the roof.

Firefighter #6 (Seat Facing Forward on Officer Side):
    Grabs the Irons (Haligan/Axe), performs forcible entry if needed, helps flake out hose, is back up man for the pipe man.

The second engine coming in will pull a back up line, and assist with operations.

Hope this helped. I am on a small POC Fire Department, and this seems to work well.
    Sincerely,

JuniorAFPD
    juniorafpd@gmail.com

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Bones, mind if I, um, borrow some things from your SOGs?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Feel free....we borrowed a lot of ideas from larger departments.

Took their ideas, adapted them to what we do (and wanted to do) and adjusted as necessary. It has worked well for us...much more organzied, much less radio nonsense, and better accountability.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Thanks Brother.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I'm currently working on stuff for my station crew only since we don't have them department wide. I was thinking along the lines of this on Residential Fires (1st alarm) 3 man Engine
    Officer- Command, Hook (for ventalation when crew ready to enter), 360 (while 360- control electric, location of fire, call out hazards) if location of fire is located would call out and await attack crew for readiness to enter.
    Driver- Position Engine, Pull Line (1 3/4 or 3) to best location (usually Aside), locate water supply
    FF- Irons to front door drop off, help flake hose, TIC, Force door then close, await order to enter or radio "ready to enter Side A"

Now this being said I know I would have to wait for the next incoming unit to assist before anyone enters and call out orders for them. Would make myself and driver 2 out, assign next unit fire attack with FF. So many different assignment you could make but the my crew would be ready. Again this is a generic fire attack of a house. Rescue, hazards, exposures would change everything but hey it's a start.

Thread Information