Thread: Questions

Forum Member

Default Questions

Well, I want to maybe join the Army and be in the national guard. But, I also want to be a volunteer firefighter. Can you do both? Or is it too much to do?
    Also, do you get enough money in the guard that you can have a job as a cashier or something and still get along OK?

Or, should I completely disregard that idea and do ROTC, get a good paying job, and then become a firefighter? The only thing is that I don't want to go active for four years?

Forum Member

All depends on what you can handle. I know people that are in the National Guard, volunteer firefighter and have 2 part time jobs. Every person is different.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chilaha View Post
    Well, I want to maybe join the Army and be in the national guard. But, I also want to be a volunteer firefighter. Can you do both? Or is it too much to do?
    Also, do you get enough money in the guard that you can have a job as a cashier or something and still get along OK?

Or, should I completely disregard that idea and do ROTC, get a good paying job, and then become a firefighter? The only thing is that I don't want to go active for four years?
    My asst. Chief works full time as a 911 dispatcher, is in the Natl. Guard and still makes a decent amount of calls/drills..more then most actually.

Forum Member

Sounds like you should decide on one or the other

Suggest you concentrate on becoming a paid firefighter

How old are you???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post

How old are you???
    Paid FF is an awesome dream to work towards but with the cost of gas, travel, taking time off work/school added to the fact that basically for every 1 spot there is 100 or more people testing for..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chilaha View Post

You CAN do both. I was in the Guard, on a POC dept, and a fulltime dept. A word of advice, join the AIR GUARD, not Army. You'll be treated better, and have better equipment to work with. You may be able to fine a unit that has a firefighting unit.
    Do you have a VFD that will accept and train you? If you are considered an "employee", Federal and most state laws require an employer not penalize you for membership in the Armed Forces Reserves. They HAVE to let you attend any drills or mandatory training.
    Do your homework first, talk to recruiters and see what your options are, your ABSVAB (sp?) test score will determine what jobs you can qualify for in the military. GET A GUARANTEE before you sign an enlistment contract. If you become a military medic, you get your National Registry EMT-B certification. (All branches go to the same school I belive)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post

How old are you???
    Did you even read the 2 other reply's?
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

I live near a major Army installation and many of the surrounding volunteer fire departments have military as members (as witnesses by the "not from around here" accents often heard on the radio...). The biggest challenge they encounter here is deployments, which all too often come at an inopportune time with regard to attending longer training courses (like FF1).

Military service (and I'll recommend USAF as well) can provide a decent foundation for the rest of your life, including education and dealing with people. Much better than flipping burgers for minimum wage.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    Did you even read the 2 other reply's?

Yea........

Thread Information