Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Feedback on graduate programs

Colleagues:

I am looking for feedback from any of you who have or are currently attending any grad school and working or aspiring for a career in the fire service. So far I have received great feedback from the University of Southern California and their public administration program (MPA). Oklahoma State University to my knowledge has an excellent program that mixes research in the fire service and public administration.

If anyone could provide experiences with Grand Canyon University, University of Oklahoma (MPA), CalState Long Beach, or any other, I would be enormously appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Greetings,
    I completed a Masters in Public Policy from Cal State Long Beach. It was through the Center for Public Policy. I highly recommend the program. Whichever program you choose, I would recommend a known college. I believe a degree from a prominent school holds more value than one from a lesser name school. PM me if you have any questions.

Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfireofficers.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

I'm in the process of deciding which school to go with for an online MPA as well. So far I'm down to Anna Maria College and Troy University. There are many great sounding programs out there, but most seem out of my price range for out of pocket expense.... Still looking though if anyone knows any other reasonable options. CalState's program looked cool, so I emailed them, and apparently there are live meetings on campus for parts of the program, so that won't work. Arkansas State's program looked really good, except they have restrictions on students from certain states being able to apply, so as of now, they're out.

edit 8/17 - Now I've added Marist College to the list... anyone??
    Last edited by 53fireman; 08-17-2012 at 04:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

Columbia Southern has an MPA program that will cost all of about $10,000. Of course they're nationally accredited versus regionally, so that could be a factor depending on what you want to do with it. If it's just a terminal degree it may be fine. Coincidentally, I engaged our HR director in a conversation about the NA vs RA debate a short time ago. We had recently hired a new city administrator where the job description required a minimum of an MPA. I asked her if they would have accepted a candidate with an MPA from a nationally accredited school. She just rolled her eyes and said she and most of her colleagues don't care about stuff like that, so long as it's accredited. I'm normally a guy who encourages people to go the RA route (like I did), but that's potentially good information for some people who may be trying to make a choice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just found American University has a masters degree for about $11,000 (in theory) I'm going to follow up on them when they open this morning. Anyone know anything about that program?

Forum Member

Might also check grand canyon

Heard good things

MembersZone Subscriber Chief_Roy's Avatar

I've had two friends go the Grand Canyon route. One loved it, the other thought it was nothing more than a money grab and that he got little support or help when he needed it. The good thing about GC is that they're regionally accredited, but with that comes the RA price tag... about $25,000 for a Masters last time I checked.

Forum Member

Quite a few regionally accredited online MPAs out there under $20k... Marist, Troy, Anna Maria, Valdosta, University of North Dakota, Arkansas State, & many more... think l will be doing Marist come the spring

Forum Member

Also Efo program through national fire academy

Almost free!!!!!

Forum Member

read and heed, I know it talks about gi bill, but it is your money you are investing, no matter where it comes from, and make sure the college hours will transfer to a real college:::

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/09...-millions.html

Forum Member

Many thanks to all of you for posting.

EFO is eventually my goal, but my actual rank doesn't qualify me for application. My current dept recognizes both NA and RA, however I am going for RA because of the recognition, plus I am planning on applying with Los Angeles city, and they do not recognize NA for incentive and promotional purposes.

Regards gentlemen.

Thread Information