Not sure I follow. You mean contribution levels for Social Security?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 101 to 120 of 352
09-01-2012, 09:38 PM #101
- Join Date
- Feb 2005
- West Point, VA
09-02-2012, 01:23 AM #102
09-02-2012, 02:49 AM #103
- Join Date
- Feb 2005
- West Point, VA
Educate me oh wise one!
09-03-2012, 05:40 AM #104
09-03-2012, 05:51 AM #105
- Join Date
- Feb 2005
- West Point, VA
09-03-2012, 06:56 AM #106
09-04-2012, 07:05 AM #107
- Join Date
- Feb 2005
- West Point, VA
I appreciate the education and think that this is another reason to have these conversations.
It looks like the numbers would work well toward fixing Social Security with that policy, but again, this is a fundamental difference between us, I believe. I think people should take care of themselves, their family and their community. If someone cannot be taken care of through those means, then the state should provide a safety net. Our entitlements are something completely different. The federal government should have never gotten involved in being a financial administrator for a savings plan.
I have no problem and am all for safety nets. The problem with our entitlements is that they have gone from being safety nets to something people who dont need extra benefits get. Why does Mitt Romney or Warren Buffet or Barack Obama need a safety net for retirement? Heck, for that matter, you and I probably dont need one. I dont know you, but based on your posts, it sounds like you worked a good job and had some good benefits. You probably set yourself up so that you didnt have to have the government take care of you when you retire.
Why not means test for government benefits? Not just with Social Security, but for all of them. Through the fire department, as I am sure you have, I've seen many poor people who need help. But I've also seen so many people living in government subsidized housing, getting government funding for food and welfare who have the money to get tattoos, cigarettes, etc. Most of the people we consider poor have a big screen tv, cable or satellite, a dvd player, a car, a smartphone, etc. Why are they receiving money from you and I?
Yes, lifting contribution limits would help Social Security, but my original question dealt with all entitlements and a broken tax method. You say you would keep those systems close to what they are now. I say fundamentally change it. Unfortunately there is no one who is running for president (who can win) that shares my views, so I have to vote for someone who is closest. That is the way national politics usually run.
09-05-2012, 10:34 AM #108
09-05-2012, 01:19 PM #109
09-06-2012, 09:53 AM #110
- Join Date
- Sep 2005
- So of Can. / N. of Mexico
09-15-2012, 02:46 AM #111
- Join Date
- May 2001
- Greensboro, NC USA
Uhh yeah, I'll be voting for the candidate who's an American at heart.
Here's a short list of things Øbama is doing to dismantle America
- lost our AAA credit rating, we just got downgraded AGAIN, by Egan Jones, to AA-
- Øbama added $4 trillion to our national debt in just 4 years, makes Bush look like “tight-wad."
- Øbama wasted $3 billion on Cash for Clunkers. It didn't stimulate demand, it only rescheduled it, and it destroyed thousands of otherwise valuable used car engine.
- Øbama spent our grandchildren’s money to bailout the UAW under the guise of bailing out GM, giving them a disproportionate share of ownership of GM over legitimate debt holders. Jesse James used a gun.
- Øbama violated the War Powers Act by using the military to overthrow Gaddafi in Libya.
- Fast & Furious, and veiled attempt to discredit gun owners by arming the Mexican Cartel.
- Øbamacare, a boondoggle entitlement program that is the largest tax increase in history.
- Sues Arizona and other places for trying to enforce the laws that the Feds won't enforce themselves.
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, a $787 Billion program that hasn’t done much of anything to help America’s recovery.
- Paying people not to work by extending unemployment benefits. If the government will continue to send me checks every week, why would I need a job?
- His support for Occupy Wall Street, a organization that demands other people give their property to others, and accuses them of being greedy for not doing so.
- Øbama eats dogs, and I love dogs. (he wrote about it in his autobiography)
- Unemployment, since Øbama took office, it has never been lower than 8%.
- Øbama’s church, where they asked the Almighty to condemn America.
- Øbama refuses to meet with B. Netanyahu because he has no time, but schedules appearances on Letterman and to discuss the Miami Dolphins and rap music with 106.7 FM’s DJ Laz.
- Øbama spends more time golfing than attending economic meetings of any kind even as the economy staggers toward another recession.
- Gas prices, the price has doubled since Øbama was sworn in
- Solyndra, where Øbama laundered $535 million to pay off donor George Kaiser under the guise of “green energy policy.”
- 47 million people on food stamps, more than anytime in history. When people are dependent on someone else, they are not free.
- Øbama wages a war on coal, driving up electricity prices and putting coal miners out of work. America has more coal than any other nation, refusing to use it would be like Saudi Arabia refusing to use petroleum.
- Øbama promised that he would end the War in Iraq on Day 1. He did not. The Iraq War ended exactly on the schedule that Bush arranged before leaving office.
- Øbama promised to restore America's standing on the world stage. He has not. He has insulted our allies, bowed to our enemies and made both himself and this nation the laughing stock of international diplomacy.
- Øbama promised to fix the economy. He has not. Incomes are down, unemployment is up, inflation has caused the prices of food and energy to skyrocket and the value of the dollar has diminished.
- Hope is not a plan, it's an emotion.
- Øbama's not shy to accuse Republican's of waging a "War on Women" but he's essentially banned the phrase, "War on Terror."
