Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

  1. #321
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tajm611's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I don't agree with our dept's policy with 14 year olds..it is in place and it is what it is.

    As far as the drivers license justifying letting a 16 year old to ride a fire truck..I'll justify it by saying this..driving emergent to a call..would you say that it is more dangerous then letting a 16 year old go out on a Friday night driving around by himself or worse, with friends trying to impress girls and giving into peer pressure?
    Yes. You're also assuming that every 16 year old would be that immature. I know I wasn't, I payed for my truck with my own money and had to buy my own gas so it stayed parked most of the time. That said, even the most responsible 16, 17, or 18 year old does not have the same driving experience to safely pilot fire apparatus. That's like giving a firefighter command of a fire ground because he has 1403. We have a requirement that you have to be 21 to drive ANY fire department vehicle, not because its an easy number but for the fact you'd have at least 4 years driving under your belt. It's not much but it's a hell of a lot better than 4 days or 4 months. This is ignoring the common sense fact that handing a 16 year old the keys to a honda accord and a fire apparatus are worlds apart and such an asinine comparison that it doesn't deserve discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I know what my friends and I did when we were 16 driving around, we thought we were untouchable, and it had nothing to do with how I was raised or my morals/values..it had to do with having a new sense of freedom not having to ride with a parent all the time..it felt like we were adults, however, we obviously weren't.
    So allow them to drive a vehicle much, much larger, with not just everyone on the roads lives at stake but my crew and my self? So let them drive, code, in a vehicle they may not have any experience in dealing it, when it comes to weight, brakes, and turning?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Now, your faced with a choice..let your 16-17 year old son/daughter go on a call, with a qualified apparatus/driver operator..and operate under the direct supervision of firefighters like yourself..or giving them the keys to your car and tell him, hey, be back by 11.
    Not a difficult choice at all, it's common sense. He/she learned, was tested, has experience in a passenger vehicle, he/she will drive a passenger vehicle.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Now, once again, this scenario does not reflect at all on you as a father or your wife as a mother or your parenting skills collectively..things happen, it is what it is. and in all honesty, what makes a 16 year old more mature then an 18 year old..or a 17 year old more mature then an 18 year old..or an 18 year old more mature then a 21 year old? a 16 year old who works 1 or 2 jobs and does good in school, plays sports or a 21 year old who smokes pot does dishes part time and lives in his mothers basement like a leach? maturity/responsibility does not have an age limit..if a 16 year old walks into my firehouse and is like I want to learn how to be a firefighter and he goes through the appropriate training and demonstrates he is responsible and mature there is no reason to not let him on an apparatus to go and assist doing jobs on the fire ground that aren't in the hot zone. Saying that letting a 16 year old child onto a fire truck is insane, but letting an 18 year old man is not..is equivalent to saying..it is insane to let an 18 year old FRESH out of high school to go to war..but it is ok to let a 21 year old to go and fight and die. If letting a 16 year old on a fire truck keeps him away from drugs or trouble and gives him interest in a career field..then I'm all for it.

    good debate..
    It's not illogical at all. There is a huge gap in cognitive reasoning between 16 and 18. Are some 18 year olds stupid? Sure, but I'd like to put my money on the guy who has a little more experience. It's not crazy at all, it'd be crazy to think there isn't a difference between a 16 year old and an 18 and beyond.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

  2. #322
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Yes. You're also assuming that every 16 year old would be that immature. I know I wasn't, I payed for my truck with my own money and had to buy my own gas so it stayed parked most of the time. That said, even the most responsible 16, 17, or 18 year old does not have the same driving experience to safely pilot fire apparatus. That's like giving a firefighter command of a fire ground because he has 1403. We have a requirement that you have to be 21 to drive ANY fire department vehicle, not because its an easy number but for the fact you'd have at least 4 years driving under your belt. It's not much but it's a hell of a lot better than 4 days or 4 months. This is ignoring the common sense fact that handing a 16 year old the keys to a honda accord and a fire apparatus are worlds apart and such an asinine comparison that it doesn't deserve discussion.


    So allow them to drive a vehicle much, much larger, with not just everyone on the roads lives at stake but my crew and my self? So let them drive, code, in a vehicle they may not have any experience in dealing it, when it comes to weight, brakes, and turning?



    Not a difficult choice at all, it's common sense. He/she learned, was tested, has experience in a passenger vehicle, he/she will drive a passenger vehicle.



    It's not illogical at all. There is a huge gap in cognitive reasoning between 16 and 18. Are some 18 year olds stupid? Sure, but I'd like to put my money on the guy who has a little more experience. It's not crazy at all, it'd be crazy to think there isn't a difference between a 16 year old and an 18 and beyond.
    I apologize if I confused you, but I never meant that a 16 or 18 year old should be allowed to drive an apparatus, I said it is ok for 16 year olds to ride on an apparatus with a qualified driver/operator.

    my bad for the confusion.

  3. #323
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,239

    Default

    All of this because a 14 year old said they were getting a pager.


    If that department has them and wants to issue them to kids so be it. We don't have that problem at all.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  4. #324
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    All of this because a 14 year old said they were getting a pager.


