Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Strong words!! Nice job Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    Nah, I feel you man! I had the same feelings you did; always being close-by, going to every run......

For about the first month I was on the department.

Then I realized how I was ****ing my life away. I'm now a career guy and on a volly department as well. I am dedicated to the fire service. Doing a hell of a lot to improve my skills, making sure I'm a very productive member of each department.

But...the fire service will ALWAYS be there. If you're in it for the long haul....TAKE SOME TIME OFF. No sense in going full-bore for 5 years and then burning yourself out. Which, yes, can happen even on a volunteer department. For as long as I want to be, I can be a firefighter. My partner, friends, family won't always be as solid. There is a required back and forth, some reciprocity in those relationships. And sometimes that means going out and having a few beers. Or turning the pager off some nights and spending quality time with the people I love.

Try it for a week. I think you'll be surprised how you can still be a productive member of your department, and still put your family FIRST
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I had a Chief once that would actually be taking you aside and ordering you to back off.

He understod how important it was to have a life outside of the fire service. He understood how important it was to make sure that the family came first. And he understood how important is was that his members understood that the fire department were NOT thier LIVES.

Yes, responding is important, but maintaining your all around mental health is far more important.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Yet you limit yourself out of some self imposed need to be there for every call...
    You only read bits and pieces of things? I said "But now I have no need to go off too far."

Yet they are out there and it sounds like the majority of your guys are like that.
    I never said they are not out there.

Seriously, if the FD is so dependent on your response to ensure getting a truck out the door then they are fooling the public into believing they have a fire department. If you are honest with your 3 man responses then you don't have a fire department at all. That isn't enough to safely handle an extrication, or to establish a water supply, stretch a handline, fight fire and do search and rescue...
    This is typical of most volunteer departments. You may have 40 members, but 5 dedicated people that respond.

If it is that bad you need to get rid of the deadwood and recruit some new members.
    You can only recruit people that want to join. All the advertising, and promotions in the world won't force people to join.

A cold isn't standing behid the rig puking now is it?
    No, but i have been there too.

And I still say that that is horrifically sad.
    And I still say that's dedication to the job. Think of the National Guard. They are at home doing whatever and they get the call, they ARE required to drop everything and respond. I see no difference.

If there are local responders on seen, yes I do drive right by. If not I stop and do what I can until responders arrive, then I am out of there.
    I didn't say if there are local responders on scene. You are twisting things your likings. I don't stop if there are responders on scene. There is no need. But if I am the only one there, I stop and do what I can while calling 911.

Yet not all off duty cops carry a gun...
    Have never met an off duty cop that didn't carry a gun and badge at all times.

No you are a volunteer firefighter, and there is no reason to be ashamed of that.

Sorry. That is incorrect. I am a firefighter that happens to not get paid to do the job. I am required to do the same task, have the same training, and follow the same regulations as a paid firefighter.

Obsession...
    [Read: Dedication]

You CAN do it right, without it becoming the most important thing in your life.
    I agree. But when all other important things have come and gone, why not make this?

Oh I understand what you are saying. I just think you are delusional in your beliefs.
    So you understand that I am not saying all vollies have to respond 24/7. You understand that I CHOOSE to do so because I have nothing else to do so why not. You understand that I take pride in doing this job the way I do. Yet you still say I am delusional in my beliefs?

We will never agree on this...
    I agree that you are right that not all vollies must respond 24/7. Again I never said you HAVE to respond 24/7/365. This was never about responding. You turned it into that. It was about things like driving and seeing an accident needing your help and other situations like that.

Forum Member

When someone asks you what yo do for a living, you don't tell them the fire department do you? According to your own words you don't have time for a job (there's that word again) being as you have to and do respond to every call.

Stop calling the volunteer fire department your job. You are not only making career guys who have actual careers in the fire service look dumb, but also the volunteers who understand the fire department is just a part of their lives, and not all of them.

Not to mention it makes no sense what so ever.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Kenny.. I want you to read the next few sentences and ponder them carefully..