- The Øbama administration refuses to acknowledge the Ford Hood shooting as an act of terrorism, instead calling it "workplace violence."
- Øbama announced a $60 billion sale of arms to the Saudi Arabian dictatorship, the largest arms deal in history.
- Øbama requested thousands of secret spying warrants, than defended the use of warrantless wiretapping, after he attacked Bush for using warrantless wiretapping.
- Øbama tried to stop the Supreme Court from hearing a challenge of warrantless wiretapping.
- Øbama broke promise to allow five days of public comment before signing bills, repeatedly.
- Øbama broke promise to broadcast health care negotiations on C-SPAN.
- Øbama broke promise to reduce earmarks to 1994 levels.
- Øbama claimed the government can never be sued for surveillance that violates federal law, a position more radical than the Bush Administration’s.
- Øbama broke promise to cut deficit in half by the end of his first term.
- Øbama reneged on accepting public financing limits for his presidential campaign.
- Øbama's last budget was voted down 99-0, and the one fore that 97-0.
- Øbama continues to shovel billions of our grand-children's money to hostile maniacal savages who what want to kill us.
- The Øbama Regime has inflicted on the crippled economy well over 11,000 pages of pernicious if not deliberately malevolent rules and regulations.
Given Obama’s disastrous performance in his first term, what could we expect in Part II, given his promise of “bold, persistent experimentation” and his whispering to our Russian adversaries about having “more flexibility”? President Øbama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people. Thankfully, the hoax appears to be coming unraveled in time to save us from another four years of senseless damage.
BTW, if anyone is interested in buying the Presidential vehicle:
The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America
09-15-2012, 09:56 AM #112
I used to tell the conservatives at work how they were all patriots until they were asked to open up their wallets.
Your list is (as you know) taken in a snapshot context. When one looks at the economic issues holistically, Obama has done a remarkable job of keeping the country from collapse. A very real situation that was possible when he was elected.
The best soundbite:
GM is alive, bin Laden is dead.
Please keep posting these nonsensical biased lists. Always great fun reading the views of the extreme.
To make it easy for conservatives like you: Romney is not Reagan, Obama is not Carter, and this isn't 1980.
BTW, how did all those birther claims work out for you. He's still president. Do you still believe he's not a citizen?
Last edited by scfire86; 09-15-2012 at 12:04 PM.Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."
09-15-2012, 11:20 AM #113
Hey moonbat, I can cut and paste just like you.
Here are 200 accomplishments of the Obama Administration:
1. Within his first week, he signed an Executive Order ordering an audit of government contracts, and combating waste and abuse. http://1.usa.gov/dUvbu5
2. Created the post of Chief Performance Officer, whose job it is to make operations more efficient to save the federal government money. http://n.pr/hcgBn1
3. On his first full day, he froze White House salaries. http://on.msnbc.com/ewJUIx
4. He appointed the first Federal Chief Information Officer to oversee federal IT spending. http://www.cio.gov
5. He committed to phasing out unnecessary and outdated weapons systems. To that end, he also signed the Democratic-sponsored Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act, which attempted to put a stop to waste, fraud and abuse in the defense procurement and contracting system. http://bit.ly/hOw1t1 http://bit.ly/fz8GAd
6. Through an executive order, he created the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform. http://bit.ly/hwKhKa
He Improved the Economy, Preventing a Bush Depression
7. Pushed through and signed the Democratic-sponsored American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, otherwise known as “the stimulus package.” The bill passed, even though only three Republicans voted for it. In a major departure from the previous administration, he launched recovery.gov, a website that allows taxpayers to track spending from the Act. http://1.usa.gov/ibiFSs http://1.usa.gov/e3BJMk
8. The Bush-led Great Recession was costing the economy nearly 800,000 jobs per month by the time President Obama took office. But by the end of his first year, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act created and sustained 2.1 million jobs and stimulated the economyby 3.5%. http://reut.rs/i46CEE
9. Not only did he completed the massive TARP financial and banking rescue plan, he also leaned on the banks and others, and recovered virtually all of the bail-out money. http://1.usa.gov/eA5jVS http://bit.ly/eCNrD6
10. He created the Making Home Affordable home refinancing plan. http://1.usa.gov/goy6zl
11. Oversaw the creation of more jobs in 2010 alone than Bush did in eight years. http://bit.ly/hrrnjY
12. Along with Democrats, and almost no Republicans, implemented an auto industry rescue plan, and saved as many as 1 million jobs. http://bit.ly/ibhpxr Many are of the opinion that he saved the entire auto industry, and even the economy of the entire Midwest. http://bit.ly/gj7mt5 This resulted in GM returning to its place as the top car company in the world. http://lat.ms/zIJuQx Willard Romney, on the other hand, advocated for the entire industry to go belly-up. http://nyti.ms/k0zp
13. Doubled funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership, which is designed to improve manufacturing efficiency. http://bit.ly/eYD4nf
14. Signed the Democratic-sponsored Fraud Enforcement and Recovery Act giving the federal government more tools to investigate and prosecute fraud in every corner of the financial system, and create a bipartisan Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission to investigate the financial fraud that led to the economic meltdown. http://abcn.ws/g18Fe7
15. Signed the Democratic-sponsored Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act, which was designed to to protect consumers from unfair and deceptive credit card practices. http://1.usa.gov/gIaNcS
16. Increased infrastructure spending after years of neglect. http://bit.ly/f77aOw
17. Signed the Democratic-sponsored and passed Helping Families Save Their Homes Act, expanding on the Making Home Affordable Program to help millions of Americans avoid preventable foreclosures. The bill also provided $2.2 billion to help combat homelessness, and to stabilize the housing market. http://bit.ly/eEpLFn
18. Through the Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009, he and Congressional Democrats provided tax credits to first-time home buyers, which helped the U.S. housing market recovery. http://bit.ly/dZgXXw http://bit.ly/gORYfL
