Thread: First red card

Forum Member

Default First red card

Hello, I'm taking my first S130/190 class (4 days) next month and was wondering if there is a specific book or any materials that I could study beforehand. Or is four days plenty of time to retain everything? I'm training for the pack test, just a little uncertain about the class work. Thanks!

Forum Member

If I were you, I would be more concentrating on pack test preparation. You need to pass this to get your red card. http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/safety/wct...info_sheet.pdf
    Also, you will be required to know all your 10's and 18's, standard firefighting orders, and watch out situations. NPS Fire and Aviation Management Program - 10 Standard Firefighting Orders and 18 Watchout Situations Use your four days to memorize the 10's and 18's. In my class during inspection the instructors would go through the ranks while we stood at attention and say, "What is watch out 10?" for example.
    The class material is provided when you start your training, I made flashcards to study for exams. If you really want to get extra books, you might try this site.
    Fire Books for Wildland Firefighters

One more useful resource is NFA, has online S130/190 classes. Takes a several days to get approved so register now. NFA Online: Distance Learning for the Fire and Emergency Services

I just noticed the date of your post, I guess you started class by now. Oh well, maybe this info will help the next guy
    Last edited by MichaelXYZ; 05-22-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Forum Member

Micheal pretty well covered expectations, as far as memorizing 10/18s it can't hurt but we are moving away from memorization and moving more towards understanding the intent. Make sure you are prepared to explain why the individual fire order or watchout is important, not just blindly spouting out the words.

As far as books, I highly recommend The Firefighters Handbook on Wildland Firefighting, from Deer Valley Press

http://www.deervalleypress.com/fire-...g-3rd-edition/

It is one of the best books on wildland fire I've run across and I have bought quite a few books on wildland fire over the years. It is comprehensive and has cartoons to emphasize points and help break up some of the dryness.

Forum Member

Thanks guys!!! Great advice! MichaelXYZ - the class doesn't start until June so your advice is helpful (I may not have said it clearly - the class itself is 4 days long, but I already paid for it - still good to have an online resource though). I have a weight vest so I'll definitely work on the pack test also. And Here and there, thanks for the link and you're right....important to really understand and apply the info.

Forum Member

Wow! 4 days seems pretty short. I went thru a CC so my class was 1 semester long. To graduate you will have to write all your 10's and 18's verbatim, and 4 days will make it hard to memorize. My recommendation to you is learn and memorize your 10's and 18's by heart, so when you start day one you have them all memorized, so then you can just concentrate on studying your S130/190 and L-180 material at which time you will learn the reasons for the 10's and 18's. Also use your pack vest and make sure you are prepared come day 4. You will have fun, so enjoy. Also keep in mind, your class is also a job interview, and your instructors can help you land your first seasonal job.

Good Luck

Forum Member

S130 / S190 is frequently called the basic 32 because it is 32 hours long (really closer to 40 because of additions over the years, I-100, L-180, S-134). We frequntly put it on in one week or over 2 weekends.

I also took my initial wildland training at a Community College, but I've taught S130/190 many times in 4 to 5 days. The benefit to taking it over a semester is the greater time for the instructor to get into the important details and add to the training.

Either way you are just getting enough to have a basic understanding of your job when you show up for work, so you don't cause your captain too many grey hairs reminding you for the 4th time the funny rake shaped tool is a McLeod.

Forum Member

I think our class was 144 hours total. One 4 hour lecture session per week and 8 hours on Saturdays to run drills. I think the longer session was to our benefit as we had more time to study and prep for the pack test.

Thread Information