There is a life outside of the fire department.

Your family comes first... not the fire department.

Leaving to responding to every call can put your full time job in jeopardy.

Leaving family functions to respond to every call will you put you at the intersection of Separation Road and Divorce Drive... are you willing to pay that price?

Read the next few lines and ponder them carefully...

Saving a live is more important.

My family came after the fire department.

I am retired.

I never said all vollies MUST respond 24/7/365

If your family does not understand you are a firefighter, and your wife chooses to divorce you for responding to calls, then she was not your wife and did not love you to begin with.

I have stopped setting up Christmas toys in our living room on Christmas Eve to respond to a 4 hour car wreck. My wife understands.

I have left family reunions to respond to a house on fire. My family understands.

I have walked out of a movie theater in the middle of a movie to respond to a call. My wife understands (oh and so did the theater manager, I got ticket rain check for both me and my wife.)

I have left my child's school play to respond to a call. My children understand and would not have it any other way. I do not do EMS calls, and when those tones drop, my son ask "Why aren't you going dad? Can't you help them?".

That is a family that understand that I am DEDICATED (not obsessed) to my job. My job is to help preserve life. They know and understand that. It i snot like I miss everything. Come on. We don't have 20 calls a day. Hell, we don't have 20 calls a week. But some times we do. So it balances out. So leaving three of four family events on a multiple decade job is not as bad as you make it out to seem.

Oh and before you or anyone else ask, no we do not plan events based around if there is a call. IF I had family out of town and they wanted me to come visit, I would go. But as I said above. I have no need to go "out of town" any more. So why go? But if I did go out of town for a day, a week, or even 30 mins. I call the chief on his cell and let him know I am out of service. When I return I let him know I am in service. Funny thing is, he does the same. H eknows if he need to go out of the area, I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Preach it, preach it. There is a limit.

Kenny, if I were as enslaved as you are, I believe I would resent those who don't bother to show up and take it up with the chief. Unless you LIKE being the martyr...

Odd how you use words like "enslaved" and "martyr" yet failed to pick up on me saying I CHOOSE to do this. No one is forcing me to respond 24/7. It is not in the SOG's. So no I do not have any resentment toward those that do not respond. That is their CHOICE.

Nah, I feel you man! I had the same feelings you did; always being close-by, going to every run......

For about the first month I was on the department.

Then I realized how I was ****ing my life away.
    Funny, I was the other way around when I first joined. I had better things to do then respond. Then I realized the nothing was more important then saving another life.

But...the fire service will ALWAYS be there. If you're in it for the long haul....TAKE SOME TIME OFF. No sense in going full-bore for 5 years and then burning yourself out.
    You are looking at my life backwards. I am retired. I have lived a great life. full of action and adventure (so to speak). I did more before I was 35 years old then most people have done their whole life. Now I settle down and spend my time as a firefighter.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I had a Chief once that would actually be taking you aside and ordering you to back off.

He understod how important it was to have a life outside of the fire service. He understood how important it was to make sure that the family came first. And he understood how important is was that his members understood that the fire department were NOT thier LIVES.

Yes, responding is important, but maintaining your all around mental health is far more important.
    Sounds like a chief that wants to make his members quit. What if the member didn't have a family? Nothing better to do then the department? What if that members ambition was the department? Not saying that is me, but we have had members like that.

Responding to calls the way I do is what helps me maintain my all around mental health. Sitting around the house all day trying ti find something to do would drive me crazy.

Do you understand how I am not saying ALL volunteers should be like this? And do you understand why I am saying that I do?

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    When someone asks you what yo do for a living, you don't tell them the fire department do you? According to your own words you don't have time for a job (there's that word again) being as you have to and do respond to every call.
    According to my words I am retired. And yes when someone ask what I do, I tell them I am a firefighter. We do not have to say "volunteer" or "paid" because it does not matter.

