Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

Forum Member

If someone has been banned, should they be responded to??
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The volunteers that always shout I am on duty 24/7/365 are delusional at best. NO ONE is on duty 24/7/365. Ever had a few beers? Then you best not respond, hence off duty. Out of town, out of stat, out of the country? Then you are NOT on duty, you may act at an incident within the scope of your training, but you are most assuredly NOT on duty.

Further add to that those 24/7/365 vollies that simply don't respod sometimes for whatever reason...you know the big game is on, family is over for a get together, the hubby and wife are bowling, or the call just doesn't sound cool enough. So if you are claiming being on duty 24/7/365 and you don't respond is that a cause for legal action because of a breach to perform? You see that is how ridiculous it gets.
    Chenzo and BigGriffC12 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireInTheShire View Post
    Can this thread be locked to please?
    Locked, stake through the heart, silver bullet, SOMETHING........LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    You forgot the garlic.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    If someone has been banned, should they be responded to??

Why would you? They won't be able to respond back. They are history, unless they crawl back in under a new name.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I was wondering how long it would take to ban the little twerp.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take to ban the little twerp.
    AAWWW. Thats very sweet of you to care so much but, they didn't ban me,they kicked Kenntheyardbreather off.
    Last edited by Miller337; 11-06-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: forgot my smilie

Forum Member

1986 called. It wants its pager back.
    rm1524 likes this.
    DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Forum Member

Junior 22 was the little twerp.
    KennyTheFireGuy likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Not sure why I received a week suspension. Guess my PM to FyredUp went overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    AAWWW. Thats very sweet of you to care so much but, they didn't ban me,they kicked Kenntheyardbreather off.
    Son, you need to grow up and learn some respect. That reply makes you no better then the little twerp.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What was Kenny's infraction? Could it possibly have been that both he and Junior shared an IP address?
    That would be impossible since he is in PA and I am no where near there.

Hate to re-bump this dying thread, but it has been a week since I could answer.

Carry on.
    Last edited by KennyTheFireGuy; 11-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The volunteers that always shout I am on duty 24/7/365 are delusional at best. NO ONE is on duty 24/7/365. Ever had a few beers? Then you best not respond, hence off duty.
    Nope. I do not drink.

Out of town, out of stat, out of the country?
    Nope. Never go more then the next town over which is still within 15 mins of the station and not considered "out of town".

Further add to that those 24/7/365 vollies that simply don't respod sometimes for whatever reason...you know the big game is on,
    I don't do sports, but if I did, or some movie is on or whatever. When tones drop, I am out the door.

family is over for a get together,the hubby and wife are bowling,
    Responding to a call is more important.

or the call just doesn't sound cool enough.
    Then you are not a firefighter. You are a yard breather.

So if you are claiming being on duty 24/7/365 and you don't respond is that a cause for legal action because of a breach to perform?
    Yes. You signed on to do a job. If you don't want to do that job, then quit. This is why so many areas with volly departments have problems. You respond but you never know if you will have 3 people or 30 people.

You see that is how ridiculous it gets.
    Yes, it is very ridiculous. Ridiculous that volunteer firefighters do not consider themselves on duty 24/7/365. Nothing has ever stopped me from responding to a call other then surgery. That was the only time I was "off duty". Even when my children were being born, I told the chief I might me a little later responding due to being out of the call area and being in hospital garb, but I would be there. Thankfully no calls during both births.

It all goes back to are you Just a firefighter who happens to be a volunteer?

Carry on.

Forum Member

quit picking on kenny --------YOU B@stards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    quit picking on kenny --------YOU B@stards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    O_o No one is picking on anyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyTheFireGuy View Post
    Nothing has ever stopped me from responding to a call other then surgery. That was the only time I was "off duty".
    Oh, so you HAVE been off duty. You are pathetic.

Even when my children were being born, I told the chief I might me a little later responding due to being out of the call area and being in hospital garb, but I would be there. Thankfully no calls during both births.

