Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Ford Expedition SSV vs Chevy Tahoe PPV

While much smaller than most vehicles discussed here, we're evaluating both SUV's and I wouldn't mind a little input from people who've had experience with these vehicles. I would especially like to hear about any mechanical or electrical problems, ease of upfit, functionality, etc... Thanks!

Forum Member

The chevy Tahoe PPV is a 2wd model, are you looking for information on a 4wd SUV . We have a Ford 4wd and it has been in the shop for many brake problems, and manifold leaks, & converter replaced, it only has 40k miles! It has been a pretty good vehicle for the fire department with different drivers over the years, 2001 with a 5.4 V8.
    Last edited by Woodbridge; 05-21-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Forum Member

The 4x4 isn't a requirement, but if we pick the Ford, it will be a 4x4 because of our state contracts. (Chevy 2wd, Ford 4x4). One of the advantages of the Ford, is the availability of the 3rd row seat. other than that they are kind of similar so far. What year is your Ford?

MembersZone Subscriber

The PPV is Police Package, pursuit rated. Both Ford and Chevy offer both a PPV and SSV configuartion. The SSV is a special service vehicle, with 4x4, but is not pursuit rated.

We have an '08 Expedition, and it's had a few mechanical/electrical issues. Nothing massivly major though.

If I may ask, what is the need for the 3rd row seat?

Forum Member

It's over 100 miles to our fire academy, so paying the extra for the 4rd seat will be offset by not having to rent a van. We're not to worried about having a pursuit rating, our roads are too bumpy. I've also noticed the Tahoe can't be used for towing.

We have a 2012 Chevy Suburban 2500 4wd that we bought for $33,000. If I recall correctly, this isn't that much more than what Tahoes were going for in Illinois on our state bid, but I would need to recheck that.

We've found that here in Illinois there are dealers that can regularly beat the state contracts for vehicles...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ADC120 View Post
    It's over 100 miles to our fire academy, so paying the extra for the 4rd seat will be offset by not having to rent a van. We're not to worried about having a pursuit rating, our roads are too bumpy. I've also noticed the Tahoe can't be used for towing.

If you need it to cart people around, why not look into vans?

Forum Member

That isn't the only thing we'll use it for, we decided to go with the Expedition.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    We have a 2012 Chevy Suburban 2500 4wd that we bought for $33,000. If I recall correctly, this isn't that much more than what Tahoes were going for in Illinois on our state bid, but I would need to recheck that.

We've found that here in Illinois there are dealers that can regularly beat the state contracts for vehicles...
    You got a great buy there for $ 33k, how much extra was the lighting pkg & lettering for your chevy?

I think two radios, lighting, command box, siren, Havis center console, Knox box key secure and everything else was something like $40K. I'd have to go look to be 100% certain, I wasn't at all involved in the project, but I did stumble on a file that had the price we paid for the Suburban. I'll double check the file and see what everything else cost.

If you can live without the DVD player, sunroof, and leather, they're really not a bad price...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Thread Information