Stop calling the volunteer fire department your job. You are not only making career guys who have actual careers in the fire service look dumb, but also the volunteers who understand the fire department is just a part of their lives, and not all of them.

Not to mention it makes no sense what so ever.
    Really? So when I go to the department I just stand around with my thumb up may butt and do nothing? No. I WORK. and I work hard. it is my JOB. Just because I don't get paid does not make it any less of a job. And I am sorry that YOU feel it makes career guys look dumb, but that is YOUR problem.

Forum Member

That makes about as much sense as a guy retiring and becoming a boy scout troup leader, then telling everyone who asks his occupation is boy scout leader.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

That makes about as much sense as a guy retiring and becoming a boy scout troup leader, then telling everyone who asks his occupation is boy scout leader.
    If that is what he spends most of his time doing, then that would be correct. The words "job" and "occupation" do not define pay or income, and even if they did, then you can still say that volunteers have jobs and have a pay rate of $0.00.

Just because I am a volunteer does not make me any less of a (insert job title here).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KennyTheFireGuy View Post
    You only read bits and pieces of things? I said "But now I have no need to go off too far."

Good for you. I hope when I am 60, 70, 80, and maybe even 90 that I still have enough curiousity and wonder about the world not to limit myself to no travel past 15 minutes from my POC fire station.

I never said they are not out there.

I'll go even further to say that if your average response is 3 guys you are lying to your community about having a fire department. Because you don't. You are a shell and pea game hoping that you find the pea and have enough guys for this call, all the time knowing that most often you will hit the other 2 shells and get nothing. THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE VOLUNTEER FIRE SERVICE. We pretend all is well while we pray that either nothing occurs or this is the day more than 3 show up for the big one.

This is typical of most volunteer departments. You may have 40 members, but 5 dedicated people that respond.

Nonsense...my #1 POC FD averages 8 during the day and as high as 18 at night for fire and rescue calls. My #2 POC FD averages 12 for a daytime call and over 20 for a night time call. The neighboring FD averages about 25 for calls day or night.

Again if you have 40 so called members and only 3 show up you really only have 3 members. Stop lying to yourself and the community.

You can only recruit people that want to join. All the advertising, and promotions in the world won't force people to join.

Maybe it is your reptation and accepting people that never show up that is keeping people away. people want to belong to quality organizations, whether paid or volunteer. No one wants to waste their time with a bunch of no show turds.

No, but i have been there too.

If you went to a fire puking then I am afraid you are far too stupid to be a firefighter. Your hero complex put your Brother Firefighters in danger. Suppose you are masked up inside and puke in your mask? Then what? Your minimumly staffed FD now has to take however many people it takes to get your stupid azz out of the building to medical care. Nope, I caught a guy at work puking his guts out and told him to go home, I went and told the captain this guy was puking and needed to go home. we don't need guys on scene that are so sick they are puking. To me this is 100% a maturity and God complex issue...

And I still say that's dedication to the job. Think of the National Guard. They are at home doing whatever and they get the call, they ARE required to drop everything and respond. I see no difference.

No leaving your wife after she just gave birth to go be a VOLUNTEER Firefighter is pathetic and the fact you can't see that she would need you more then makes its even more pathetic and sad.

The National Guard is the MILITARY. You enlist, you sign a contract, the government OWNS YOUR BODY AND SOUL during your period of enlistment. You volunteer to be a firefighter, they don't own you. Unlike the military you can walk away anytime you wish. The fact that you can't see the night and day difference makes me just shake my head.

I didn't say if there are local responders on scene. You are twisting things your likings. I don't stop if there are responders on scene. There is no need. But if I am the only one there, I stop and do what I can while calling 911.

Can you read? I believe that is EXACTLY what I said.

Have never met an off duty cop that didn't carry a gun and badge at all times.

Come up here and let me introduce you to a ton of them.

Sorry. That is incorrect. I am a firefighter that happens to not get paid to do the job. I am required to do the same task, have the same training, and follow the same regulations as a paid firefighter.