Nothing goes hand-in-hand with immaturity like a little bit of irresponsibility.
    Wow. I have seen some strange guys in my 20+ years but this one methinks takes the cake.......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Oh, so you HAVE been off duty. You are pathetic.
    Just like anyone else that has surgery you retard. 2 Surgeries in all these years. That's a hell of a lot of days on duty.

Nothing goes hand-in-hand with immaturity like a little bit of irresponsibility.
    I am responsible for my job. I am a firefighter FIRST. My wife knew my position when she married me.

Wow. I have seen some strange guys in my 20+ years but this one methinks takes the cake.......
    Strange? Because I take pride on my job? Because I take my job seriously? Because I don't do it just to look cool and to get a neat-o pager and a cool hat? Then so be it. I am a firefighter. If I don't show up to do my job, then that is one less helpful hand.

Forum Member

Nope. I do not drink.

Then you are among a very few fire fighters I have known.

Nope. Never go more then the next town over which is still within 15 mins of the station and not considered "out of town".

Then I feel sorry for you in this regard. There is a big, beautiful country out there and staying within 15 minutes of home your whole life so you don't miss any fire calls on a volunteer fire department is really quite sad. I think you may look back at your so called "Dedication" and wish you had realized that you going out of town for a few days won't cause the entire fire department to collapse.

I don't do sports, but if I did, or some movie is on or whatever. When tones drop, I am out the door.

Good for you, again not everyone feels or thinks the same way as you.

My family understands that being a firefighter and doing my duty is important to me, and if I am available I will go. Having said that, no fire department, or its members, is more important to me than my family. You may want to rethink this statement of yours.

And yet I would be you have guys that don't show up for the middle of the night fire alarm call, or wires down due to a storm, or an ems lift assist. They may be a great firefighter but they prioritize calls. I am not saying it is right, I am saying it is a stone cold fact and you know it.

Yes. You signed on to do a job. If you don't want to do that job, then quit. This is why so many areas with volly departments have problems. You respond but you never know if you will have 3 people or 30 people.

Nonsense, any volunteer fire department that expects its members to respond to every call, every day, every week, every month, every year that they are a member is delusional. It simply is not going to happen. If you expect every firefighter that can't make every call to quit the volunteer service is doomed...I hardly believe that is what you want.

I consider myself a pretty dedicated POC FF, but there are times I am simply not going. Like when I am working my career FD job the next day I turn my pager off after midnight. Why? Because I HAVE to go to work, it is that simple, and I am not going into my career job with no sleep. When my kids were younger and I was home alone with them, I didn't go, I was not about to leave young children home alone. If I was sick I don't go. What good am I puking alongside the fire truck? Frankly, if someone cme to a call like that and I was an officer I would order them to go home. Why get everyone sick?

Yes, it is very ridiculous. Ridiculous that volunteer firefighters do not consider themselves on duty 24/7/365. Nothing has ever stopped me from responding to a call other then surgery. That was the only time I was "off duty". Even when my children were being born, I told the chief I might me a little later responding due to being out of the call area and being in hospital garb, but I would be there. Thankfully no calls during both births.

Seriously Dude, you are out of your mind. Leaving your wife right after the birth of your kids to respond to a fire call? I am sorry but that is so pathetically sad on so many levels I can't even begin to tell you. If the fire department depends on me to respond on the day my kids are born or they will have to shut down then shut down because I am not coming!!

I am NOT on duty 24/7/365. I have a life and that includes going out occasionally and tipping a few drinks, going out of town to dinner and the movies, or a concert. going away for a weekend here or there with my wife, going out of town to watch my kids play hockey, going to visit friends and family, and heck even to go shopping for supplies for home projects or the big stck up grocery shopping with my wife. I am dedicated to my POC FDs but I am not a slave that they own.

When my wife had breast cancer I went to my Chief and said flat out, I will most likely NOT be responding for a while because of her surgery, chemo, and more involved with cancer. Guess what he said to me...If you need the time take it, we will be here when you are ready to come back. Not some BS about 24/7/365.

No. sorry it is VOLUNTEER Firefighter. You volunteer to be a firefighter. You do your best to make as many calls as possible. No career firefighter is on duty 24/7/365 so stop kidding yourself into believing that more than a few "Crazy" volunteers like you even come close to that.

