Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Backdraft...Gotta love that movie!!

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    This place absolutely cracks me up. I am constantly attacked for having a forceful opinionated way of telling people they are full of crap. So I figure what the F*** I will post a light hearted topic about one of MY favorite movies. So what happens? The self appointed forum Nazis jump on my a s s about how crappy the movie is.

Maybe you all need a coffee enema to loosen your tight A s s es up.

Have a nice day!
    Hey, keep your pants on! If I really had some deep, soulful problem with Backdraft, I wouldn't have compared it to Gillooly-palooza.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Hey, keep your pants on! If I really had some deep, soulful problem with Backdraft, I wouldn't have compared it to Gillooly-palooza.
    Oh my pants are on. This is the greater issue with FH.com and one I have been soundly chastised for by many here, people just wait to pounce on any topic they can. Regardless of whether it is this mindless topic about Backdraft, or one of LA's idiotic rantings.

Good Lord, if we can't just once in a while have a little fun here with something like a cult firefighting classic like Backdraft then this site is nothing more than the local diner with all the grouchy old men sitting there bitching about how blue the sky is because they can't think of anything else to bitch about.

No wonder this place is on many days a damn ghost town...
    Chenzo likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    With all due respect, Saving Private Ryan was kind of BS...The U.S. Army spent the majority of the day on the beach, not 5 minutes like in the movie, and the movie, based on the true story of the
    Sullivan brothers who died on a ship off of Guadalcanal, were in fact in the navy. And...the army would never waste a unit to go find someone, especially a ranger unit, while in the midst of a high profile conflict such as the Normandy invasions...with that being said, Saving Private Ryan is to war, what Backdraft is to firefighting..loosely based on the truth to provide for action/drama to please the viewer and make people money. Now, band of brothers, or the pacific....much better..the hollywood has yet to match something like that for the fire service.
    Actually, Saving Private Ryan is very loosely inspired on the story of the Niland Brothers from Tonawanda, NY and not the Sullivan's. The Sullivan's all served aboard the same ship and were lost when the U.S.S. Juno sank, there was nothing that could be done to save 1 of them. The Niland's were a group of 4 brothers serving in various military units in WWII. 2 of the brothers were KIA, one was serving in the Pacific theater, shot down and presumed dead. So the president made the order to return the believed to be sole remaining Niland back to the U.S. to finish his service. The remaining Niland wasn't in the field, so they just sent him home. There was no dramatic search or anything. They just told him he couldn't take part in Operation Market Garden.

Forum Member

Can you back that up? AND.....we all know that the rangers didn't land on Omaha beach, they climbed up the face of the cliff to take out the big guns Point De Hooke I believe.

Forum Member

Oh my pants are on. This is the greater issue with FH.com and one I have been soundly chastised for by many here, people just wait to pounce on any topic they can. Regardless of whether it is this mindless topic about Backdraft, or one of LA's idiotic rantings.

Good Lord, if we can't just once in a while have a little fun here with something like a cult firefighting classic like Backdraft then this site is nothing more than the local diner with all the grouchy old men sitting there bitching about how blue the sky is because they can't think of anything else to bitch about.

No wonder this place is on many days a damn ghost town...
    Hey bro, I'm sorry if I bothered you with my comment. I watched Backdraft when I was 10ish, to say that it was 1 of the leading reasons for my interest in the fire service would be correct. I've watched it probably 25 or 30 times either in its entirety or it bits and pieces. You and I know difference between real world, and Hollywood..I just get a bug up my butt when people try to compare any war movie to real life, I was in war, I know what its like and what they fail to show..esp. saving private ryan...numerous tactical mistakes, numerous factual mistakes, and above all, That pinko scum who was too afraid to pull a trigger and kill that German in the town..But it is what it is..no offense was intended, I have much respect for you and I appreciate reading your posts from day 1 that I've been on here..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Can you back that up? AND.....we all know that the rangers didn't land on Omaha beach, they climbed up the face of the cliff to take out the big guns Point De Hooke I believe.
    Can you back up that it is based on the Sullivan's brothers?

They're both movies. Movies are supposed to entertain not necessarily educate. They couldn't show more than 20m of the Army stuck on the beach because movie audiences aren't real keen on sitting through movies that last more than a couple of hours. The first troops hit the beach about 6:00a and didn't get to the bluff till about noon. Whose going to sit through six hours of that? And theater owners are less keen on showing movies of great length because it cuts into their profit business models. They make money the more tickets they sell. It was one of the reasons Stallone's movies were typically in the 90m range. That way he and the theaters could get at least one extra showing a day. Movie story lines (in case none of you noticed) must contain some type of conflict in order to hold the audiences attention.