19. Initiated a $15 billion plan designed to encourage increased lending to small businesses.
20. Created business.gov, which allows for online collaboration between small businesses and experts re managing a business. (The program has since merged with SBA.gov.) http://www.business.gov
21. Played a lead role in getting the G-20 Summit to commit to a $1.1 trillion deal to combat the global financial crisis. http://nyti.ms/gHlgp5
22. Took steps to improve minority access to capital. http://bit.ly/f9xVE7
23. Signed an Executive Order instructing federal agencies to review all federal regulations and remove any unnecessary and/or burdensome regulations from the books. http://1.usa.gov/Lpo5bd
24. Through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, saved at least 300,000 education jobs, such as teachers, principals, librarians, and counselors that would have otherwise been lost. http://1.usa.gov/ez30Dc
25. Dismantled the Minerals Management Service, thereby cutting ties between energy companies and the government. http://nyti.ms/bw1MLu
26. Along with Congressional Democrats, provided funding to states and the Department of Homeland Security to save thousands of police and firefighter jobs from being cut during the recession. http://bit.ly/g0IKWR
27. Used recovered TARP money to fund programs at local housing finance agencies in California, Florida, Nevada, Arizona and Michigan. http://on.msnbc.com/i1i8eV
28. Crafted an Executive order establishing the President’s Advisory Council on Financial Capability to assist in financial education for all Americans. http://bit.ly/eyqsNE
He Fostered Greater Transparency and Better Government, After the Excesses of the Bush Years
29. Signed an order banning gifts from lobbyists to anyone in the Executive Branch. http://bit.ly/fsBACN
30. Signed an order banning anyone from working in an agency they had lobbied in previous years, and put strict limits on lobbyists’ access to the White House. http://nyti.ms/gOrznV
31. Held the first-ever first online town hall from the White House, and took questions from the public. http://bit.ly/gVNSgX
32. Became the first to stream every White House event, live. http://1.usa.gov/kAgOP5
33. Established a central portal for Americans to find service opportunities. http://www.serve.gov
34. Provided the first voluntary disclosure of the White House Visitors Log in history. http://1.usa.gov/hQ7ttV
35. Issued an Executive Order on Presidential Records, which restored the 30-day time frame for former presidents to review records, and eliminated the right for the vice president or family members of former presidents to do the reviews. Provides the public with greater access to historic White House documents, and severely curtails the ability to use executive privilege to shield them. http://1.usa.gov/gUetLb
36. Improved aspects of the Freedom of Information Act, and issued new guidelines to make FOIA more open and transparent when processing FOIA requests. http://1.usa.gov/gjrnp2
Wall Street Reforms and Consumer Protection
37. Ordered 65 executives who took bailout money to cut their own pay until they paid back all bailout money. http://huff.to/eAi9Qq
38. Along with Congressional Democrats, pushed through and got passed Dodd-Frank, one of the largest and most comprehensive Wall Street reforms since the Great Depression. http://bit.ly/hWCPg0 http://bit.ly/geHpcD
39. Through Dodd-Frank legislation, created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau http://1.usa.gov/j5onG
40. Through Dodd-Frank, the Executive Branch fashioned rules that reduce the influence of speculators in the oil market. http://bit.ly/MDnA1t
41. Fashioned rules so that banks can no longer use YOUR money to invest in high-risk financial instruments that work against their own customers' interests. http://bit.ly/fnTayj
42. Supported the concept of allowing stockholders to vote on executive compensation. http://bit.ly/fnTayj
43. Endorsed and supported the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act of 2009 that would close offshore tax avoidance loopholes. http://bit.ly/esOdfB http://bit.ly/eG4DPM
44. Negotiated a deal with Swiss banks that now permits the US government to gain access to the records of criminals and tax evaders. http://bit.ly/htfDgw
45. Signed the American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act, which closed many of the loopholes that allowed companies to send jobs overseas, and avoid paying US taxes by moving money offshore. http://1.usa.gov/bd1RTq
46. Established a Consumer Protection Financial Bureau designed to protect consumers from financial sector excesses. http://bit.ly/fnTayj
47. Oversaw and then signed a Democratic bill constituting the most sweeping food safety legislation since the Great Depression. http://thedc.com/gxkCtP
48. Through the Fraud Enforcement and Recovery Act, extended the False Claims Act to combat fraud by companies and individuals usingmoney from the TARP and Stimulus programs. http://bit.ly/SLTcSa
He Ushered Through Many Changes That Enhanced Civil Rights and Anti-Discrimination
49. Along with Congressional Democrats, advocated for and signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which made it a federal crime to assault anyone based on his or her sexual orientation or gender identity. http://bit.ly/gsMSJ7
50. Pushed through, signed and demanded the Pentagon enact a repeal of the discriminatory “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy that forced soldiers to lie in order to be eligible to fight for their country, and put our troops at risk by disqualifying many qualified soldiers from helping. http://bit.ly/fdahuH http://bit.ly/mZV4Pz
51. Extended benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees. http://1.usa.gov/g2RLCj
52. Appointed more openly gay officials than anyone in history. http://bit.ly/g1lA7D
53. Appointed first openly transgender Cabinet Official in History. http://bit.ly/58zUp7
54. Changed HUD rules to prohibit gender and sexual orientation-based discrimination in housing bit.ly/9RxEnP
