Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 477
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

  1. #401
    Forum Member FireInTheShire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    106

    Default

    ....So how about a lock now....


  2. #402
    Forum Member snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Dang LA! This may be the best post you have ever put here on the pages of FH.com!!
    Even a busted clock is right twice a day. >.<


    Kenny, dude ease up man. You're headed for burnout. Seen more than one guy bust a spring on this job. I really hope you're not getting emotionally involved on these calls, that's a recipe for disaster for you and possibly anyone around you.

    Go see your doctor, get a script for Cialis, and try to wear the head off that tic tac in your pants.
    IAFF

  3. #403
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    God willing I will be taken by the beast.

    This statement botghers the living crap out of me.

    First of all, I really don't care howe much time you spend at the fire station. I volunteer for a small rural VFD that does about 100 runs a year, and Ii make about half the calls. I also respond in off-duty asd a volunteer on my career department as I live in the district and actually am in the top 10 responders excluding runs while on shift each year out of 8 career and 80 volunteers for volunteer responses.

    I have been doing this for over 30 years and always made a hihgh percentage of runs on every department on which I have served.

    But even with that I manage to live a very balanced life and will skip calls if i have decided to relax and have a couple of beers, spend time at home with my wife, play golf, go into town to see a movie or have dinner or 50 other things that I do to keep everything in focus.

    Now to the point of my post.

    The fact that you want to be taken by "the beast" tells me that you do live in some fantasyland. Having been on having been on departments where an LODD have occurred i can tell you that the emotional toll on the department and your brothers is significant, and is not in any way easy to deal with. And it's far worse on the family. It leaves scars, and for you to be wish to be "taken buy the beast" tells me that yopu are selfish and have no regard for your brothers or your family.

    Maybe the idea of dying a hero and having abig fire department funeral with the procession rolling through town turns you on. maybe you want your life to end like Ladder 49 or Backdraft. If you truly knew the price that your brothers will pay for your wish you will never, and I mean NEVER make that statement again.

    I have had friends die as an LODD. I have been at scene where 2 members of neighboring departments died in a burned out hotel and thier bodies were found by chance. Please never make that statement again.
    suuumbeatch -I agree with LA -watch them flying pigs
    ?

  4. #404
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    and kenny -sadly you sound like the firefighter equivlent of the fat guy in his moms basement playing xbox thinking he is a knight in shining armor
    ?

  5. #405
    Forum Member EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    3,065

    Default

    I am trying to figure out how Kenny has supposedly been at this for 30-plus years, yet he posted a photo of his first pager--a Minitor II, which was state of the art in the early 1990's when I started.

    And I am soooooooooooo with LaFireEducator on this LODD stuff. I am thoroughly sickened by that macho garbage.

    Is this guy for real?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  6. #406
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I am trying to figure out how Kenny has supposedly been at this for 30-plus years, yet he posted a photo of his first pager--a Minitor II, which was state of the art in the early 1990's when I started.

    And I am soooooooooooo with LaFireEducator on this LODD stuff. I am thoroughly sickened by that macho garbage.

    Is this guy for real?

    Maybe he is back from the future
    ?

  7. #407
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Kenny, dude ease up man. You're headed for burnout.
    Have been doing this for a long time. Never felt burn out.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Our message is not that someone should be releasing you from this level of activity. It is that you are doing so at the risk of alienating your family and missing out on the many other things there are to do in life.
    So because I have missed 3-4 family events in my whole life, I am alienating my family?

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I was pretty shocked to see you say that your family came after the fire department. So what? I love my department, love to train, love to respond, and I even tolerate the fundraising. If I left that department tomorrow, the hole I leave would be filled. I am not so egotistical as to think I am irreplaceable.
    Nice to see you have enough people in your area that are just dying to join the department. If I left my department tomorrow, it would be a hindering gap. Same goes for 4-5 other members.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I, too, have had to split from birthday parties and Christmas day to respond to calls. But the pager did not accompany me to baby deliveries, funerals, my eldest girl's baptism, or other major, irreplaceable things.
    I would rather miss a birth of a life to save a life.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    By your own words, you have five guys out of 40 who respond. That is awful. It is time that you and your chief did some butt-chewing and house-cleaning.
    We have 5 guys that ALWAYS respond out of 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Kenny,

    I wanted to believe there was hope for you but you are every bit as stubborn and ignorant as the Junior you rallied behind.
    Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about you.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Waste your life trying to be a super hero.
    I never claimed to be a super hero. I am a firefighter. And that is far from a waste of time.


