Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dyncorp/Afghanistan Fire Inspector postions

Can anyone fill me in on the Afghanistan Fire Inspector positions Dyncorp hiring for? I'm taking my hazardous materials awareness test this coming Monday, that's the only cert I was lacking. How are the living and working conditions? Hours? Any info will be appreciated? At one time they claimed to have needed 100 fire inspectors. The majority of the O/S Firefighting jobs are all geared towards operations FF's, LT's, Capt's and Chief Officers. My thoughts are, to get that many Inspectors they will have no choice but to hit up the civilian FD "markets". I started out 30+ years ago at age 19 as a USAF FF, after that I worked as a FF/EMT in the Marshall Islands on Roi-Namur. I recently retired as a FF/ Fire Inspector after a 23+ year career with a stateside dept. Some will say I'm flat out STUPID for wanting to go to AFG but if you think the job market for regular jobs is bad, try finding a Fire Inspector position. The closes ones are 8 hour drives away. Oh thanks for the info and help!

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

Dyn Inspectors make about 115K plus 3250 (call it 120) for R&R's and you are paid on a 28 day cycle. With that said, it's Afcrapistan so you WILL live in a tent with lots of other people, you will share showers, you will be in tight quarters, you will deal with highly variable weather, meals and enemy activity. PX's are don't always have enough and you will be having stuff sent from home.

Not stupid to go overseas, just realize it is a short term thing. Maybe 2-3 years. Pay your bills, come home.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok thanks, I REALLY appreciate that info. So I'd say, it safe to say don't worry about bringing a laptop or alot of decent clothes other than the few for R&R. I figured it would be very, VERY....."spartan" accommodations. They way I look at it is this....it's a fire prevention job. And any job is better than NO JOB which is what I have now. It's not something I anticipated staying long term at all. But it will still give me more prevention/inspection experience. And my family is on board as far as the $$. We pay off some bills and BANK the rest so we can go through with are long term plans which of course requires $$$$$ but what doesn't these days. Are there now??

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

Yes but not with Dyn anymore--

Bring your laptop-should be ok as long as it is not an expensive one. Clothes you will figure out as you go (cargo pants, jeans). There is a "loose" dress code but clothes here are functional-boots, pants comfortable and durable for the enviroment. It is spartan but it will be slightly variable depending on where they put you.

Understand about the money aspect--definately pay bills. Have fun, stay safe.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Keep this in mind, and I think Fallujah will agree, it all looks good on paper. I have a couple of friends down south with Dyn...one in ops, one in prevention. In prevention, there is a strong chance you will go from base to base to do inspections, depending on where you end up. I'm not too familiar with Dyn's living conditions but I would imagine spartan would be an upgrade in some areas. I know its that way up north with ITT. (I have buddies there as well) I do believe ITT pays a bit more across the board, though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDLUFT35 View Post
    Keep this in mind, and I think Fallujah will agree, it all looks good on paper. I have a couple of friends down south with Dyn...one in ops, one in prevention. In prevention, there is a strong chance you will go from base to base to do inspections, depending on where you end up. I'm not too familiar with Dyn's living conditions but I would imagine spartan would be an upgrade in some areas. I know its that way up north with ITT. (I have buddies there as well) I do believe ITT pays a bit more across the board, though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Well last week (5/3112) finally had all my "certs" up to date. I applied, Dyn called, then they called back again. There demeanor was literally. "HOW SOON can you deploy". Told them as soon as I can get processed, they said they'd get back. I also got an email saying my cert's are "perfect". Well this past Monday (6/4/12) night I get an email saying "unfortunately, the in country hiring manager did not accept my application". I called Dyn and emailed them and never got a response. I have no idea what the issue was/is. I have all the required cert's. The job description says "TYPICALLY .... five years experience required" The only thing I can think of that on paper I actually ONLY have 4 years and 10 months. With the dates on my cert's I can't fudge it and would rather not do that at all. Who knows. Maybe Dyn has a spy on here reading what we say, but, all I've asked is what's is like there. I look at it this way, if it wasn't meant to be it wasn't meant to be. So much for overseas prevention jobs because I’m too old (51) to apply for firefighter ops stuff, but I can knock out inspection left and right. I’m the last person you have the fight the nozzle for. I’ll be at the pump panel and when you get it put the fire out don’t go ballistic with the
    overhaul destroying my evidence. It is what it is.

Thread Information