Carry on.

I will, but not in the delusional, fairy tale belief that you have about volunteers. If the demand from the FD ever becomes what you personally portray it to be I am done. I will not destroy my personal life so that I can be in town for a possible fire call. I am still in the top 10 for responses without living the life of a shut it that you do.
    Life, live it because you only get one shot at it!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I am responsible for my job. I am a firefighter FIRST. My wife knew my position when she married me.

Not me, I am a husband and father way before I am a firefighter, and that includes my career firefighter job. A firefighter is what I am, not who I am. Believe me there is a difference.

Strange? Because I take pride on my job? Because I take my job seriously? Because I don't do it just to look cool and to get a neat-o pager and a cool hat? Then so be it. I am a firefighter. If I don't show up to do my job, then that is one less helpful hand.

No, strange because basically you have painted your life as one where everything is a distant second to the fire department. This apparently includes your wife and kids. Strange because you refuse to travel more than 15 minutes from your hometown because you might miss a fire call. Strange because what you have more closelt resembles obsessive behavior not normal dedication.

Pride is good, dedication is good, taking firefighting seriously is good...But this is NOT your job, you are a volunteer firefighter and there is far more to life than that. Regret is a huge MF and when yu get old and look back on what you stopped yourself from doing I think your view of all this will not be so awesome. Just curious, are you one of those guys always hanging out at the firehouse?

I was a member of a POC FD many years ago when my captain came to me and said "you work out of town don't you?" I said "Yes I do, mostly nights." He says "well we don't like that much, we need guys in town to respond to calls." I said "well, if you want to pay me to hang around 24 hours a day then we are cool about me quitting my job, otherwise I have bills to pay and a great job." He just looked at me and I just went back to the task at hand. To me that is reality...if you want me around all the time pay me and I will quit my job and hang around town all day, otherwise I have a life and I will live it how I see fit, giving the FD all I can.
    Lighten up abit, the fire service doesn't need any martyrs.
    Maybe it's not too late

Then I feel sorry for you in this regard. There is a big, beautiful country out there and staying within 15 minutes of home your whole life so you don't miss any fire calls on a volunteer fire department is really quite sad. I think you may look back at your so called "Dedication" and wish you had realized that you going out of town for a few days won't cause the entire fire department to collapse.

No one said I stay within 15 mins so I don't miss a call. I did a lot before I became a firefighter. I traveled and saw many great places. But now I have no need to go off too far. There is nothing "out there" that I am missing.

Good for you, again not everyone feels or thinks the same way as you.
    If they are a firefighter, they should. No sports game or movie or TV show is more important then saving someones life or putting out a fire.

My family understands that being a firefighter and doing my duty is important to me, and if I am available I will go. Having said that, no fire department, or its members, is more important to me than my family. You may want to rethink this statement of yours.
    There is nothing to rethink. My family knows that come hell or high water, when those tones are dropped, I am gone out the door. No if's and's or but's.

And yet I would be you have guys that don't show up for the middle of the night fire alarm call, or wires down due to a storm, or an ems lift assist. They may be a great firefighter but they prioritize calls. I am not saying it is right, I am saying it is a stone cold fact and you know it.
    Yes I do know it. It is a fact. That's why I do what I do and respond to ALL CALLS. I am one person that the department knows they can count on.

Nonsense, any volunteer fire department that expects its members to respond to every call, every day, every week, every month, every year that they are a member is delusional. It simply is not going to happen. If you expect every firefighter that can't make every call to quit the volunteer service is doomed...I hardly believe that is what you want.
    Why is that nonsense? You signed on to do a job right? I don't expect you to respond to every single call. But you need to be reliable enough that when there is a call, we know chances are you will be there. We have guys that respond to maybe 10 calls a year. That is bull in my opinion. If there were people that responded all the time, then you could have them assigned duties. As it is now. You never know who is showing up, so you never know what kind of attack you really can do.