    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Waste your life trying to convinvce yourself your JOB is Firefighter when the truth is you are a VOLUNTEER,
    And it is attitudes like that that hurt the volunteer departments. I am a firefighter. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    not that there is anything wrong with that.
    You seem to act like there is.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    But you telling people you are a firefighter when they ask you what you do implies you are a career firefighter and that, no matter how much you don't see the difference, is a LIE.
    So because you get paid and I do not makes me not a firefighter? How sad. Odd that only career guys have a hang up with volunteers not calling themselves volunteers. When a firefighter in the area dies (in action or not), the paper says "Firefighter (name here) passed away..." Not "Volunteer Firefighter..."




    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Not a half truth, not a misunderstanding, not a slip of the tongue...It is a bald faced LIE.
    No, if I told them I was a race car driver, That would be a bold face lie. I AM a firefighter. Nothing lying about that.


    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    And for you not to see the difference between a career firefighter where it is his occupation, and you as a volunteer where it is normally done in someone's spare time shows how completely delusional you are.
    For you to not see that they are both the same, just one person gets paid and the other does not makes you ignorant.


    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    By the way, I'll be sure to tell those cops they don't meet some podunk volly firefighters standards for being a cop. I am sure they will go right into the fetal position and cry themselves to sleep over what YOU think about them.
    Maybe they should.


    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You may be old and retired but it appears the wisdom of age has completely escaped you...
    It is the wisdom of age that has taught me to act the way I act. The fire service has lost all it's loyalty over the hundreds of years. People like you that feel there is more important things to do then to respond to calls has killed the service.


    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    You know what Kenny? I bet I can describe you to a tee. You said sitting around the house thinking of what to do would drive you crazy...I would bet you are the guy who worked at the mill, or the bank, or the grocery store or whatever and your WHOLE LIFE was your job.
    That is what life is. You work to make money to pay bills and support yourself and family.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    No outside interests, no hobbies because your job was your identity.
    I enjoyed and still enjoy many outside interest. I build models and do model railroading. I do photography, I was a mechanic at one time and still tinker with cars. I used to fly now and then until I decided to give it up.


    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    When that got taken away you needed to replace that because without something to identify yourself with you had absolutely nothing in your life. So now you are KENNY SUPER VOLLY!! The guy that the FD simply can't survive without...
    When what got taken away? Nothing was taken away. I choose to retire. I could have stayed on my job another 10 years if I wanted.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Prove me wrong...
    Just did.


    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    God willing I will be taken by the beast.

    This statement botghers the living crap out of me.

    The fact that you want to be taken by "the beast" tells me that you do live in some fantasyland. Having been on having been on departments where an LODD have occurred i can tell you that the emotional toll on the department and your brothers is significant, and is not in any way easy to deal with. And it's far worse on the family. It leaves scars, and for you to be wish to be "taken buy the beast" tells me that yopu are selfish and have no regard for your brothers or your family.
    Would much rather die doing the job I love then to fall asleep in bed and just never wake up.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Sorry, Kenny, that is absolutely frakked. If that is your mindset.. get the hell out now before you take someone out with you.
    Oh yes. Because I am so eager to just die tomorrow. Jesus man. Think before you speak. It will make you look less retarded.

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Go away Kenny...stop posting your drivel.
    **** off FyredUp. Stop acting like Junior.

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    and kenny -sadly you sound like the firefighter equivlent of the fat guy in his moms basement playing xbox thinking he is a knight in shining armor

    The difference is I have been out and lived my life and seen the world. I do not pretend to be a firefighter like most vollies do.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    I am trying to figure out how Kenny has supposedly been at this for 30-plus years, yet he posted a photo of his first pager--a Minitor II, which was state of the art in the early 1990's when I started.
    Yes, that was my first pager. That does not mean I had just joined. I had a radio before the pager, and still do. The pager was issued as back up.

    Sorry if that confuses you. I will try to speak slower next time so you can understand better.







    I am so sorry that my being dedicated to my JOB bothers some of you. I am sorry that most of you look at volunteers as a joke and "just some guys that do it in their spare time." But to me it is serious business. The fire departments started with volunteers. How do you think it would have been back then if people felt it was ok to just show up when nothing else was going on in their life?

    To call someone just a volunteer firefighter is degrading. We are firefighters first. That is the JOB and role we took in life. And seeing how we are the majority, I would say we have the ruling on this.

  8. #408
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Dang LA! This may be the best post you have ever put here on the pages of FH.com!!
    I was thinking the same thing. Really glad to see you be the first to get it posted.

    Personally, I think kenny is either OCD or a troll. Leaning toward troll at the moment.

    "Taken by the beast." Give me a break. I've been around firefighters around the US most of my life and never heard that line. Oh, well. Probably not a potential customer I could work with anyway.