55. Changed his mind and publicly expressed support for the right to enter into a same-sex marriage. http://bit.ly/JsiFKp
56. Issued a Presidential Memorandum reaffirming the rights of gay couples to make medical decisions for each other. http://1.usa.gov/aUueGT
57. Wrote and signed an Executive Order establishing a White House Council on Women and Girls to ensure that all Cabinet and Cabinet-level agencies evaluate the effect of their policies and programs on women and families. http://bit.ly/e1puTk http://1.usa.gov/rFfqMM
58. Signed the Democratic-sponsored Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which restored basic protections against pay discrimination for women and other workers. This was after the GOP blocked the bill in 2007. Only 5 Republican Senators voted for the bill. http://bit.ly/fT3Cxg
59. Expanded funding for the Violence Against Women Act. http://1.usa.gov/dSbI0x
60. Under his guidance, National Labor Relations Board issued final rules that require all employers to prominently post employees' rights where all employees or prospective employees can see it, including websites and intranets, beginning November 2011. http://1.usa.gov/qu2EhQ
61. Advocated that United Nations adopt a policy supporting gay rights worldwide. http://lat.ms/pQe1RS
62. Issued an order requiring hospitals to allow visitation by same-sex couples. reut.rs/llNJek
63. Appointed Kareem Dale as the first ever Special Assistant to the President for Disability Policy. http://1.usa.gov/fi5IY0
64. Helped Democrats in Congress pass and signed the Civil Rights History Act. http://bit.ly/th0JC8
He Made Major Improvements in Foreign Relations and American Status Around the World
65. Visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any previous president during his first six months in office. http://bit.ly/hZycda
66. As he promised, he gave a speech at a major Islamic forum in Cairo early in his administration. http://nyti.ms/dKvY4g
67. Helped to restore America's reputation around the world as a global leader that does the "right thing" in world affairs, at least according to the rest of the world. http://bit.ly/h743y7 http://bit.ly/ho4TCr
68. Re-established and reinforced our partnership with NATO and other allies on strategic international issues. http://1.usa.gov/e7QuDj
69. Closed a number of secret detention facilities. http://nyti.ms/rpUc9l
70. Improved relations with Middle East countries by appointing special envoys. http://1.usa.gov/tiGAGe
71. Pushed for military to emphasize devlopment of foreign language skills. http://bit.ly/AxUCLV
72. Offered $400 million to the people living in Gaza, called on both Israel and the Palestinians to stop inciting violence. http://bit.ly/9axfWh
73. Refused to give Israel the green light to attack Iran over their possible nuclear program, and thus avoid another war that Republicans wanted. http://bit.ly/xVmSZK
74. Worked with Democratic Congress to make donations to Haiti tax deductible in 2009. http://huff.to/6YkAVY
75. Established a new U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue. http://1.usa.gov/eX28DP
76. Issued Executive Order blocking interference and helping to stabilize Somalia. http://1.usa.gov/hxdf8U
77. Established new, more reasonable policies in our relations with Cuba, such as allowing Cuban-Americans to visit their families and send money to support them. http://n.pr/hY3Kwa http://nyti.ms/emQBde
78. Ordered the closure of the prison at Guantanamo Bay. It was Republicans (and, unfortunately, progressive Democrats) who prevented follow through. http://bit.ly/eW6CVF
79. Ordered a review of our detention and interrogation policy, and prohibited the use of torture, or what Bush called "enhanced interrogation." He ordered interrogators to limit their actions to the Army Field manual. http://bit.ly/g6MTuC
80. Ordered all secret detention facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere to be closed. http://bbc.in/h6N9ax
81. Released the Bush torture memos. http://bit.ly/hWJ5z0
82. On his second day in office, he signed a detailed Executive Order that banned torture, reversed all Bush torture policies, and put the United States in compliance with the Geneva Convention. http://1.usa.gov/dL6Zve http://nyti.ms/hzWWys
83. In response to the emerging "Arab Spring," he created a Rapid Response fund, to assist emerging democracies with foreign aid, debt relief, technical assistance and investment packages in order to show that the United States stands with them. http://bit.ly/zfmGv9
84. Passed the Iran Sanctions Act, to prevent war, and to encourage Iran to give up their nuclear program. http://1.usa.gov/wLtNjb
85. Ended the Iraq War. http://tgr.ph/ru0tyS
86. Authorized and oversaw a secret mission by SEAL Team Six to rescue two hostages held by Somali pirates. http://bit.ly/y8c9Fz
He Took a More Realistic Approach to “Defense”
87. Created a comprehensive new strategy for dealing with the international nuclear threat. http://1.usa.gov/gDX1nE
88. Authorized a $1.4 billion reduction in Star Wars program in 2010. http://1.usa.gov/gLFZl2
89. Restarted nuclear nonproliferation talks and built up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocols to where they had been before Bush. http://lat.ms/gkcl3i
90. Signed and pushed through ratification a new SALT Treaty. http://bit.ly/f3JVtw
91. Negotiated and signed a new START Treaty that will lst until at least 2021. http://1.usa.gov/cI1bC4
92. Through the Defense Authorization Act, reversed the Bush Administration and committed to no permanent military bases in Iraq. http://bit.ly/hk73OJ
93. Developed first comprehensive strategy with regard to Afghanistan and Pakistan designed to facilitate the defeat of al Qaeda and the withdrawal of most troops, as well as the rebuilding of Afghanistan. http://wapo.st/ee4Xcs
94. Returned our focus to Afghanistan, stabilized the country, and began the process of withdrawing our troops from the country. http://bit.ly/lNXUna