I consider myself a pretty dedicated POC FF, but there are times I am simply not going. Like when I am working my career FD job the next day I turn my pager off after midnight. Why? Because I HAVE to go to work, it is that simple, and I am not going into my career job with no sleep. When my kids were younger and I was home alone with them, I didn't go, I was not about to leave young children home alone. If I was sick I don't go. What good am I puking alongside the fire truck? Frankly, if someone cme to a call like that and I was an officer I would order them to go home. Why get everyone sick?
    That's fine. Again I am not saying you HAVE to respond to ALL calls. No one would expect that. But as I said. you joined a department. You have a responsibility. I would bet when all the situations you mentioned were not the case, you have a good response rating yes? You don't seem like a guy that hears "car fire" and says, Nah, I am about to watch SNL." But hears "Structure fire" and says "this could be cool, I'll go and check it out." Those are the people that I am talking about.

BTW Yes I respond when I have a cold. I am wearing an air pack, so how am I spreading any germs?

Seriously Dude, you are out of your mind. Leaving your wife right after the birth of your kids to respond to a fire call? I am sorry but that is so pathetically sad on so many levels I can't even begin to tell you. If the fire department depends on me to respond on the day my kids are born or they will have to shut down then shut down because I am not coming!!
    Guess you missed me saying "Thankfully no calls during both births." But yes I would have responded. Why? Because in our area, it could only be me and 2 other people on that scene. Why? Because everyone else has a mind set of, "Someone else will respond. I am just a volunteer." My wife had lots of family in the room with us. How it is any different that if I had been on scene of a house fire when she went into labor? I could not leave.

I am NOT on duty 24/7/365. I have a life...
    And while you are out doing your life thing, you come upon a wreck. You just drive by? You're not on duty right? You have no obligations to that wreck. You were not even a witness. I hope that's not true.

THAT is what I mean by on duty 24/7/365. Cops are the same. Off duty they still carry a badge and a gun. If they see a crime in progress, they have the right and duty to draw both and take action.

No. sorry it is VOLUNTEER Firefighter. You volunteer to be a firefighter. You do your best to make as many calls as possible. No career firefighter is on duty 24/7/365 so stop kidding yourself into believing that more than a few "Crazy" volunteers like you even come close to that.
    How sad. Sorry you feel that way. I however do not. I am a firefighter that happens to volunteer. Of course career firefighters are not on duty 24/7/365. They aren't getting paid to be. I am not getting paid either way, so I am always on duty.

I will, but not in the delusional, fairy tale belief that you have about volunteers. If the demand from the FD ever becomes what you personally portray it to be I am done. I will not destroy my personal life so that I can be in town for a possible fire call. I am still in the top 10 for responses without living the life of a shut it that you do.
    Oh lord. I never said you had to give up your personal life. I answered your questions about how I live MY life. Because I live MY life the way I do it allows me to be on call 24/7/365. I do not live my life this way so that I can be on call all the time. By all means. Go out of town, have fun, do whatever. YOU are not the guys I am talking about.

Life, live it because you only get one shot at it!
    I have lived a full life and am very happy about it. Fighting fires and doing what I do helps me continue to enjoy my life. Beats sitting arounf the house all day watching TV.'

Not me, I am a husband and father way before I am a firefighter, and that includes my career firefighter job. A firefighter is what I am, not who I am. Believe me there is a difference.
    That is all well and good. I am the same. But unless my kids or wife are needing my medical attention right now, they know I am off when tones are heard.

No, strange because basically you have painted your life as one where everything is a distant second to the fire department. This apparently includes your wife and kids. Strange because you refuse to travel more than 15 minutes from your hometown because you might miss a fire call. Strange because what you have more closelt resembles obsessive behavior not normal dedication.
    Strange because I have seen and been and done all that. Now it is time to do this and do it right.

Lighten up abit, the fire service doesn't need any martyrs.
    You too. I hope after you read my replies, you will understand I was not saying all vollies need to be at the station 24/7/365. I was trying to explain how as a firefighter, volunteer or career, you have a duty to preform 24/7/365. Don't ignore calls just because it is 2am and 40 degs out. You may be the one person that gave that extra helping hand to lift the car off the trapped driver.