    If that department has them and wants to issue them to kids so be it. We don't have that problem at all.
    Nope sorry, I adamantly disagree. The story a while back of the junior repsonding on his bike that got hit and killed was enough to close the door to underage juniors responding to calls. AND, you know if you give a wacker kid a pager, he is going, if only to watch.

    Not worth the risk.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 06-20-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  5. #325
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Nope sorry, I adamantly disagree. The story a while back of the junior repsonding on his bike that got hit and killed was enough to close the door to underage juniors responding to calls. AND, you know if you give a wacker kid a pager, he is going, if only to watch.

    Not worth the risk.
    Makes sense.

    But I wonder if we can't remedy the issue and issue pagers. Just not sure how.

  6. #326
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    All of this because a 14 year old said they were getting a pager.


    .
    Hey, I am getting a prostate exam!
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

  7. #327
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Hey, I am getting a prostate exam!
    Word of advise --RELAX -first one I had --- I almost broke the docs finger.
    ?

  8. #328
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Word of advise --RELAX -first one I had --- I almost broke the docs finger.

    Advice taken

  9. #329
    MembersZone Subscriber
    BULL321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    I'm going to fart! No sir, you think you are going to fart. No Doc, I'm really going to fart! No sir you just think you're going to pass gas. Hey Doc, Does it smell like I thought that I was going to fart?
    FireInTheShire likes this.
    Stay Safe
    Bull


    “Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

    Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

  10. #330
    Forum Member
    Miller337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    I'm going to fart! No sir, you think you are going to fart. No Doc, I'm really going to fart! No sir you just think you're going to pass gas. Hey Doc, Does it smell like I thought that I was going to fart?
    This really is kinda a Twilight Zone incident thread. This thread was started by some kid getting a pager but can't respond when it drops tones and somehow morphed into an Bull's rectal exam issues.

    Bullman I come to think of you as family I never wanted so I'll try to be kind. The reason the doctor closes the door when he comes in the exam room isn't for your privacy, its an act of humanity so we don't have to watch.

  11. #331
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    This really is kinda a Twilight Zone incident thread. This thread was started by some kid getting a pager but can't respond when it drops tones and somehow morphed into an Bull's rectal exam issues.

    Bullman I come to think of you as family I never wanted so I'll try to be kind. The reason the doctor closes the door when he comes in the exam room isn't for your privacy, its an act of humanity so we don't have to watch.
    I will wrench it back on topic, do you wear your pager during the exam?

  12. #332
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    This really is kinda a Twilight Zone incident thread. This thread was started by some kid getting a pager but can't respond when it drops tones and somehow morphed into an Bull's rectal exam issues.

    Bullman I come to think of you as family I never wanted so I'll try to be kind. The reason the doctor closes the door when he comes in the exam room isn't for your privacy, its an act of humanity so we don't have to watch.
    I can be blamed for a lot of things, but this diversion into rectal exams damn sure ain't MY fault.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  13. #333
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I can be blamed for a lot of things, but this diversion into rectal exams damn sure ain't MY fault.
    Not reallly.. the vast majority of posters here think your head is up your (fill in the blank)....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  14. #334
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Not reallly.. the vast majority of posters here think your head is up your (fill in the blank)....
    That's pretty damn funny. Sadly, it's true. What's scary is if there are others out there like LA.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  15. #335
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I can be blamed for a lot of things, but this diversion into rectal exams damn sure ain't MY fault.
    actually it is your fault, as you being an azzhole and rectal exams correlate with one another......
    Chenzo likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  16. #336
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    If you knew the whole story A.S.S.H.O.L.E, I get your point 100%, that we can agree on the same thing. I don't live in the city, So my parents drive me to the station, not to the call, I DO NOT RIDE MY BIKE THERE!

  17. #337
    Forum Member
    IronValor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Kentucky
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Do your parents know you talk to your elders like that?
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

  18. #338
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    Do your parents know you talk to your elders like that?
    Of course. We all say, "I'm getting sick of old people!"

  19. #339
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    Of course. We all say, "I'm getting sick of old people!"
    well maybe you ought to tell your mamma to change your diet.
    ?

  20. #340

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I am going to chime in here on the original topic at hand.

    We don't even give probies pagers until their 90 days are up. They get gear and if we need them we call them on the phone.

    Juniors get nothing. no pager, no gear, nothing issued. When they come for training, they grab out of the pile. Since none of them are 1403, then they are not doing live burn training anyway. Juniors are not allowed to respond to calls, even if they happen to have a scanner or family member that is a member. They have no place on a fire scene. In our department, you must be 16-18 to be a junior member. So you being 14/15, are lucky.

    Now as for your question. I prefer the M5. it is not much bigger then the M4 and has a better battery. I think the better pager should be left for the other members.

    This was the first pager I was issued many years ago.



    I was later lucky enough to get a M3. I do miss the earphone jack.

    Now have a M5. as back up for when my radio dies, or if I don't feel like wearing it.
    Last edited by KennyTheFireGuy; 11-05-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pager Help
    By Junior22 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
  2. i'm looking for a pager
    By HFDEXP777 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 08:16 PM
  3. I need I pager.
    By Explorer12 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2001, 09:17 AM
  4. Need a pager?
    By matthewmints in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2001, 12:23 PM
  5. Need a pager??
    By matthewmints in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2001, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register