    (To tell the truth, I think is it Snowball under a false flag. He is a devious b%$#^$^, I just don't know if he is this creative.)

  9. #409
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Kenny... your behavior and posting style is no better thn Junior 22 or Dave whatever his name was from some podunk town in South Carolina who thought he was God's gift to the fire service.

    By the way.. you claim that being called a volunteer is "degrading" yet in the same paragraph you say that "we are the majority"...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Personally, I think kenny is either OCD or a troll. Leaning toward troll at the moment.
    Personally I think you are a rude little punk that needs to learn a little respect. If you want to be a lazy half *** firefighter and only respond when it is convenient, then go for it. I am sure you make everyone proud.

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    "Taken by the beast." Give me a break. I've been around firefighters around the US most of my life and never heard that line. Oh, well. Probably not a potential customer I could work with anyway.
    I have been around firefighters most my life and never heard lots of terms that are used in other parts of the country. What's your point? Oh you don't have one. Just a disrespectful kid that was not raised properly.


    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Kenny... your behavior and posting style is no better thn Junior 22 or Dave whatever his name was from some podunk town in South Carolina who thought he was God's gift to the fire service.
    Yeah well, your attitude about volunteers is no better then Juniors that thinks he is superior.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    By the way.. you claim that being called a volunteer is "degrading" yet in the same paragraph you say that "we are the majority"...
    Volunteers are the majority. 70% of the country is covered by volunteers. But we are still firefighters. No different then career except they get paid, and get all the grants and money they want and get all the fame and glory. The rest of us do it because it is in our hearts, not our wallets.

  11. #411
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    I will try this again...

    You telling people your "job" is being a firefighter is no different than the guy who races dirt track on Saturday night but works at the Tasty Freeze M-F telling everyone he is a race car driver when asked "so what do you do?". This is a misrepresentation issue and why you don't see that I don't understand.

    Although we are talking about the guy who would drop his new born child back into mom's arms (who hasn't even caught her breath from all the pushing" just to be the first one on scene at the fire alarm activation at Billy Bob's Stop N' Shop. "Sorry Doc, gotta go! Cut that cord for me, won't ya?"

    You seriously sound unstable. Seek professional help.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  12. #412
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KennyTheFireGuy View Post
    Personally I think you are a rude little punk that needs to learn a little respect. If you want to be a lazy half *** firefighter and only respond when it is convenient, then go for it. I am sure you make everyone proud.
    Punk? Rude? Lazy? Excuse me but, instantly resorting to name calling is about as lazy, rude and punkish as I can imagine. However, please do go ahead and make a total ***** of yourself. I find it entertaining.


    I have been around firefighters most my life and never heard lots of terms that are used in other parts of the country. What's your point? Oh you don't have one. Just a disrespectful kid that was not raised properly.
    As a matter of fact, I do have a point. And, not to be disrespectful, I don't assume to be more knowledgeable about a subject than someone I have never met just because mommy lets me use the computer. However, having read your posts it is reasonably certain that I have probably sold more firetrucks than you have ever really seen. More than likely, I have coupled more fire hose than you have ever held. I am absolutely certain I have met more firefighters than you.

    Save that kid crap for someone who buys into your line of bovine excrement. I have had firefighters from the entire US brag to me and none of them have come close to your line. Probably because they were looking me in the eye at the time.


    Yeah well, your attitude about volunteers is no better then Juniors that thinks he is superior.
    Obviously, reading comprehension is not your forte. Gonzo did not slur vollies.

    (C'mon Snowball. Admit it. You're trollin', aren't you?)


    Volunteers are the majority. 70% of the country is covered by volunteers. But we are still firefighters. No different then career except they get paid, and get all the grants and money they want and get all the fame and glory. The rest of us do it because it is in our hearts, not our wallets.
    Hooh rah.

    This horse has been flogged. It has been beaten to death. So, what do you want? A memorial?

    Most of the people here are well past your stage of grief. Get over it.

    If you must climb up on that cross, we can probably find someone with a 12 pound maul to drive the 16 penny nails. Heck, we might even find a truckie willing to throw a ladder so the priest can give you last rights. Just don't expect the pipes and drums.

    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, it was announced that Kenny was finally going to get his pager........ Kenny said he preferred his Plectron because that is what real firefighters use.
    Last edited by firepundit; 11-14-2012 at 01:22 AM.

  13. #413
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I will try this again...

