Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    All of this because a 14 year old said they were getting a pager.

Hey, I am getting a prostate exam!
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Hey, I am getting a prostate exam!
    Word of advise --RELAX -first one I had --- I almost broke the docs finger.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Word of advise --RELAX -first one I had --- I almost broke the docs finger.

Advice taken

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm going to fart! No sir, you think you are going to fart. No Doc, I'm really going to fart! No sir you just think you're going to pass gas. Hey Doc, Does it smell like I thought that I was going to fart?
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    I'm going to fart! No sir, you think you are going to fart. No Doc, I'm really going to fart! No sir you just think you're going to pass gas. Hey Doc, Does it smell like I thought that I was going to fart?
    This really is kinda a Twilight Zone incident thread. This thread was started by some kid getting a pager but can't respond when it drops tones and somehow morphed into an Bull's rectal exam issues.

Bullman I come to think of you as family I never wanted so I'll try to be kind. The reason the doctor closes the door when he comes in the exam room isn't for your privacy, its an act of humanity so we don't have to watch.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    This really is kinda a Twilight Zone incident thread. This thread was started by some kid getting a pager but can't respond when it drops tones and somehow morphed into an Bull's rectal exam issues.

Bullman I come to think of you as family I never wanted so I'll try to be kind. The reason the doctor closes the door when he comes in the exam room isn't for your privacy, its an act of humanity so we don't have to watch.
    I will wrench it back on topic, do you wear your pager during the exam?

Forum Member

I can be blamed for a lot of things, but this diversion into rectal exams damn sure ain't MY fault.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I can be blamed for a lot of things, but this diversion into rectal exams damn sure ain't MY fault.
    Not reallly.. the vast majority of posters here think your head is up your (fill in the blank)....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Not reallly.. the vast majority of posters here think your head is up your (fill in the blank)....
    That's pretty damn funny. Sadly, it's true. What's scary is if there are others out there like LA.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

actually it is your fault, as you being an azzhole and rectal exams correlate with one another......
    Chenzo likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

If you knew the whole story A.S.S.H.O.L.E, I get your point 100%, that we can agree on the same thing. I don't live in the city, So my parents drive me to the station, not to the call, I DO NOT RIDE MY BIKE THERE!

Forum Member

Do your parents know you talk to your elders like that?
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    Do your parents know you talk to your elders like that?
    Of course. We all say, "I'm getting sick of old people!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    Of course. We all say, "I'm getting sick of old people!"
    well maybe you ought to tell your mamma to change your diet.
    ?

I am going to chime in here on the original topic at hand.

We don't even give probies pagers until their 90 days are up. They get gear and if we need them we call them on the phone.

Juniors get nothing. no pager, no gear, nothing issued. When they come for training, they grab out of the pile. Since none of them are 1403, then they are not doing live burn training anyway. Juniors are not allowed to respond to calls, even if they happen to have a scanner or family member that is a member. They have no place on a fire scene. In our department, you must be 16-18 to be a junior member. So you being 14/15, are lucky.

Now as for your question. I prefer the M5. it is not much bigger then the M4 and has a better battery. I think the better pager should be left for the other members.

This was the first pager I was issued many years ago.

I was later lucky enough to get a M3. I do miss the earphone jack.

Now have a M5. as back up for when my radio dies, or if I don't feel like wearing it.
    Last edited by KennyTheFireGuy; 11-05-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Yes, I am OK with a trained 16-year old being a backup position (not the nozzle) under the supervision of senior personnel on a fully involved car fire. And I have no issues with him/her being switched out and on the nozzle for overhaul.
    What I just read from your comment is "Yes, I am ok with a child to be preforming these task as long as there is a baby sitter there to watch them."

That "babysitter" needs to be helping the adults save lives. That child needs to be at home or school.

I read the PDF Junior posted about the depts rules. We NEVER allow Junior members to leave school. and if you are still in high school, even if you are 18 years old you are a junior and DO NOT LEAVE SCHOOL for any reason. But this goes back to juniors do NOT get pagers or gear. It also goes back to juniors do NOT respond to fire calls.

So for example. If you are 17 or younger, you do not respond to calls because you are a junior. If you are 18, you are no longer a junior, unless you are still in high school.

I wanted to say to certain person(s) in this thread. A firefighter is never off duty. You take this job 24-7-365 paid or not paid. So to make climes such as
    "yes, when I'm not on-duty and not operating as a volunteer in either of my districts, and not eligable for workman's compensation coverage for medical bills and lost wages,..."

makes you not a firefighter in my book. You are a t-shirt hero. Only do it when it is in the best interest for you.

Small example. A week ago I was coming home from out of town. A guy was driving like an idiot, passed a lady in a no passing zone, then did several "break checks" until he locked his brakes and she hit him. I was directly behind them. I pulled off, turned on my 4-way flashers, called 911, got my safety vest out of the gear bag in the trunk and started to check the drivers. I informed dispatch of their condition and preceded to direct traffic. Now here is the clincher. 1) I was "off duty" as I had informed our chief I was going to be out of town that day. 2) I was not only out of my district, I was out of my state. Did that mean I wasn't a firefighter and should not be concerned with human injury? No. I am ALWAYS a firefighter. The state patrol was thankful for me being there. Shook my hand and took my statement. I stayed for an hour and a half directing traffic for them.

Someone posted in here before something I liked. I am not a volunteer firefighter. I am a firefighter volunteer.

Just out of curiousity, what would you suggest that members who take your advice and act out of district do to pay the medical expenses not covered by personal insurance, assuming they have it, if they get hurt while performing as such? What you suggest they do to pay the bills if they run out of vacation or sick time at thier place of employment, or worse, have no vacation time to take?
    Just out of curiousity, what would you suggest that the families of the people you are not helping do when their loved one dies and they find out you could have helped? Or better yet, what do you suggest that your conscious do...oh never mind.

Are you for real? Seriously. Is this a game or a joke? I can't imagine anyone joining the emergency service profession and think the way you do. Wonder how you would feel if you had to be taken to the ER and the doctor said "Aw heck, I just went off duty. Just leave that steel bar in his chest till the other doctor gets here." Or how about you are on a plane and having an heart attack and there is a doctor on board, but, shucks, he's out of his district.

Now I see why Junior has taken to you so well, with your attitude o fnot wanting to work off duty, and his attitude of,

Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    LETS ALL HOPE THE NEXT FIRE YOU GO IN, YOU DONT COME OUT!... YOU DONT DESERVE TO LIVE ANOTHER SECOND, YOU DONT DESERVE TO BREATH ONE LAST TIME!
    you both would make an awesome team in a fire house...

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I would be missed way to much.
    By who, your cheering squad? I doubt the people that are tryign to work would miss you being in their way.

Yup.
    It's a good thing you understand that injuring a volunteer has the potential to cost him, and more importantly his family, a lot of money, especially if he is injured operating out of his district where his department's medical insurance and workman's comp policy would likely not apply.
    It's a good thing you understand that it is all part of the job that you signed up for. You are a firefighter FIRST. Everything else comes 2nd.

Oh BTW. Does your personal health insurance know you are a firefighter? Aside for the high rates, They WOULD IN FACT cover your medical needs if you were injured. Unless you have crappy coverage.

It is late and I made it to page 12 out of 18. I can't read any more. It's killing me.
    Last edited by KennyTheFireGuy; 11-05-2012 at 04:56 AM.

Forum Member

Can this thread be locked to please?
    Lewiston2FF, Chenzo and Miller337 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireInTheShire View Post
    Can this thread be locked to please?
    I second that motion.
    Also how is someone who has been banned posting?

Forum Member

I second that motion.
    Also how is someone who has been banned posting?
    good question lol just noticed that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireInTheShire View Post
    good question lol just noticed that
    Yet another consequence of political correctness, no one is ever really BANNED, that wouldn't be "NICE".

Forum Member

Both he and his buddy was banned this morning. Look at the time stamp on his last post.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Both he and his buddy was banned this morning. Look at the time stamp on his last post.
    What was Kenny's infraction? Could it possibly have been that both he and Junior shared an IP address?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What was Kenny's infraction? Could it possibly have been that both he and Junior shared an IP address?

His language
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information