That's all I am saying. It would be nice to have more then 3 guys that showed to every call. I don't expect all 40+ members to show all the time. But you know as well as I do that any give time of day, when tones drop, there are 5+ people sitting around able to respond, but won't.

Forum Member

No one said I stay within 15 mins so I don't miss a call. I did a lot before I became a firefighter. I traveled and saw many great places. But now I have no need to go off too far. There is nothing "out there" that I am missing.

Yet you limit yourself out of some self imposed need to be there for every call...

If they are a firefighter, they should. No sports game or movie or TV show is more important then saving someones life or putting out a fire.

Yet they are out there and it sounds like the majority of your guys are like that.

There is nothing to rethink. My family knows that come hell or high water, when those tones are dropped, I am gone out the door. No if's and's or but's.

My family knows if they don't need me, I am responding. I still would not leave MY young kids at home alone, or home sick, or my wife home alone when she was sick from Chemo...So there definitely are ifs, ands, or butts for me.

Yes I do know it. It is a fact. That's why I do what I do and respond to ALL CALLS. I am one person that the department knows they can count on.

Seriously, if the FD is so dependent on your response to ensure getting a truck out the door then they are fooling the public into believing they have a fire department. If you are honest with your 3 man responses then you don't have a fire department at all. That isn't enough to safely handle an extrication, or to establish a water supply, stretch a handline, fight fire and do search and rescue...

Why is that nonsense? You signed on to do a job right? I don't expect you to respond to every single call. But you need to be reliable enough that when there is a call, we know chances are you will be there. We have guys that respond to maybe 10 calls a year. That is bull in my opinion. If there were people that responded all the time, then you could have them assigned duties. As it is now. You never know who is showing up, so you never know what kind of attack you really can do.

If it is that bad you need to get rid of the deadwood and recruit some new members.

That's fine. Again I am not saying you HAVE to respond to ALL calls. No one would expect that. But as I said. you joined a department. You have a responsibility. I would bet when all the situations you mentioned were not the case, you have a good response rating yes? You don't seem like a guy that hears "car fire" and says, Nah, I am about to watch SNL." But hears "Structure fire" and says "this could be cool, I'll go and check it out." Those are the people that I am talking about.

I have a great response record. But like I said I am not responding in the circumstances I mentioned.

BTW Yes I respond when I have a cold. I am wearing an air pack, so how am I spreading any germs?

A cold isn't standing behid the rig puking now is it?

Guess you missed me saying "Thankfully no calls during both births." But yes I would have responded. Why? Because in our area, it could only be me and 2 other people on that scene. Why? Because everyone else has a mind set of, "Someone else will respond. I am just a volunteer." My wife had lots of family in the room with us. How it is any different that if I had been on scene of a house fire when she went into labor? I could not leave.

And I still say that that is horrifically sad.

And while you are out doing your life thing, you come upon a wreck. You just drive by? You're not on duty right? You have no obligations to that wreck. You were not even a witness. I hope that's not true.

If there are local responders on seen, yes I do drive right by. If not I stop and do what I can until responders arrive, then I am out of there.

THAT is what I mean by on duty 24/7/365. Cops are the same. Off duty they still carry a badge and a gun. If they see a crime in progress, they have the right and duty to draw both and take action.

Yet not all off duty cops carry a gun...

How sad. Sorry you feel that way. I however do not. I am a firefighter that happens to volunteer. Of course career firefighters are not on duty 24/7/365. They aren't getting paid to be. I am not getting paid either way, so I am always on duty.

No you are a volunteer firefighter, and there is no reason to be ashamed of that.

Oh lord. I never said you had to give up your personal life. I answered your questions about how I live MY life. Because I live MY life the way I do it allows me to be on call 24/7/365. I do not live my life this way so that I can be on call all the time. By all means. Go out of town, have fun, do whatever. YOU are not the guys I am talking about.

Thanks for permission not to live only for my local POC FD.