    You telling people your "job" is being a firefighter is no different than the guy who races dirt track on Saturday night but works at the Tasty Freeze M-F telling everyone he is a race car driver when asked "so what do you do?". This is a misrepresentation issue and why you don't see that I don't understand.
    Now try this again... Me telling people my job is a firefighter is no different then the career guy that is a firefighter and on his days off works at the tasty Freeze to earn a few extra bucks. I WORK as a firefighter. That is my job. It is not a hobby. It is not play time. You seem to have a hard time accepting that just because someone does something for free does not make that their job. Go tell that to the people that volunteer at the Salvation Army 6 days a week.


    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Although we are talking about the guy who would drop his new born child back into mom's arms (who hasn't even caught her breath from all the pushing" just to be the first one on scene at the fire alarm activation at Billy Bob's Stop N' Shop. "Sorry Doc, gotta go! Cut that cord for me, won't ya?"
    You guys love to twist things around don't you. I never said I had to be the first one on scene. And there is a big difference in "RUSHING" to an alarm call vs "We have arrived on scene and have flames coming out the side window." Stop pulling stuff out of your butt just to make yourself sound better.


    FYI. You know. It has only become a fairly recent thing (1980's) to even allow fathers into the delivery room as a standard. So without having any information as the when my children were born, you can assume that it is possible I was not in the delivery room and the "doc" would have been the one cutting the cord. Just a little food for thought.

  14. #414
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    As a matter of fact, I do have a point. And, not to be disrespectful, I don't assume to be more knowledgeable about a subject than someone I have never met just because mommy lets me use the computer. However, having read your posts it is reasonably certain that I have probably sold more firetrucks than you have ever really seen. More than likely, I have coupled more fire hose than you have ever held. I am absolutely certain I have met more firefighters than you.
    Keep telling yourself that kid. Maybe one day you will grow up and learn some respect. Until then, go wash the hose lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Save that kid crap for someone who buys into your line of bovine excrement. I have had firefighters from the entire US brag to me and none of them have come close to your line. Probably because they were looking me in the eye at the time.
    Brag huh? Sounds like they were out for attention. Funny thing is I have not bragged about anything. I have mentioned my living habits and how I act in our department. Bragging is for children that want to look cool in front of their peers.[/QUOTE]

  15. #415
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    I wish I could find the scene from Heartbreak Kid where Eddie explains to Layla that volunteering for the enviornmental research people is not a job- you get paid for a job. Describes most people's feelings towards this perfectly.

    Notice how no one else is agreeing with you on this?

    If I found out any of my volunteers were going around telling people being a firefighter was their job when they in fact work somewhere else, they would face disciplinary action.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  16. #416
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Notice how no one else is agreeing with you on this?
    That's fine, they can live their life in the "we only respond when it's convenient" logic. I am many others will do our JOB 100% not holding anything back.

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    If I found out any of my volunteers were going around telling people being a firefighter was their job when they in fact work somewhere else, they would face disciplinary action.
    Yeah that's a great attitude. Treat them like they are just some low life wanna-be firefighter. try knocking that chip off your shoulder and thinking they could have 2 JOBS. One at their paid job and one as a firefighter they don't get paid for. Is that too hard fro you to wrap your mind around?
    Last edited by KennyTheFireGuy; 11-14-2012 at 02:14 AM.

  17. #417
    Forum Member snowball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Just North of South Central
    Posts
    2,740

    Default

    (C'mon Snowball. Admit it. You're trollin', aren't you?)
    Sorry guy, not me. Too many misspellings. I do appreciate the nod though. I only troll with humor.
    IAFF

  18. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Sorry guy, not me. Too many misspellings.
    Not a single one.

  19. #419
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Tell me Kenny how many flashy lights to you have on your automobile? How many 'I fear what you fight' t-shirts do you own?

  20. #420
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Volunteers are the majority. 70% of the country is covered by volunteers. But we are still firefighters. No different then career except they get paid, and get all the grants and money they want and get all the fame and glory. The rest of us do it because it is in our hearts, not our wallets.
    30% of the country and the majority of the population is protected by career firefighters... what is your point?

    By the way.. I work with career, volunteer and paid call firefighters in my per diem job at the Fire Academy. In the classroom and the drill yard, there is no differentiation.

    I have friends who are call and volunteer firefighters and I would have no problem walking though the gates of hell with them and back with only a garden hose and a squirt gun... you? Not so much.

    PS: you might want to look up your info on grant awards to FD's... many of them have "volunteer" before the words Fire Department.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pager Help
    By Junior22 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
  2. i'm looking for a pager
    By HFDEXP777 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 08:16 PM
  3. I need I pager.
    By Explorer12 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2001, 09:17 AM
  4. Need a pager?
    By matthewmints in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2001, 12:23 PM
  5. Need a pager??
    By matthewmints in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2001, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts