Forum Member

Default Pumping Apparatus: Driver Operator's Handbook

Our agency currently has a rescue/Ambulance rig. We will soon be getting a brush truck. I had minimal exposure to apparatus operations in the wildland academy. so I wanted to get a book and educate myself a bit, especially on the pump panels. One of the only books I could find was a Brady book, ( Pumping Apparatus: Driver Operator's Handbook ).
    Has anyone used this book, is it worth a purchase?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pumping-Appara.../dp/0879391669

Also, if I may ask, is the following book any good?

Fire Engineering's Handbook for Firefighter I and II: Glenn Corbett: Fire Engineering Books & Videos

Note to moderators: If this post should be in the probie section I apologize, thought since it was a apparatus question it might belong here.

Thanks
    Last edited by MichaelXYZ; 05-24-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Forum Member

Okay, maybe the books I mentioned are not well known, can I then ask, what books might you suggest?

Thanks
    Last edited by MichaelXYZ; 05-26-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Forum Member

Your first book listed, the IFSTA one, is what my department uses for all its pumping/driver training on our pumping apparatus. That'd the be the one I'd choose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike: The IFSTA is a good choice for a beginning. I personally prefer The Fire Service Pump Operator's Handbook by Isman and published by Fire Engineering. This text is from 1982, so it does not contain a lot of the newer equipment (example air operated primers) that are on the more modern equipment. Understanding the concepts presented is the most important thing. Introduction to Fire Pump Operations by Sturdevant (Delmar) is more hands-on push this, pull that and this happens, but it doesn't do a good job of laying the foundation for the physics. Fire Department Hydraulics by Mahoney and Hydraulics for Firemen by Theobald (NY Comm. College) are both very old texts and work their way into the physics in a rather convoluted way. For the sort of operation you are describing, I would recommend the three book series called "Rural Fireground Operations" by Larry Davis. This series is out of print, but book 2 has been a very valuable reference for me through the past 30 years or so. There are some PDF files laid out as SOP's by some excellent Fire Departments, and one or two of these printed out on your computer would be a good cheap reference to begin with. Of course, I would request a copy of the operators manual for the brush truck you are describing. Don't just read the book, but try different scenarios that you might be faced with.
    Working from the tank, Working from a drop tank & tanker shuttle, Working from a static source (stream or pond), and working from a pressure supply (hydrant or relay). Since you seem to be quite rural, then long stretches using small diameter or forestry hose are possible. You MUST understand the concept of friction loss and how those pressure losses are affected by length of lay, diameter of hose and rate of flow along with nozzle types and delivery rates. You also need to become familiar with class A foam and eductors. Lots to learn, and a tough way to learn with nobody there to help when stuff doesn't act the way you think it should. Good luck!

Forum Member

Thanks a bunch guys, good info. I think I will order 3 of the above mentioned books. I can get used on amazon.

Thanks

Forum Member

What does the State of California and or the Career FD's in your area use or teach their members??

That would be the one I would get and use. Also does the State of California certify FF's in that state in any training? Or who does the certifying there? Find out what they use.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Just an update, I ended up registering for a fire apparatus class at a community college (Has not started yet). I went ahead and bought the textbook. The book title is Fire apparatus operator Pumper by Sykes and Sturtvant. When I saw two chapters with math formulas I went yipes!

Our company ended up purchasing 3 type I 1990 pierce engines, but we wont have them for a few months.

I also registered for a 40 hour driver/operator course at the CC, but after I registered I learned that I have to have a basic skill sheet signed off prior to the class doing things like alley dock, 180 turn, park, etc. This is a big issue since our agency does not have any apparatus yet, so not sure what I can do at this point. I asked one of my friends at a volunteer dept. and he kinda laughed at me, so does not look good. Also discovered truck driving school is not an option at $3000.

Thread Information