95. Negotiated a deal with Afghan govenment, to withdraw troops and military support, while assisting in rebuilding and modernizing of the country. http://bit.ly/K362an
96. Took steps to severely weaken al Qaeda and limited their ability to terrorize the world. http://yhoo.it/n5lXs6
97. Negotiated and signed a nuclear nonproliferation treaty with India. http://1.usa.gov/aHp0Cn
98. Took decisive action to use NATO to limit the slaughter of innocents in Libya, so that the Libyan people could topple a despotic government and determine their own fate. http://aje.me/qAh4Sj
His Administration Treated Soldiers and Veterans with Respect That Was Missing Previously
99. Along with Congressional Democrats, not only reauthorized families of fallen soldiers to be able to visit when the body arrives at Dover AFB, but also provided funding for it. Ended the media blackout on coverage of the return of fallen soldiers. http://nyti.ms/glqN66 http://bbc.in/gWSSkA
100. Funded Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with an extra $1.4 billion to improve veterans’ services. http://1.usa.gov/huhqfo
101. Provided active combat troops with better body armor. http://bit.ly/hzSv2h
102. Created Joint Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record program for military personnel, in order to improve the quality of their medical care. http://1.usa.gov/f4yaxW
103. Put an end to the Bush-era stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan beyond their enlistment date. (personal note: my son will be in harm’s way for six fewer months with Obama as president, so you know I love this one.) http://nyti.ms/e2YQ7Q
104. Along with Congressional Democrats, supported and signed Veterans Health Care Budget Reform and Transparency Act, which made more money available to enable better medical care for veterans. http://1.usa.gov/fN4ur1
105. Along with Congressional Democrats, ushered through largest spending increase in 30 years for Department of Veterans Affairs, with money to go to improved medical facilities, and to assist states in acquiring or constructing state nursing homes and extended care facilities. http://1.usa.gov/gY8O3x
106. Created the Green Vet Initiative, which provided special funding to the Labor Department to provide veterans with training in green jobs. http://bit.ly/epwUQY
107. Initiated and signed a recruitment and employment plan to get more veterans into government jobs. http://bit.ly/b48coi
108. Oversaw a $4.6 billion expansion of the Veterans Administration budget to pay for more mental health professionals. http://bit.ly/gjzTxX
109. Signed the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act, which ensures that spouses of military personnel who are forced to move because their spouse is posted for military duty will be able to avoid state taxes in their temporary residence. http://bit.ly/1Gh0NX
He Refocused the Federal Government on Education
110. Repeatedly increased funding for student financial aid, and at the same time cut the banks completely out of the process. http://bit.ly/gYWd30 http://bit.ly/e9c7Dr http://bit.ly/eEzTNq
111. Reformed student loan program, to make it possible for students to refinance at a lower rate. http://nyti.ms/dMvHOt
112. Through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act , invested heavily in elementary, secondary and post-secondary education. http://1.usa.gov/gGRIAr
113. Created the Race to the Top program, which encouraged states to come up with effective school reforms and rewards the best of them. http://bit.ly/NHtZ7L
114. Oversaw major expansion of broadband availability in K-12 schools nationwide http://bit.ly/fNDcj3 ,
115. Oversaw major expansion in school construction. http://bit.ly/fYwNrV
116. Also through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, he put $5 billion into early education, including Head Start. http://1.usa.gov/tzT2Rr
117. Signed the Democratic-sponsored Post-9/11 GI Bill, also known as GI Bill 2.0 http://bit.ly/hPhG7J
118. Oversaw expansion of the Pell Grants program, to expand opportunity for low income students to go to college. http://bit.ly/hI6tXz
119. Along with Democratic Congress, passed and signed Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, which provided an extra $12.2 billion in funds. http://1.usa.gov/dQvtUe
120. Took major new steps to protec students from ineffective for-profit colleges through "gainful employment" measures, whereby schools have to demonstrate that its students actually find work to get federal aid. http://1.usa.gov/jkzQe2
121. With First Lady Michelle Obama, passed the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, which will improve nutrition in schools and make children healthier. http://1.usa.gov/GAXkSk
He Pushed Through Improvements in National Safety and Security
122. Restored federal agencies such as FEMA to the point that they have been able to manage a huge number of natural disasters successfully. http://bit.ly/h8Xj7z
123. Authorized Navy SEALS to successfully secure the release of a US captain held by Somali pirates and increased patrols off the Somali coast. http://nyti.ms/efBO7B
124. Has repeatedly beefed up border security http://bit.ly/mMYB4i
125. Ordered and oversaw the Navy SEALS operation that killed Osama bin Laden. http://bit.ly/jChpgw
Reoriented Government to an Adult View on Science, Technology and Health Care
126. Created a Presidential Memorandum to restore scientific integrity in government decision-making. http://1.usa.gov/g2SDuw
127. Opened up process for fast-tracking patent approval for green energy projects. http://bit.ly/j0KV2U
128. Eliminated Bush-era restrictions on embryonic stem cell research, and provided increased federal support for biomedical and stem cell research. http://bit.ly/h36SSO http://ti.me/edezge
129. Through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, committed more federal funding, about $18 billion, to support non-defense science and research labs. http://nyti.ms/fTs9t7