I have lived a full life and am very happy about it. Fighting fires and doing what I do helps me continue to enjoy my life. Beats sitting arounf the house all day watching TV.'

I have hobbies and things I like to do with my wife. The POC FD is not my hobby or my recreation or my social club. It is a fire department.

That is all well and good. I am the same. But unless my kids or wife are needing my medical attention right now, they know I am off when tones are heard.

Obsession...

Strange because I have seen and been and done all that. Now it is time to do this and do it right.

You CAN do it right, without it becoming the most important thing in your life.

You too. I hope after you read my replies, you will understand I was not saying all vollies need to be at the station 24/7/365. I was trying to explain how as a firefighter, volunteer or career, you have a duty to preform 24/7/365. Don't ignore calls just because it is 2am and 40 degs out. You may be the one person that gave that extra helping hand to lift the car off the trapped driver.

Oh I understand what you are saying. I just think you are delusional in your beliefs.

That's all I am saying. It would be nice to have more then 3 guys that showed to every call. I don't expect all 40+ members to show all the time. But you know as well as I do that any give time of day, when tones drop, there are 5+ people sitting around able to respond, but won't.

Then get rid of them and do some recruiting.

We will never agree on this...
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-13-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: fixing typos
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    Good use for Coors Light... as it is just beer flavored water....
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

You get paid for a job. Just saying.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Kenny.. I want you to read the next few sentences and ponder them carefully..

There is a life outside of the fire department.

Your family comes first... not the fire department.

Leaving to responding to every call can put your full time job in jeopardy.

Leaving family functions to respond to every call will you put you at the intersection of Separation Road and Divorce Drive... are you willing to pay that price?
    FyredUp likes this.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Leaving family functions to respond to every call will you put you at the intersection of Separation Road and Divorce Drive... are you willing to pay that price?
    Preach it, preach it. There is a limit.

Kenny, if I were as enslaved as you are, I believe I would resent those who don't bother to show up and take it up with the chief. Unless you LIKE being the martyr...

By the way, consider editing the word "retard" out of your earlier post. That word is cruel, offensive, and juvenile to use.
    FyredUp likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Nope. I do not drink.

Carry on.
    Nah, I feel you man! I had the same feelings you did; always being close-by, going to every run......

For about the first month I was on the department.

Then I realized how I was ****ing my life away. I'm now a career guy and on a volly department as well. I am dedicated to the fire service. Doing a hell of a lot to improve my skills, making sure I'm a very productive member of each department.

But...the fire service will ALWAYS be there. If you're in it for the long haul....TAKE SOME TIME OFF. No sense in going full-bore for 5 years and then burning yourself out. Which, yes, can happen even on a volunteer department. For as long as I want to be, I can be a firefighter. My partner, friends, family won't always be as solid. There is a required back and forth, some reciprocity in those relationships. And sometimes that means going out and having a few beers. Or turning the pager off some nights and spending quality time with the people I love.

Try it for a week. I think you'll be surprised how you can still be a productive member of your department, and still put your family FIRST
    FyredUp likes this.

Forum Member

Testify Brother Gonzo!! Can I get a Hallelujah? Or even an AMEN??

So much truth here in your words.

I am a dedicated firefighter, with my career FD, and both of my POC FDs, and I teach fire training for the tech college. But my family will ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS and FOREVER, come first. The fire department will be there tomorrow and the next day after that, family time and time with loved ones in finite and we never know when that will come to a screaching halt. How do I know? Get the absolute CRAP scared out of you by a spouse that is diagnosed with breast cancer and see where you. r priorities lie. I can tell you I had one thing n my min and one thing only, that was getting my wife healthy. Have a son that rolls his car and it ends up with him under water and while he manages to get free and crawl from the wreck he sustains a broken neck. Doctors visits, therapy, and just trying to help him keep it together were my focus, not the fire department. My other son had a weird bone growth on his leg that needed to be surgically removed. He was under anesthesia and let me tell you what that scared the crap out of me. Guess where my focus was then? Chief, I know you understand all this, and I'm not sure why I posted this all here but it just started to flow out of me and here it is.

Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information