Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

Default HURST hose issue

Recieved a call tonight from a fellow Truck Captain who told me that the female couplings on the power hoses were jammed and the sleeve would not move to enable coupling the tool. He stated that they had to loosen the female coupling with the nut and it spewed hydraulic fluid under pressure.

He stated that the HURST rep had just serviced the tools and serviced them in the cool am. He told me that they were working with the tools in the afternoon heat. He thought that the heating of the hydraulic fluid by the ambient temperature caused the jamming episode.

I had never heard of that happening. My thought was someone didn't use the dump valve and the hose was still pressurized when it was un-coupled. IIRC, you can un-couple the hose once if they are pressurized, but will not be able to re-couple.

Thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have used hurst for many years and have not seen this due to heat. I believe you probably just picked up a hose that had a piece of dirt in the coupler, or a coupler that needed replaced or like you stated someone may have just gotten in a hurry and uncoupled on accident while pressureized.

Quote Originally Posted by firehire View Post
    ...I had never heard of that happening. My thought was someone didn't use the dump valve and the hose was still pressurized when it was un-coupled. IIRC, you can un-couple the hose once if they are pressurized, but will not be able to re-couple.
    Ditto.

extra chars added for fh.com enjoyment
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

The female coupler is the return coupling and should not have had pressure against it. Loosening, as described, would have resulted in fluid leaking, as described, as the hoses are normally full of fluid.

My first guess at a solution is that routine maintenance is not being done...including the rinsing / cleaning of the coupler and lubrication with silicone spray (not WD40 or BreakFree)

Forum Member

You should check out the OSC couplers from Genesis, you can use them on your Hurst equipment, or others as well. You can hot swap tools without shutting off the power (flow), so you don't have to worry about dumping your hydraulic fluid if someone turn on a line. You should'nt have the problems that you had and they're easier to connect and disconnect.

Forum Member

Or the Streamline from Hurst... same thing

Thread Information