130. Signed Democratic-sponsored Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, the first comprehensive attempt to improve the lives of Americans living with paralysis. http://bit.ly/fOi2rb
131. Expanded the Nurse-Family Partnership program, which provides home visits by trained registered nurses to low-income expectant mothers and their families, to cover more first-time mothers. http://bit.ly/jRRRJc
132. Obama EPA reveresed research ethics standards which allowed humands to be used as "guinea pigs" in tests of the effects of chemicals, to comply with numerous codes of medical ethics. http://bit.ly/bKgqdS
133. Conducted a cyberspace policy review. http://1.usa.gov/gmbdvC
134. Provided financial support for private sector space programs. http://bit.ly/fn8ucr
135. Oversaw enhanced earth mapping, to provide valuable data for agricultural, educational, scientific, and government use. http://bit.ly/dNTRyP
136. Along with Democrats in Congress, ushered through and signed a bill authorizing FDA to regulate tobacco. http://on.msnbc.com/fiKViB As a result, the FDA has Ordered Tobacco Companies to Disclose Cigarette Ingredients and banned sale of cigarettes falsely labeled as “light.”
137. Through American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, provided $500 million for Health Professions Training Programs. http://bit.ly/ecQSgA
138. Increased funding for community-based prevention programs. http://bit.ly/frMPG3
139. Oversaw a 50% decrease in cost of prescription drugs for seniors. http://bit.ly/e5b1iq http://1.usa.gov/fVNkt9
140. Eliminated the Bush-era practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug companies on price. http://bit.ly/fOkG5b
141. Two weeks after taking office, signed Democratic-sponsored Children’s Health Insurance Reauthorization Act, which increased the number of children covered by health insurance by 4 million. http://bit.ly/fDEzGv
142. Urged Congress to investigate Anthem Blue Cross for raising premiums 39% without explanation. Democratic Rep. Waxman responded by launching a probe, and Anthem Blue Cross put increase on hold for two months. http://yhoo.it/e8Tj9C
143. Ushered through and signed Affordable Care Act, which expanded health insurance coverage to at least 30 million more people, ended many common insurance company practices that are often detrimental to those with coverage. He also established healthcare.gov, so that taxpayers could keep up with developments. http://www.healthcare.gov/
144. Through ACA, allowed children to be covered under their parents’ policy until they turned 26. http://nyti.ms/fNB26V
145. Through the ACA, provided tax breaks to allow 3.5 million small business to provide health insurance to their employees, and 29 million people will receive tax breaks to help them afford health insurance. http://nyti.ms/fNB26V
146. Through the ACA, expanded Medicaid to those making up to 133% of the federal poverty level. http://nyti.ms/ekMWpo
147. Through the ACA, health insurance companies now have to disclose how much of your premium actually goes to pay for patient care. http://nyti.ms/fNB26V
148. Provisions in theACA have already resulted in Medicare costs actually declining slightly this fiscal year, for the first time in many years, according to the Congressional Budget Office. The increase in 2011 was 4%, which is very low compared to the average 12% annual inflation rate during previous 40 years. http://1.usa.gov/oMxpTh
149. Through the ACA, expanded space exploration and discovery options to more players http://bit.ly/PNTS7e
150. Through the Connect America Fund, pushed through and received FCC approval for a move of $8 billion in subsidies away from telephone landlines to assist lower-income rural families in accessing broadband. http://lat.ms/vhRUEs
He Took Steps to Strengthen the Middle Class and Families, and to Fight Poverty
151. Worked to provide affordable, high-quality child care to working families. http://bit.ly/fNfidS
152. Cracked down on companies that were previously denying sick pay, vacation and health insurance, and Social Security and Medicare tax payments through abuse of the employee classification of independent contractor. http://nyti.ms/fOGLcj
153. Through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act , cut taxes for 95% of America's working families. http://bit.ly/eSEI4F
154. Tax rates for average working families are the lowest since 1950. http://bit.ly/f74pD8
155. Extended and fully funded the patch for the Alternative Minimum Tax for 10 years. http://bit.ly/eFeSdP
156. Extended discounted COBRA health coverage for the unemployed from 9 months to 15 months, and he’s extended unemployment benefits several times. http://aol.it/evtVxD http://nyti.ms/emrqKJ http://bit.ly/hOtIpg http://bit.ly/fTT7kz
157. Provided a $20 billion increase for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps). http://nyti.ms/gfLqyM
158. Signed an Executive Order that established the White House Office of Urban Affairs. http://wapo.st/eWECA8
He Took Concrete Steps to Improve Our Environment and Address Our Energy Needs
159. Fast-tracked regulations to allow states to enact fuel efficiency standards that exceeded federal standards. http://nyti.ms/e8e94x
160. Fast-tracked increased fuel economy standards for vehicles beginning with the 2011 model year. It was the first time such standards had been increased in a decade. http://politi.co/hiaPKM
161. Oversaw establishment of an Energy Partnership for the Americas, to create more markets for American-made biofuels and green energy technologies. http://bit.ly/lZp73y
162. Obama EPA reversed a Bush-era decision to allow the largest mountaintop removal project in US history. http://bit.ly/lP3yEL
163. Ordered the Department of Energy to implement more aggressive efficiency standards for common household appliances. http://1.usa.gov/g3MTbu
164. Ordered energy plants to prepare to produce at least 15% of all energy through renewable resources like wind and solar, by 2021. http://reut.rs/fV155p (As you can see, Republicans are trying hard to kill it.)