Look your desperate need to try and make this your JOB, your CAREER, your MEANING FOR LIVING, doesn't change the facts. YOU are a VOLUNTEER Firefighter and somehow that makes you ashamed. I am not sure why. I always tell people that ask me that I am a Career Firefighter in the city and a Volunteer on 2 departments out where I live. I started as a Volunteer and feel pride in that. The name VOLUNTEER Firefighter has a PROUD TRADITION in this country and there is no need to change that.

I would bet you are one of those vollies that when people ask you what you do you say I am a firefighter. Since they are asking about your livlihood you are being a whole lot less than truthful aren't you?

[Read: Dedication]

No you see, I am DEDICATED. I make every training and every meeting I can. I respond to all the calls that aren't stopped by my previous list of reasons. I am in the top of responders on both POC FDs. Yet I have a life, I go away for trips and vacations, I stay home if I am sick, I put my family before the fire department because they are far more important to me. You put the FD in front of everything, including your family...Look up the word OBSESSION and I wouldn't be surprised if their is a picture of you there!!

I agree. But when all other important things have come and gone, why not make this?

Is your wife still alive? How about your kids? Grandkids? You see time passes, people die, kids grow up and move on with ther lives, grandkids grow up...YOU NEVER GET THOSE YEARS BACK. When your son, or grandson goes from 3 to 15 in the blink of an eye will you go we had some great times or will you go yeah I missed that because of a barn fre, and I missed that because of a car wreck, and we never took a vacation as a family because I can't leave town...

So you understand that I am not saying all vollies have to respond 24/7. You understand that I CHOOSE to do so because I have nothing else to do so why not. You understand that I take pride in doing this job the way I do. Yet you still say I am delusional in my beliefs?

You have NOTHING ELSE TO DO? Wow you sound incredibly boring! Even if I wanted to die today I can't I have too much to do...family, friends, places to see, things to build...LIFE is what you make of it and it seems you have found a way to escape life by being SUPER VOLLY!! Good luck with that. What will you do when you are too old to volly?

I agree that you are right that not all vollies must respond 24/7. Again I never said you HAVE to respond 24/7/365. This was never about responding. You turned it into that. It was about things like driving and seeing an accident needing your help and other situations like that.

It's entirely about responding. if it isn't why have you made it such a big deal about never being more than 15 minutes from the FD? Leaving even if you wife just gave birth to go to a call? Leaving family gatherings to go to a call? And quite possibly the most insane thing I have ever seen posted here on FH.com, going to a call while you are so sick you are puking! Oh it is all about response and your delusional idea that they can't exist with out you. Honestly I pity you that your life is all about a volunteer fire department.
    Dude you gtta let it go sometimes, let your hair down, and simply enjoy life.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

If that is what he spends most of his time doing, then that would be correct. The words "job" and "occupation" do not define pay or income, and even if they did, then you can still say that volunteers have jobs and have a pay rate of $0.00.

Just because I am a volunteer does not make me any less of a (insert job title here).
    Says you. The dictionary, on the other hand, says different:

oc·cu·pa·tion   /ˌɒkyəˈpeɪʃən/ Show Spelled[ok-yuh-pey-shuhn] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a person's usual or principal work or business, especially as a means of earning a living; vocation: Her occupation was dentistry.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Good for you. I hope when I am 60, 70, 80, and maybe even 90 that I still have enough curiousity and wonder about the world not to limit myself to no travel past 15 minutes from my POC fire station.

*shakes head* You really do only read parts of a comment don't you? Did you miss where I said I have done a lot and seen many thing sin my life. how now it is time to settle down and so I do this since I have no reason to go off far anymore.

The National Guard is the MILITARY. You enlist, you sign a contract, the government OWNS YOUR BODY AND SOUL during your period of enlistment. You volunteer to be a firefighter, they don't own you. Unlike the military you can walk away anytime you wish. The fact that you can't see the night and day difference makes me just shake my head.
    And you VOLUNTEERED to sign up and join. You choose to ignore the similarities. BOTH protect and save lives. (I preferred the enlisted though 8 years in the Air Force was nice.)

