Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bones42
  • 1 Post By ffbam24

Thread: Military history making it easier to get on the FDNY

Forum Member

Default Military history making it easier to get on the FDNY

My dad and a few others have told me that joining the military will make it ten times easier to get on the FDNY and they select you first over anyone else. But i also heard that only veterans get extra points and if i heard right veterans are people who were deployed during war time? so what would happen if i enlisted and the war ended, then i wouldnt get the extra points right? if im wrong please correct me because id like to know all about how being in the military affects your chances of being on the FDNY. would i be better off continuing school and getting my bachelor's would that looks better than military?

Also i recently took my test and im waiting on the scores so i dont know how well i did but i didnt have trouble at all with the written. by the way i am 18 years old so i should have a few more shots at the test before i am too old.

So the big question is :
    How well does being in the military affect your chances of being called?

Forum Member

I've never been through a hiring process..usually something snags me up but reasons why the fire service likes/prefers to hire vets:

Chain of command: it is easier for someone who has been a grunt having to scrub toilets to understand why he is scrubbing toilets and the chief isn't.

PT: generally, veterans are in decent shape..or at least have a willingness to work out on a regular basis, because PT was every day.

Uniforms: Veterans wear uniforms every day, and know what it means to represent something bigger then themselves and not to tarnish the image.

Hard Work: most veterans have worked long 12-36 hour days in heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, dust storms, with no food, no cold water, no showers, no cell phones..

Life or death situations: veterans face life or death situations ( most of them) daily, they have to face fears and push past them, to accomplish the mission. They often have to make snap decisions at the drop of a hat that can mean life or death for them or their team.

Veterans are also used to the para-military life style that the academy and the job entails: yes sir no sir, respecting rank, early is on time, on time is late...staying groomed, conducting themselves in a professional manner while on and off the job. and for the reasons I mentioned above.

Forum Member

Thanks for the response. So would joining the military make you a vet? or must you fight in a war for that? what if i was enlisted during peacetime??

Forum Member

if you were in a branch of the service, and servedI beleive at least two years witha an honorable discharge,
    You are a Veteran

this is two years old, but more than like ly still applies:: you get five points added somewher along the line over some one that was not in the service.

Giving out bonus points is not as ham-fisted as it sounds. Veterans already receive five bonus points, and children of fallen FDNY or NYPD get 10. There are five given to people with residency (which is easy to obtain or even forge),

Forum Member

Snoop,
    To be classified as a veteran you must serve 180 days(not including boot, and other specialized training). You don't have to have any combat experience to have "veteran status". You are correct in assuming that it would be easier to get on with a fire department with veteran status as long as you are applying for a department that awards the extra points. Most departments award 5-10 points(the same as being a minority or a woman..crazy I know) for being a veteran, and if you go for a federal position you may even have "veteran's preference".
    With that said.....Joining the military purely to gain the extra points would be a grave mistake. I spent some time in the service, and some time overseas as a contractor in OEF, and all I can tell you is THINK before you sign that dotted line. I personally felt like being in the military was equatable to being in jail, but Ive also met people who absolutely LOVE it. I enjoyed being a contractor much more because of the freedom to come and go as you choose.

If you are thinking of joining the military to gain 5-10 points on a civil service exam...DON'T. If you want a structured life that offers brotherhood, a constant paycheck, and job security then go for it...Just make sure you know what you are getting into. Its not Call of duty and all bang bang. Its about 95% BS, and 5% "This is freaking awesome"..just my hunble opinion.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

thanks for the responses guys. and yeah i honestly wouldnt like being in a war zone i know it must be like hell. so i was considering the navy so i would be on a ship most of the time. and i would get residency because i live in new york, plus the 5 for being a veteran if i joined. so with that in mind i know 10 extra points could put me ahead of the game considering A LOT of people are trying to get on the fdny.

but yeah its a very tough choice and something i must think about more

Forum Member

maybe worng about fdny, but this is four years old and cannot find it on the city web site:::

NYC DCAS Home Page

(C) VETERANS:
    For Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit you must meet the following requirements:
    a. Be a resident of New York State at the time of list establishment; and
    b. Be a United States citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence; and
    c. Received or expect to receive an honorable discharge or release under honorable conditions from the Armed
    Forces of the United States. The “Armed Forces of the United States” means the Army, Navy, Marine Corps,
    Air Force and Coast Guard, including all components thereof, and the National Guard when in the service of
    the United States pursuant to call as provided by Law; and
    d. Have served or are now serving, on full-time active duty, other than active duty for training, in at least one of
    the following Time of War periods below:
    Armed Forces of the United States during:
    $ World War II (December 7, 1941 - December 31,1946); or
    $ Korean Conflict (June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955); or
    $ Vietnam Conflict (February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975); or
    $ Persian Gulf Conflict (August 2, 1990 - to be determined)
    OR
    You must have received the armed forces expeditionary medal,
    navy expeditionary medal, or the marine corps expeditionary
    medal for:
    $ Hostilities in Lebanon (June 1, 1983 - December 1, 1987); or
    $ Hostilities in Grenada (October 23, 1983 - November 21, 1983); or
    $ Hostilities in Panama (December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990).

(C) VETERANS: CONTINUATION
    For Disabled Veterans’ Credit, in addition to a, b, c, and d, at the time the list is established, you must have been found to have a service connected disability incurred in a Time of War period listed on the previous page, which has been rated at least 10 percent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (V.A.). If the V.A. has not certified the disability as permanent, it must have been rated at least 10 percent by a V.A. physician no more than one year prior to the date of filing your application or the date of establishment of the eligible list. Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit should be requested at the time of application, but must be requested before the
    date the eligible list is established. If a candidate requests Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit after an application for an exam has been submitted, the candidate must appear in person or write a letter indicating the candidate’s name, address, social security number, and the open-competitive or promotion exam title and number. The letter must be addressed to DCAS Examining Service Section, 1 Centre Street, 14th Floor, New York, New York 10007. Claims for
    Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit cannot be made once the eligible list is established. All claims for Veterans’ or
    Disabled Veterans’ Credit will be investigated and you will be required to produce documentation, such as discharge
    papers, to prove that you are eligible for the credit.
    Note:
    1. You may use Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit only once after January 1, 1951 for appointment or promotion from a City, State, or County civil service list from a jurisdiction within the State of New York.
    2. Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ credit will be added only to the final score of those candidates who pass all parts of the examination.
    3. The above is only a summary of necessary conditions. The complete provisions are contained in statutory and/or decisional law.

Forum Member

Honestly....it scares me to think a person would commit 3 years of their life to the military....just so they could get 5 points towards FDNY hiring.
    FWDbuff and ffbam24 like this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Honestly....it scares me to think a person would commit 3 years of their life to the military....just so they could get 5 points towards FDNY hiring.
    EXACTLY!

Join to serve a greater purpose.
    NOT to serve yourself.
    SkylinePCG likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    EXACTLY!

Join to serve a greater purpose.
    NOT to serve yourself.
    THIS is where this thread needs to END.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Thread Information