165. Oversaw the creation of an initiative that converts old factories and manufacturing centers into new clean technology centers. http://bit.ly/mjnq2R
166. Bypassed Republican opposition in Congress and ordered EPA to begin regulating and measuring carbon emissions. http://bit.ly/froaP5
167. Obama EPA ruled that CO2 is a pollutant. http://bit.ly/iQTSNN
168. Oversaw doubling federal spending on clean energy research. http://bit.ly/iN0sCE
169. Pushed through a tax credit to help people buy plug-in hybrid cars. http://bit.ly/j8UP5Y
170. Created a program to develop renewable energy projects on the waters of our Outer Continental Shelf that will produce electricity from wind, wave, and ocean currents. http://1.usa.gov/fgfRWq
171. Reengaged in the climate change and greenhouse gas emissions agreements talks, and proposed one himself. He also addressed the U.N. Climate Change Conference, officially reversing the Bush era stance that climate change was a “hoax.” http://bit.ly/dX6Vj3 http://bit.ly/fE2PxK http://nyti.ms/hfeqvv
172. Fully supported the initial phase of the creation of a legally-binding treaty to reduce mercury emissions worldwide. http://bit.ly/eJ6QOO
173. Required states to provide incentives to utilities to reduce their energy consumption. http://bit.ly/lBhk7P
174. Following the neglect of Bush’s eight year reign, he reengaged in a number of treaties and agreements designed to protect the Antarctic. http://bit.ly/fzQUFO
175. Created tax write-offs for purchases of hybrid automobiles, and later he and Democrats morphed that program into one that includes electric cars. http://bit.ly/glCukV
176. Mandated that federal government fleet purchases be for fuel-efficient American vehicles, and encouraged that federal agencies support experimental, fuel-efficient vehicles. http://bit.ly/h5KZqy http://1.usa.gov/fLWq5c http://1.usa.gov/hmUSbk
177. Oversaw and pushed through amendment to the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 authorizing advances from Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. http://1.usa.gov/yTRYVo
178. Actively tried to amend the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 to eliminate the liability limits for those companies responsible for large oil spills. http://nyti.ms/bxjDi3
179. Initiated Criminal and Civil inquiries into the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. http://nyti.ms/bVuB7a
180. Through his EPA, he asserted federal legal supremacy, and barred Texas from authorizing new refinery permits on its own. http://bit.ly/ww8eMd
181. Strengthened the Endangered Species Act. http://bit.ly/hscjsH
182. Obama EPA improved boiler safety standards to improve air quality, and save 6500 lives per year. http://bit.ly/jYH7nt
183. Through the EPA, attemped to take steps to severely limit the use of antibiotics in livestock feed, to increase their efficacy in humans. http://bit.ly/fBuWd2
184. Through new EPA regulations, he created a pretext for closing the dirtiest power plants in the country, by limiting emissions of mercury and other toxic gasses. http://bit.ly/rQCIgA
185. Increased funding for National Parks and Forests by 10% http://bit.ly/fbJPjY
186. Announced greatly improved commercial fuel efficiency standards. http://1.usa.gov/oQiC1K
187. Announced a huge increase in average fuel economy standards from 27.5mpg in 2010 to 35.5mpg starting in 2016 and 54.5 starting in 2025 http://1.usa.gov/qtghsW
But That's Not All...
188. Expanded trade agreements to include stricter labor and environmental agreements such as NAFTA. http://bit.ly/etznpY
189. Oversaw funding of the design of a new Smithsonian National Museum of African American History, which is scheduled to open on the National Mall in 2015. He protected the funding during the recent budget negotiations. http://on.fb.me/fD0EVO http://bit.ly/ff5Luv
190. Oversaw and passed increased funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. http://bit.ly/dFb8qF
191. Nominated Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court. Sotomayor is the first Hispanic Justice in the court’s history, and the women represent only the third and fourth women to serve on the court, out of a total of 112 justices. http://huff.to/eOChg6 http://bit.ly/i02wgP
192. Appointed the most diverse Cabinet in history, including more women than any other incoming president. http://bit.ly/dX6vNB
193. Eliminated federal funding for abstinence-only education, and rescinded the global gag rule. http://bit.ly/eCFAI1 http://bit.ly/f92drF
194. Loosened the rules and allowed the 14 states that legalized medical marijuana to regulate themselves without federal interference. http://huff.to/eQfa7j
195. Signed national service legislation, increasing funding for national service groups, including triple the size of the Americorps program. http://bit.ly/idgQH5
196. Signed an Executive Order that will speed up deployment of a more comprehensive broadband infrastructure. http://1.usa.gov/M7rVpe
197. Signed an Executive Order creating jobs immediately by instructing them to reduce the time needed for review and permitting of infrastructure projects. http://1.usa.gov/GHxaYt
198. Signed a bill that provided $4.3 billion in additional assistance to 9/11 first reponders. http://bit.ly/o7cWYS
199. Signed an Executive Order pledging support for efforts to end the global problem of violence against women and girls. http://1.usa.gov/MHTRVU
And Did You Know?