I watched Backdraft, I thought it entertaining. Should they make a movie about what goes on in the fire service? The incredible number of calls that are not more than "I've fallen and can't get up?" Or maybe they can show us doing something riveting like a fire inspection and then for additional flavor they can show us filling out the paperwork to return to the bureau.

Movies have one specific purpose. To make money for their investors. If one is looking for realism on the silver screen you're going to endure a great deal of disappointment.
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Back on topic, another one I liked....

Truck 46 lieutenant (after stepping on Brian at the garment factory fire):
    "Sorry, kid, I thought you were dead!"
    FFMedic31 likes this.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I think the problem is most guys I know hate that movie.... Hollywood's problem is they think a FF's life is a drama when its mostly a comedy.

Now if Quintin Tarrentino was to make one, we'd have a winner . Sometimes i think The scirpt from Reservoir Dogs was taken from our kitchen table.....

So much for trying to have a light, somewhat comedic, topic.

This place is ****ing doomed.
    Maybe it's not too late

I don't remember that quote in the movie? lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I don't remember that quote in the movie? lol
    I think it was edited out of the final cut.

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    They're both movies. Movies are supposed to entertain not necessarily educate.

If one is looking for realism on the silver screen you're going to endure a great deal of disappointment.
    Oh so very true.

This sums it up totally. Nuff said.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Hey, my quote was from the movie. I was in here doin' it Fyred, you don't know what I did! You weren't there!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    The Sullivan's all served aboard the same ship and were lost when the U.S.S. Juno sank, there was nothing that could be done to save 1 of them.
    Actually, three of the Sullivan brothers died during the November 13th Night Battle of Guadalcanal, from shell fire from both Japanese and American shells. Juneau was hit several times, by mainly Japanese shells but there are indications that American naval fire hit it as well (along with several other ships). As the Juneau joined the rest of the remains of the Task Force and limped home towards safety she was hit and rapidly sunk by a torpedo. The commanding officer of the USS Portland decided at the time with a lack of sonar capability (only two destroyers remained afloat) and the tremendous explosion, to continue on with the rest of the Task Force in radio silence. Over 300 sailors survived the sinking of the Juneau, including at least one of the Sullivan brothers, George the oldest.

What played out in the next 10 days was a dark spot that still remains largely hidden in the annuals of the US Navy. If crew size is considered and factored in, roughly the same amount of men from the Juneau hit the water as the USS Indianapolis in 1945. Less than 100 men survived the sinking of the Juneau. They were left adrift in the South Pacific. The last known sighting of George Sullivan was around the 5th or 6th day in the water if I remember correctly. He began to hallucinate and see his brothers and the ship. Other survivors pleaded with him to remain with the group and hang on, but he started to get violent. He called out for his youngest brother and began to swam into the Pacific never to be seen again.

In short, there was a lot the Navy could have done to save those men. Many more men survived the sinking of the Indy so it was harder for the Navy to "cover up". The lack of survivors has doomed the gallant crew of the Juneau into the realm of the forgotten.

As for the quote? "I think it appropriate that we recognize the two asswipes... Probationary Firemen... among us today who were officially baptized into the world of Old Man Fire. First, to Tim. Despite the fact that he has a rather dull expression, and a really hideous pair of ears; he not only took on the beast but pulled from its clutches, assisted by a more famous and brilliant firefighter, me, a kicking and screaming civilian who will probably wind up suing us for breaking her fingernails"
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Sorry for bursting your bubble, I just absolutely hate that movie. Now if you had brought up Johnny and Roy, THAT'S another matter entirely, 'cause that S#!t was REAL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Sorry for bursting your bubble, I just absolutely hate that movie. Now if you had brought up Johnny and Roy, THAT'S another matter entirely, 'cause that S#!t was REAL!!!
    Well, good for you that you hate the movie. I didn't ask for movie critics. I posted a light hearted topic about a favorite movie of mine. Then I asked for favorite quotes from it.

I know it is Hollywood. I know it isn't real. I don't care anymore than I care when I am watching one of the Dirty Harry movies, or one of the Die Hard movies, or any war movie. It is entertainment, pure and simple.