If you went to a fire puking then I am afraid you are far too stupid to be a firefighter. Your hero complex put your Brother Firefighters in danger.
    Yes. it would have been much better for them to not have the extra hand there to help hold the dash off that guys leg while they pulled him out. I am sure the guy would have been more grateful to have had to wait for the other station to bring the hydros to push the dash off because there were not enough person on scene.

Come up here and let me introduce you to a ton of them.
    Then they are not cops. They are show boaters.

Look your desperate need to try and make this your JOB, your CAREER, your MEANING FOR LIVING, doesn't change the facts. YOU are a VOLUNTEER Firefighter and somehow that makes you ashamed.
    First off I am a FIREFIGHTER that is a volunteer. Second I am not ashamed of anything. You seem to be the one ashamed by creating excuses as to why you choose not to respond when needed.

I would bet you are one of those vollies that when people ask you what you do you say I am a firefighter. Since they are asking about your livlihood you are being a whole lot less than truthful aren't you?
    Well, I sure don't tell them I am a garbage man. I am a firefighter. What difference does it make if I am volunteer or paid? None.

Look up the word OBSESSION and I wouldn't be surprised if their is a picture of you there!!
    No sonny, Obsession would be living at the vol station. Dedication is doing my job 100% to the best of my ability. and for me that is going to every call and not going out of town just to go out of town when there is no need to be out of town.

is your wife still alive? How about your kids? Grandkids?
    Yes, Yes, Yes. Your point? Time passes and I have seen my kids grow up. Out of all the school events for both of my children, I have missed ONE play, (half actually). Out of all the dates my wife and I have been on, I have missed ONE, (half actually, and we made it up later), Out of all the family gatherings I have missed ONE. Time passes and for the few seconds, mins, hours I can be there to help a stranger I will have years, decades with my loved ones.

You have NOTHING ELSE TO DO? Wow you sound incredibly boring!
    Listen closely. Try to pay attention this time. I...have...done...lots...of...stuff...in...my...li fe. I...am...retired.

What will you do when you are too old to volly?
    God willing I will be taken by the beast.

t's entirely about responding. if it isn't why have you made it such a big deal about never being more than 15 minutes from the FD?
    One, I didn't make a big deal of it. I just said I have no reason to go "out of town" the only things I need are within 15 min drive.

But you said
    Ever been out of town, out of stat, out of the country?
    So I said, no, I don't go out of town. YOU are the one that made it about responding. When I started this subject I was speaking of things like responding to an accident if you are the only one there.

Says you. The dictionary, on the other hand, says different:

oc·cu·pa·tion   /ˌɒkyəˈpeɪʃən/ Show Spelled[ok-yuh-pey-shuhn] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a person's usual or principal work or business, especially as a means of earning a living; vocation: Her occupation was dentistry.
    Note the comma and word "especially". It does not say "solely" or "primarily" or "exclusively". So the definition key points are "a person's usual or principal work or business".

Agree to disagree. You feel a volunteer is just some guy with a pager that responds when the big game is not on. I feel he is a firefighter that happens to not get paid for his work and services, and deserves just as much respect as a paid firefighter. Using the term "volunteer" in front of "firefighter" is demeaning. When I don my gear it doe snot say "VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER" it says "FIREFIGHTER". When I arrive to a house and am searching for people I do not call out "Volunteer fire department!" I call out "Fire department!" When someone calls 911 they do not say "We need the volunteer fire department." They say "We need the fire department."

So I agree that you are right. I agree that you are wrong.

Carry on.
    Last edited by KennyTheFireGuy; 11-13-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Type'o

Forum Member

Odd how you use words like "enslaved" and "martyr" yet failed to pick up on me saying I CHOOSE to do this. No one is forcing me to respond 24/7. It is not in the SOG's. So no I do not have any resentment toward those that do not respond. That is their CHOICE.
    Our message is not that someone should be releasing you from this level of activity. It is that you are doing so at the risk of alienating your family and missing out on the many other things there are to do in life.

