Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Truly a legend in your own mind....
    One of a breed.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Never said that I alone was the reason.

However, before I did assume the responsibility for managing and expanding the program in both situations prevention programs were limited and uncoordinated, and generally only done at the request of the customer.

And in both situations the command staff has credited me for directing and developing coordinated programs that reached out to the community to develop an on-going yearly program.

That being said, yes, I am very good at my job.
    I feel bad that I dumped all that old lead based paint in the creek a few years back, it must have run WAY downstream and ended up in Bossier parishes drinking water.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I feel bad that I dumped all that old lead based paint in the creek a few years back, it must have run WAY downstream and ended up in Bossier parishes drinking water.
    It all makes sense now.

Wow all of this because a kid was getting a silly pager! He needs a pager like we all need another head!

I am surprised that this thread ahs lasted this long before being locked for being useless.

Junior 22 use your time more wisely and study the books so you can graduate some day. Leave this buisness to the older members. When I was 14 I had girls on my mind!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 06-11-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Wow all of this because a kid was getting a silly pager! He needs a pager like we all need another head!

I am surprised that this thread ahs lasted this long before being locked for being useless.

Junior 22 use your time more wisely and study the books so you can graduate some day. Leave this buisness to the older members. When I was 14 I had girls on my mind!
    I'm sure he does as well. And is counting on a pager being able to show girls that he is important. I think both parties are in for a disappointment.

And I agree that he should concentrate on his grades. When I left my old job over 2/3rds of our academy had college degrees with many being at the graduate level. In addition to having life experience in little groups like the Army Rangers or Navy SEALS, or working in the private sector in any number of professions.

Forum Member

Junior ...

Hit the books and be involved in the fire department.

Perform the tasks that your department allows you to perform.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    After looking over this thread, I'm pretty sure "junior" isn't a "he" at all, but a confused young lady. The hysterics give her away in almost every post.

BTW...she's still more of a man than LaFireMiseducator. I mean, seriously; this is the guy who would let a child burn to death in a vehicle fire without lifting a finger to help. You really think he would think twice about sending children into a burning house while he stood at a safe distance?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Yeah...and mixed with all the lead paint already down there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    After looking over this thread, I'm pretty sure "junior" isn't a "he" at all, but a confused young lady. The hysterics give her away in almost every post.

BTW...she's still more of a man than LaFireMiseducator. I mean, seriously; this is the guy who would let a child burn to death in a vehicle fire without lifting a finger to help. You really think he would think twice about sending children into a burning house while he stood at a safe distance?
    And where exactly did I state that juniors should be making interior attacks on burning structures?

And where exactly did I state that juniors should be making interior attacks on burning structures?
    Boy, nothing gets by you, does it?

In other words...

"You are spot on with your assumption I would leave the burning child in the car. The other part, well I will need you to provide more evidence to me that I suck."
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=GTRider245;1331089]In other words...

Doesn't really matter what I would do in that situation.

[QUOTE=LaFireEducator;1331101]
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    In other words...

It does if the victim is depending on you to perform a rescue...
    scfire86, BULL321 and ATFDFF like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

[QUOTE=LaFireEducator;1331101]
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    In other words...

I have asked you this before and will ask you again...WHY are you in the firefighting career? You feel no obligation as a human being, let alone a firefighter, to risk your own safety to save anyone, including your own family.
    scfire86, BULL321 and Chenzo like this.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

[QUOTE=DeputyChiefGonzo;1331105]

It does if the victim is depending on you to perform a rescue...
    If I'm off-duty or out of my district the victim shouldn't be depending on me, or any other off-duty personnel.

What if I had been coming back from a praty and maybe had a couple of drinks? Not drunk at all but just a tad impaired. Still obligated to act in your mind? Or maybe bummed a shoulder a little bit the day before. Still obligated?

The fact is when somebody is off-duty, they are just that. If they choose to act, that's fine, but there is no obligation to act and likely they wiill have to personally deal with the concequences.

Again, sad to say but the victim got him/herself into the situation. Off-duty or out-of-district members are not responders. They are just plain folks who have a choice.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FyredUp;1331111]

I have asked you this before and will ask you again...WHY are you in the firefighting career? You feel no obligation as a human being, let alone a firefighter, to risk your own safety to save anyone, including your own family.
    I feel an obligation to do something but not an obligation to die or become seriously injured doing it. We do not owe that to the public. We owe them are best shot with the resources and training we possess, but us walking away from the incident.