200. Despite the characterizations of some, Obama’s success rate in winning congressional votes on issues was an unprecedented 96.7% for his first year in office. Though he is often cited as superior to Obama, President Lyndon Johnson’s success rate in 1965 was only 93%. http://n.pr/i3d7cYPolitics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."
09-15-2012, 12:39 PM #114
- Join Date
- May 2001
- Greensboro, NC USA
Romney gave many times more to charity than President Zero's income. Romney’s wealth sharing is not the government-mandated-shakedown variety that Øbama promulgates on the campaign trail. Rather, the Romney's have freely and generously given to charity.
General Motors’ stock has been nose-diving. It has fallen 39% since its initial public offering in November 2010. GM is less competitive than ever, now that it builds vehicles to please bureaucrats Big Labor Goons rather than customers.
And yes, Bin Laden is dead, thanx to intel provided by Bush-era interrogation techniques that President Zero refuses to use. And who wouldn't have order the Bin Laden raid? Mother Theresa, MAYBE.
BTW, Did you get your wife to pay for those calendar lessons? Do you still believe the Fed's fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30?
Have you found proof of those Bush Administration officials that claimed that Iraq's oil profits would pay for all the US's was expenses?
How is the math & finance tutoring coming along? Do you still think the Iraq War costs us $3 Trillion? BTW, it hasn't even topped $810 billion yet. That's less than Øbamacare will cost us in the same time frame.
Last edited by txgp17; 09-15-2012 at 12:42 PM.The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America
09-15-2012, 04:20 PM #115
Please keep comparing this election to 1980. It's obvious you aren't old enough to remember that era and the circumstances that led to Carter's defeat.
Here is SecDef Rumsfeld stating:
Iraqis will pay for the rebuilding of their country, the defense secretary noted, through oil revenues, recovered assets, international trade, direct foreign investments and contributions from the international community.
Yes. Thanks, these are easy questions. Very much appreciate the softballs.
Last edited by scfire86; 09-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."
09-15-2012, 10:27 PM #116
- Join Date
- May 2001
- Greensboro, NC USA
Reuters, who documented the fiasco.
Keep repeating the lie that Romney wouldn't kill if given the opportunity. Despite him being on record in 2007 that he would.
Ask your wife for some accounting classes too, and learn what Generally Accepted Accounting Principles are. The idea that you accuse me of not knowing basic business math while peddling this garbage as a legitimate form of cost analysis is really scraping the bottom of the bucket.
It may take years to compile the full picture of just how absurd it was to elect this clown president. It’s hard to say what is more staggering: the gall of Obama to ask for 4 more years to destroy our country, or the willful stupidity of those who would give it to him.
Last edited by txgp17; 09-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America
09-16-2012, 12:20 AM #117
Last edited by scfire86; 09-16-2012 at 03:40 PM.Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."
09-18-2012, 12:35 PM #118
Here you go moonbat.
The candidate conservatives are supporting believes folks like you are part of the 47% entitlement society mooching off the government.Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."
09-18-2012, 04:56 PM #119
- Join Date
- May 2001
- Greensboro, NC USA
Matthew “Mudcat” Arnold, or maybe you're giving them to him.
Romney didn't say that government employees are mooching. We (firefighters) provide X amount of services and in exchange for Y amount of compensation. Romney's talking about the 47% who expect X amount of services to be provided to them, and someone else should be required to pay for it. This shouldn't surprise anyone but collectivists who think everything should be left to central planners.
Under the willful incompetence of the Obama Regime, food stamp rolls are increasing faster than our labor force. Those who cannot break their dependent on others are not free.
Even the birth rate is out pacing job creation. Gee, I thought 2009 was supposed to be the "Recovery Summer."
The Democrat Party tried to drop all references to God from its platform. But it isn’t that Dems aren’t religious, they just worship a different god — namely the institutionalized coercion we call government: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLa9Te8Blw
“Government is the only thing we all belong to” stands in stark contrast to Clint Eastwood’s important reminder at the RNC that “We own this country. Politicians are employees of ours.”
How hilarious it is that Democrats deny the existence of voter fraud, but engage in it openly on the floor of their own convention.
BTW, the Teleprompter-reader-in-Chief believes in redistribution. And I'm not interpreting his words, or implying his intentions. This is verbatim from his lips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge3aGJfDSg4
09-18-2012, 05:40 PM #120
Keep supporting a group that has no problem taking your pay and benefits and blaming you for all the ills of America.
I give the GOP credit for convincing people like you to vote against your own self interest.Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By FF7679 in forum Volunteer ForumReplies: 17Last Post: 01-31-2010, 03:00 PM
By fyrmed in forum Career/Paid Firefighters ForumReplies: 4Last Post: 09-15-2009, 04:00 PM
By BCmdepas3280 in forum The Off Duty ForumsReplies: 3Last Post: 10-28-2004, 09:19 AM
By thoskin in forum Volunteer ForumReplies: 22Last Post: 08-05-2002, 10:29 AM
By HF&R_H28 in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 14Last Post: 06-21-2002, 10:47 PM