I was pretty shocked to see you say that your family came after the fire department. So what? I love my department, love to train, love to respond, and I even tolerate the fundraising. If I left that department tomorrow, the hole I leave would be filled. I am not so egotistical as to think I am irreplaceable.

But I love my family more, and if I were suddenly no longer a part of it, it would never be the same. That's not egotistical, that's a fact borne out by sociological research and the simple fact that I love my wife and girls, and they love me. I even like the cat.

I, too, have had to split from birthday parties and Christmas day to respond to calls. But the pager did not accompany me to baby deliveries, funerals, my eldest girl's baptism, or other major, irreplaceable things.

By your own words, you have five guys out of 40 who respond. That is awful. It is time that you and your chief did some butt-chewing and house-cleaning.

And I have SERIOUS resentment toward those who don't respond because they consume resources (gear and pagers), they represent the department poorly, they don't participate in the fundraising, and in the unlikely event that they do show up, they don't know what they are doing. They are a liability, not an asset. Dead weight. Kick them to the curb.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Kenny,

I wanted to believe there was hope for you but you are every bit as stubborn and ignorant as the Junior you rallied behind.

Waste your life trying to be a super hero. Waste your life trying to convinvce yourself your JOB is Firefighter when the truth is you are a VOLUNTEER, not that there is anything wrong with that. But you telling people you are a firefighter when they ask you what you do implies you are a career firefighter and that, no matter how much you don't see the difference, is a LIE. Not a half truth, not a misunderstanding, not a slip of the tongue...It is a bald faced LIE. And for you not to see the difference between a career firefighter where it is his occupation, and you as a volunteer where it is normally done in someone's spare time shows how completely delusional you are.

By the way, I'll be sure to tell those cops they don't meet some podunk volly firefighters standards for being a cop. I am sure they will go right into the fetal position and cry themselves to sleep over what YOU think about them.

You may be old and retired but it appears the wisdom of age has completely escaped you...
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

You know what Kenny? I bet I can describe you to a tee. You said sitting around the house thinking of what to do would drive you crazy...I would bet you are the guy who worked at the mill, or the bank, or the grocery store or whatever and your WHOLE LIFE was your job. No outside interests, no hobbies because your job was your identity. When that got taken away you needed to replace that because without something to identify yourself with you had absolutely nothing in your life. So now you are KENNY SUPER VOLLY!! The guy that the FD simply can't survive without...

Prove me wrong...

I can tell you I am retiring in about 7 months from my career FD job. Between family and friends, my hobbies (like woodworking, target shooting, tinkering with cars, reading, remodeling my house, gardening) and day trips with my wife I won't have time to sit around going crazy. I will simply be too busy. Add teaching fire training and my 2 POC FDs and my life will be pretty full. People that are bored, tend to be boring people.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

This statement botghers the living crap out of me.

First of all, I really don't care howe much time you spend at the fire station. I volunteer for a small rural VFD that does about 100 runs a year, and Ii make about half the calls. I also respond in off-duty asd a volunteer on my career department as I live in the district and actually am in the top 10 responders excluding runs while on shift each year out of 8 career and 80 volunteers for volunteer responses.

I have been doing this for over 30 years and always made a hihgh percentage of runs on every department on which I have served.

But even with that I manage to live a very balanced life and will skip calls if i have decided to relax and have a couple of beers, spend time at home with my wife, play golf, go into town to see a movie or have dinner or 50 other things that I do to keep everything in focus.

Now to the point of my post.

The fact that you want to be taken by "the beast" tells me that you do live in some fantasyland. Having been on having been on departments where an LODD have occurred i can tell you that the emotional toll on the department and your brothers is significant, and is not in any way easy to deal with. And it's far worse on the family. It leaves scars, and for you to be wish to be "taken buy the beast" tells me that yopu are selfish and have no regard for your brothers or your family.

