MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional PPE Grant

My dept. and 3 others are thinking about a Regional PPE grant mainly for turnouts. How favorable does AFG look at this type of regional grant? Were mostly are looking to ask for turnouts for firefighters that presently have none and replacing old turnouts that are 20 or more yrs old.

MembersZone Subscriber

That bird will fly. Be sure none of you have previously won and AFG grant for turnout gear in the past, they will frown highly upon those seeking a second helping. BTW- I don't think I remember having you in either of the classes I have done in Ft Smith.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh thats not good. I got a PPE grant for my fire depts back in 2004 for 5 turn outs. we have since bought 2 more sets on our own. But we now have 5 new firefighters and with only a $8,000 per yr annual budget and a avg bank account of just $2,500 theres now way I can buy 5 complete new sets. SO even under those conditions AFG would still turn me down??

Forum Member

I guess I am kinda in the same boat; we recieved a grant for turnout gear in 2001 or 2002. It was the very first time the afg awarded grants and its not listed n the fema portal page when I started, The problem is that we have 30 guys on the department, 18 of those guys recieved gear on that grant. For 3013, this gear will be 11-12 years old, it is "torn and tattered". For the newer guys we have obtained come gear from a large dept that just replaced thiers with an afg grant. I guess my question is this. With half my guys using gear that is extremley beaten up and 10+ years old, and the other half using gear that has been replaced by an AFG grant already, what are the chances of getting awarded since we have already recieved a PPE grant long ago? Budget years just over $8000.00+ 2 fundraisers. Any help would be huge!

Thread Information