I might as well go back to being a bad attitude crumudgeon...

To be honest I don't spend near as much time here as I used to...there is little knowledge being passed on, damn little Brotherhood, and mostly snipers looking to pounce on anything posted. Sad really, this place used to have so much to offer...
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I guess I know why firemen become firemen and not cops. They all whine too much about the accuracy of movies, they could never deal with all the cop tv shows and movies.

Well, good for you that you hate the movie. I didn't ask for movie critics. I posted a light hearted topic about a favorite movie of mine. Then I asked for favorite quotes from it. Then perhaps in the future, you might want to give us some advanced directives about what kind of answers you want on a public opinion forum.

I might as well go back to being a bad attitude crumudgeon...Back to? You were taking a break from it? You have a bad attitude, coupled with really thin skin. If someone dare challenge your opinion, you become this internet tough guy. Please, you take this place, and yourself much too seriously.

To be honest I don't spend near as much time here as I used to...there is little knowledge being passed on, damn little Brotherhood, and mostly snipers looking to pounce on anything posted. Sad really, this place used to have so much to offer...You totally just described yourself as it relates to this site. This place did have a lot to offer until guys like you would log on and belittle a brand new guy on what might have been his first forum post ever. To some, that kind of embarassment is enough to stop them from posting ever again. You have a lot to learn about Brotherhood treating complete strangers on here the way you do.
    So you got sniped on one of your threads, big deal. You asked for input, don't lay parameters on what people can reply with. If you want to buff that film, then by all means, buff it.
    You say this place is doomed? I've said that a time or two myself. The only difference is that my reasoning is probably closer to the truth than yours.
    Get over yourself...

p.s. When you reply to this, spare me the three paragraph resume' detailing your life's work, I'm not impressed. But do include how much you couldn't "care less" about what I or anybody else thinks. I like it when you put up two pages about something you don't care about.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.
    IAFF

Originally Posted by FyredUp

Well, good for you that you hate the movie. I didn't ask for movie critics. I posted a light hearted topic about a favorite movie of mine. Then I asked for favorite quotes from it. Then perhaps in the future, you might want to give us some advanced directives about what kind of answers you want on a public opinion forum.

Really? I guess I wasn't OBVIOUS enough when I said POST YOUR FAVORITE QUOTE. I would think that wouldn't cpnfuse anyone, even you.

I might as well go back to being a bad attitude crumudgeon...Back to? You were taking a break from it? You have a bad attitude, coupled with really thin skin. If someone dare challenge your opinion, you become this internet tough guy. Please, you take this place, and yourself much too seriously.

And I have been admonished for it. I even apologized to junior22. I tried to start a light hearted post and it become you playing moderator and scolding parent. Sorry, not interested.

To be honest I don't spend near as much time here as I used to...there is little knowledge being passed on, damn little Brotherhood, and mostly snipers looking to pounce on anything posted. Sad really, this place used to have so much to offer...You totally just described yourself as it relates to this site. This place did have a lot to offer until guys like you would log on and belittle a brand new guy on what might have been his first forum post ever. To some, that kind of embarassment is enough to stop them from posting ever again. You have a lot to learn about Brotherhood treating complete strangers on here the way you do.

I have done that, I admit it. But I have also come on here and said "Whoa, give the new guy a chance" when I felt others were unjustly pounding on someone. Looking at some others on this site I use kid gloves on many that others rip to shreds.

I don't need lessons from the likes of you on Brotherhood. I fully understand Brotherhood and it doesn't come from the posts on the internet. I would wager a year's salary that anyone that actually knows me would defend me against your charge. But believe what you want, it really am not affected by your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    So you got sniped on one of your threads, big deal. You asked for input, don't lay parameters on what people can reply with. If you want to buff that film, then by all means, buff it.

Thank you for your wonderful input.

You say this place is doomed? I've said that a time or two myself. The only difference is that my reasoning is probably closer to the truth than yours.

Yes, oh omnipotent and wise one.

Get over yourself...

Right after you...

p.s. When you reply to this, spare me the three paragraph resume' detailing your life's work, I'm not impressed. But do include how much you couldn't "care less" about what I or anybody else thinks. I like it when you put up two pages about something you don't care about.

I don't care to, or need to, impress you with anything. Frankly, when you post something here other than wise cracks, and sniping yourself then I will take what you think of me seriously.

Congratulations on your self appointed position of moderator. I am sure you will do a fine job.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 06-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information