Maybe the idea of dying a hero and having abig fire department funeral with the procession rolling through town turns you on. maybe you want your life to end like Ladder 49 or Backdraft. If you truly knew the price that your brothers will pay for your wish you will never, and I mean NEVER make that statement again.

I have had friends die as an LODD. I have been at scene where 2 members of neighboring departments died in a burned out hotel and thier bodies were found by chance. Please never make that statement again.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I can tell you I am retiring in about 7 months from my career FD job.
    Congrats on your retirement!!

Retirement seems to be so far off for me that it gives me hope that one day I will retire when I hear others retiring.

Enjoy!!!

Forum Member

The fact that you want to be taken by "the beast" tells me that you do live in some fantasyland. Having been on having been on departments where an LODD have occurred i can tell you that the emotional toll on the department and your brothers is significant, and is not in any way easy to deal with. And it's far worse on the family. It leaves scars, and for you to be wish to be "taken buy the beast" tells me that yopu are selfish and have no regard for your brothers or your family.

Maybe the idea of dying a hero and having abig fire department funeral with the procession rolling through town turns you on. maybe you want your life to end like Ladder 49 or Backdraft. If you truly knew the price that your brothers will pay for your wish you will never, and I mean NEVER make that statement again.

I have had friends die as an LODD. I have been at scene where 2 members of neighboring departments died in a burned out hotel and thier bodies were found by chance. Please never make that statement again.
    I have to agree with LA on this one.

Forum Member

I am also in the twilight years of my career... started year 31 on 11/01/2012, I hit pension max on 11/01/2013. If I choose to retire, I have the fire academy, my car detailing venture and my grandson to keep me busy.

I do have a incentive to stay a little longer.... my son is getting on the job! He's locked into the civil service list, and will be appointed in mid June and at the Fire Academy as a member of Class#200.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Sorry, Kenny, that is absolutely frakked. If that is your mindset.. get the hell out now before you take someone out with you.
    FyredUp, FireInTheShire and rm1524 like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

*shakes head* You really do only read parts of a comment don't you? Did you miss where I said I have done a lot and seen many thing sin my life. how now it is time to settle down and so I do this since I have no reason to go off far anymore.

So essentially you are just passing time...WOW! That sounds great!

And you VOLUNTEERED to sign up and join. You choose to ignore the similarities. BOTH protect and save lives. (I preferred the enlisted though 8 years in the Air Force was nice.)

The difference is you can walk away froma volunteer fire department at any time and there are no repercussions. Try that with the national Guard.

Yes. it would have been much better for them to not have the extra hand there to help hold the dash off that guys leg while they pulled him out. I am sure the guy would have been more grateful to have had to wait for the other station to bring the hydros to push the dash off because there were not enough person on scene.

Golly you got to be the hero...What a surprise.

Then they are not cops. They are show boaters.

You are so far gone I can't even believe it myself. Come up here and tell them that to their face.

First off I am a FIREFIGHTER that is a volunteer. Second I am not ashamed of anything. You seem to be the one ashamed by creating excuses as to why you choose not to respond when needed.

Oh you are completely ashamed of being a volunteer and THAT is why you lie and tell people you are a firefighter giving the impression you are a career firefighter. Instead of telling them you are retired from _________ and now are a volunteer firefighter.

I have already told you little man, I am always in the top ten in responses, and many years in the top 2 or 3...and i have a life. So tell me again how ashamed I am...

Well, I sure don't tell them I am a garbage man. I am a firefighter. What difference does it make if I am volunteer or paid? None.

You are trying to create the image that you are a career firefighter by leaving out the important detail that you are a VOLUNTEER. Delusional super hero.

No sonny, Obsession would be living at the vol station. Dedication is doing my job 100% to the best of my ability. and for me that is going to every call and not going out of town just to go out of town when there is no need to be out of town.

