Thread: Degree programs

Default Degree programs

Hey everyone,

I am currently enrolled at a community college studying Fire Science. I am 10 credits away from graduating, and I am currently evlauating options for a Bacholors's degree. One school, Mass. Maritime Academy, has a degree program in Emergency Management(also has a Master's degree componet), and John Jay College of Criminal Justice has a Fire Science program.

My question is, should I only concentrate on Fire and Emergency service's degree programs, or should I expand my knowledge, and look for programs in Economics, Political Science, Business, Juris Doctor,etc.

Thanks,
    Sean Hickey

Forum Member

Expand it! Think of a fire officer developing an incident action plan... what if...

Forum Member

depends on what you want to do in the future

if a chief, Economics, Political Science, Business, Juris Doctor

if in fire prevention --- fire engineering degree

if you just want a degree look at the NFA distance learning degree, all online, and if you attend NFA courses most of them count as a semester class!!!!

or look at some type of degree that will either give you a second job, or fallback job if you happen to leave the fire service

Thanks everyone!!! I passed the Massachussetts Entry Level Phyiscal Abilities Test (ELPAT) this week, so now I have to wait until November to get the rest of the results. Fingers crossed!!!

Forum Member

Do at current stage such fire courses are efficient do they have scope in the market?

find driving jobs

MembersZone Subscriber

There is many great options for degrees for firefighters. What you need to do is decide how far you want to go up the career ladder. Do you want to make it to the chief ranks. Many departments require bachelors or graduate degrees. Many want NFA Executive fire officer program. Accepted degrees include business, fire administration, public administration. Not sure getting a degree in economics or poli-sci is going to help.

One other thing to think about is how your degree will help you with future employment if for some reason you can no longer work in the fire service. A degree in Fire service administration isn't very helpful if you blow out your back and are medically retired from the fire department.

If you are looking at emergency management degrees, check out the Emergency Management Institute at FEMA website. They have a listing of all EM degrees on the country.
    Mike
    Fire Captain

Forum Member

Sean1289,

I am an academic advisor for Utah Valley Universitiy's Emergency Services Department. We have a 100% online emergency management degree that id offered for pretty cheap. I am happy to help if you are interested.

No matter what school you choose I wish you the best of luck!

Thread Information