The public has no right to expect that we will attempt a rescue on-duty without adequate resources or training. If I'm not trained in water rescue and not equipped for water rescue, it's not fair for the public to expect me to go into the water, as an example. I'll do what I can from shore with the resources on the truck to attempt a rescue, but no firefighter should be expected to go in-water, again as an example, unless they have been trained and equipped to do so. Same with confined space, technical rescue, collapse rescue, cave rescue or any other situation, including rescue from a fire when the resources just aren't there. Yes, I want to do what I can but my primary responsibility is to my family to come home after every single shift or call.

That's especially true when operating off-duty without PPE and resources. Sorry, but they got themsleves into the situation and it's not my responsbility to jeapordize my responsibility to my family to get them out of it. I'll do what I can as I have many, many times in the past, but at the end of the day, I am walking away. Call that cowardice. Call that selfish. Call that not in the traditions of the fire service but my family does come first.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.

I don't even know how to start this post so the hell with it, I'll jump right in.

LAFE is a spineless coward who won't lift a finger to help anyone, on or off duty, because he might break a nail, and he is such a selfish **** that the only person that matters is himself.

Junior22 is a fracking nutjob, who already thinks WAYYY too much of him/herself, and will not make it in the fire service due to his/her p iss poor attitude towards everyone.

Carry on. I expect a response from LAFE about how he doesn't believe in the need to save someone off duty. I also seem to remember a response where LAFE wasn't going to make any sort of interior attack if there weren't garbage cans at the house, or a vehicle in the driveway. Because GOD FORBID a child is home alone, or the car is parked in the garage.

What a freaking joke. This whole topic is a freaking joke.
    RyanK63 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair. YOU ARE A MUTT!!!

If I'm off-duty or out of my district the victim shouldn't be depending on me, or any other off-duty personnel.

What if I had been coming back from a praty and maybe had a couple of drinks? Not drunk at all but just a tad impaired. Still obligated to act in your mind? Or maybe bummed a shoulder a little bit the day before. Still obligated?

The fact is when somebody is off-duty, they are just that. If they choose to act, that's fine, but there is no obligation to act and likely they wiill have to personally deal with the concequences.

Again, sad to say but the victim got him/herself into the situation. Off-duty or out-of-district members are not responders. They are just plain folks who have a choice.

I feel an obligation to do something but not an obligation to die or become seriously injured doing it. We do not owe that to the public. We owe them are best shot with the resources and training we possess, but us walking away from the incident.

The public has no right to expect that we will attempt a rescue on-duty without adequate resources or training. If I'm not trained in water rescue and not equipped for water rescue, it's not fair for the public to expect me to go into the water, as an example. I'll do what I can from shore with the resources on the truck to attempt a rescue, but no firefighter should be expected to go in-water, again as an example, unless they have been trained and equipped to do so. Same with confined space, technical rescue, collapse rescue, cave rescue or any other situation, including rescue from a fire when the resources just aren't there. Yes, I want to do what I can but my primary responsibility is to my family to come home after every single shift or call.

That's especially true when operating off-duty without PPE and resources. Sorry, but they got themsleves into the situation and it's not my responsbility to jeapordize my responsibility to my family to get them out of it. I'll do what I can as I have many, many times in the past, but at the end of the day, I am walking away. Call that cowardice. Call that selfish. Call that not in the traditions of the fire service but my family does come first.
    Two of the finest pieces of bovine scatology I've ever read. I'm happy you weren't on my crew. We'd have sent you home with the just pumped the neighbor's cat look on your face.
    Jasper 45, BULL321, Chenzo and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I don't even know how to start this post so the hell with it, I'll jump right in.

LAFE is a spineless coward who won't lift a finger to help anyone, on or off duty, because he might break a nail, and he is such a selfish **** that the only person that matters is himself.

Junior22 is a fracking nutjob, who already thinks WAYYY too much of him/herself, and will not make it in the fire service due to his/her p iss poor attitude towards everyone.

Carry on. I expect a response from LAFE about how he doesn't believe in the need to save someone off duty. I also seem to remember a response where LAFE wasn't going to make any sort of interior attack if there weren't garbage cans at the house, or a vehicle in the driveway. Because GOD FORBID a child is home alone, or the car is parked in the garage.

What a freaking joke. This whole topic is a freaking joke.

Yup. You're right.

Have a great night.

Thread Information