MembersZone Subscriber

Default Does a Department have to give a copy of your testing Results

I am a career Firefighter at a smaller department and a member of my local IAFF. Wanting to get on a bigger Department I tested for a large Department in my state last november. I passed the Written and IAFF CPAT. Recently another big department opened up a hiring process that i wanted to apply for I met all the requirements. They weren't having there own cpat and written They just required you have one from somewhere else. That was within a year. There local Tech school has a written and cpat that you have to pay 150 dollars for. Since I already had one from the other bigger dept and they said I could use that one all i had to do was get a copy of the results. Thats were the problem starts I called the bigger dept and they sent me to the HR guy who said they don't release copies of the testing results and copies of cpat results. He then said something like they had to have an written agreement between the two depts to release the results to them. I checked the IAFF website and both depts have full cpat license I tried to read the fine print but didn't see anything about it having to be a written agreement . Also I was once told that all testing done with a fire department is an open record and they have to provide you a copy upon request. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or had the same problem before.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flucas75 View Post
    I am a career Firefighter at a smaller department and a member of my local IAFF. Wanting to get on a bigger Department I tested for a large Department in my state last november. I passed the Written and IAFF CPAT.

Recently another big department opened up a hiring process that i wanted to apply for I met all the requirements. They weren't having there own cpat and written They just required you have one from somewhere else. That was within a year.

There local Tech school has a written and cpat that you have to pay 150 dollars for. Since I already had one from the other bigger dept and they said I could use that one all i had to do was get a copy of the results. Thats were the problem starts I called the bigger dept and they sent me to the HR guy who said they don't release copies of the testing results and copies of cpat results. He then said something like they had to have an written agreement between the two depts to release the results to them. I checked the IAFF website and both depts have full cpat license I tried to read the fine print but didn't see anything about it having to be a written agreement .

Also I was once told that all testing done with a fire department is an open record and they have to provide you a copy upon request. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or had the same problem before.

Cities, counties fire departments and their HR's normally do not release test results openly to all applicants. That being said, if you pass the written they will invite you to take the CPAT. If it done the same day, then you move from one testing to the other. The test is graded and a standing is established.

There is no open record that I have ever heard of in my years in this business. The only obligation they have is to tell you if you passed or failed.

You score high enough and your application appears to be clean then you may be invited for an interview, if you pass that, you may be sent to have a complete medical physical and a background investigation conducted.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Pay the 150, you will get it back in your first pay check

MembersZone Subscriber

I feel your pain. I was in a similar situation before. You would think that a nationally standardized test would be good enough and transfer anywhere where another department is using the same nationally standardized test. But unfortunately, you're probably going to have to buck up and spend the $ to take the CPAT where you can. Unless you somehow get the two departments to communicate directly with each other rather than having you as a gobetween.

By some of the description, is this the PacNW?
    Good luck!

Thread Information