Obsession is revolving your entire life around the fire department whether you hang out at the station or not.

Yes, Yes, Yes. Your point? Time passes and I have seen my kids grow up. Out of all the school events for both of my children, I have missed ONE play, (half actually). Out of all the dates my wife and I have been on, I have missed ONE, (half actually, and we made it up later), Out of all the family gatherings I have missed ONE. Time passes and for the few seconds, mins, hours I can be there to help a stranger I will have years, decades with my loved ones.

So which story is true, you didn't become a volunteer until you retired, or your kids are all grown up and gone? Because you said you would have left your wife at the hospital after giving birth to go to a fire.

Listen closely. Try to pay attention this time. I...have...done...lots...of...stuff...in...my...li fe. I...am...retired.

So again, you are just passing time waiting for the tones to drop so your life has meaning?

This is one of the more assinine, selfish, jack azz comments I have ever seen here on FH.com. For anyone that calls themselves a firefighter to wish that is flat out insane. I actually pity you if that is what you hope for. That's great, just great, put your Borther firefighters through an LODD, put your family through that type of death. You are a selfish turd that has no idea at all what it means to be a firefighter. Please stop posting and go away.

One, I didn't make a big deal of it. I just said I have no reason to go "out of town" the only things I need are within 15 min drive.

You did make a big deal out of proclaiming I am NEVER more than 15 minutes from the fire station.

So I said, no, I don't go out of town. YOU are the one that made it about responding. When I started this subject I was speaking of things like responding to an accident if you are the only one there.

And I answered your silly question not once, but twice.

Note the comma and word "especially". It does not say "solely" or "primarily" or "exclusively". So the definition key points are "a person's usual or principal work or business".

You are a VOLUNTEER, no amount of semantical games makes it your job, career, or occupation. Get over it and move on.

Agree to disagree. You feel a volunteer is just some guy with a pager that responds when the big game is not on. I feel he is a firefighter that happens to not get paid for his work and services, and deserves just as much respect as a paid firefighter. Using the term "volunteer" in front of "firefighter" is demeaning. When I don my gear it doe snot say "VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER" it says "FIREFIGHTER". When I arrive to a house and am searching for people I do not call out "Volunteer fire department!" I call out "Fire department!" When someone calls 911 they do not say "We need the volunteer fire department." They say "We need the fire department."

You accuse me of not reading your ramblings well try reading mine instead of making crap up to prove your point. I don't care if someone is a Proud VOLUNTEER or a Proud CAREER firefighter. Since I am both it is entirely laughable that you would try to say I am slamming volunteers. Do some research you Will see I have done some pretty serious battle here with career guys over my beng a 2 hatter.

So I agree that you are right. I agree that you are wrong.

No I AM right and you are delusional. Frankly, I am glad I am not anywhere near you because it sounds like you have a hero complex on top of a death wish.

Carry on.
    Go away Kenny...stop posting your drivel.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSFD9302 View Post
    Congrats on your retirement!!

Retirement seems to be so far off for me that it gives me hope that one day I will retire when I hear others retiring.

Enjoy!!!
    Thanks Brother!

You will get there and you will look back and say WOW! that went by fast.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Dang LA! This may be the best post you have ever put here on the pages of FH.com!!

This statement botghers the living crap out of me.

First of all, I really don't care howe much time you spend at the fire station. I volunteer for a small rural VFD that does about 100 runs a year, and Ii make about half the calls. I also respond in off-duty asd a volunteer on my career department as I live in the district and actually am in the top 10 responders excluding runs while on shift each year out of 8 career and 80 volunteers for volunteer responses.

I have been doing this for over 30 years and always made a hihgh percentage of runs on every department on which I have served.

But even with that I manage to live a very balanced life and will skip calls if i have decided to relax and have a couple of beers, spend time at home with my wife, play golf, go into town to see a movie or have dinner or 50 other things that I do to keep everything in focus.

Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information