Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 First 12345613 ... Last
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    kind of screwed up priorities. And they can pack up but not go inside , I can see that working well.
    I dunno - I've been to more than a few fires where I needed a pack while running the pumper...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What does this mean? You can run, but not ride your bicycle? So you dont hit any curbs and fly over your handlebars or something?
    If they wear this type of Helmet then they can respond to the station on their bikes!

This Jr FF helmet includes a led light and a siren, for safety of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    I dunno - I've been to more than a few fires where I needed a pack while running the pumper...
    If you read the rules, they are aloowed to operate at vehicle fires and exterior handlines while in SCBA.

It's not uncommon for our juniors to pack up and perform the backup role on handline for both of these operations. It's a good way to give them some fire attack experience.

Seesm like a pretty comprehensive and well laid out system.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course you would.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    If you read the rules, they are aloowed to operate at vehicle fires and exterior handlines while in SCBA.

It's not uncommon for our juniors to pack up and perform the backup role on handline for both of these operations. It's a good way to give them some fire attack experience.

You're OK with a 16 year old kid operating a hose on a fully involved car fire?

Forum Member

And so it begins....again...
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Nope it doesn't have to begin at all. Frankly, I couldn't care less what LA or anyone else uses for staffing. Kids under the age of 5, elderly people with walkers, developmentally disabled chimpanzees, who cares?

The only time staffing of another fire department matters to me is when I call them for mutual aid. Then they have to meet MABAS if it goes to a box alarm and then must be an adult, and certified to at least FF1. It is pointless to point out liability and legality to people who simple don't give a damn.

So I shall not engage in another battle over this. But I may watch if you decide to!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

HELLO THE KID IS 14 YEARS OLD! But I guess that you make sure he was trained up to your specs so he'll be ok.
    Miller337 likes this.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    HELLO THE KID IS 14 YEARS OLD! But I guess that you make sure he was trained up to your specs so he'll be ok.
    Ohhhh......lordy.

I won't respond to LAFE. He's one of the many reasons the fire service will always be second in line to LE for funding. Can you imagine a 14 y/o being given the keys to a squad car and a gun? That's the analogy.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Ohhhh......lordy.

I won't respond to LAFE. He's one of the many reasons the fire service will always be second in line to LE for funding. Can you imagine a 14 y/o being given the keys to a squad car and a gun? That's the analogy.
    Well....... They did give Bull a car and a gun.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    It was something like they don't advise you to,but you may. Our rules our like this. http://upperleacockfire.org/documents/sog/Ch.17.pdf
    I don't want to be anywhere near a dept. like that. I hate having to deal with dead kids.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Well....... They did give Bull a car and a gun.
    Is he 14???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rescue_1 View Post
    You're OK with a 16 year old kid operating a hose on a fully involved car fire?
    Yes, I am OK with a trained 16-year old being a backup position (not the nozzle) under the supervision of senior personnel on a fully involved car fire. And I have no issues with him/her being switched out and on the nozzle for overhaul.

Forum Member

The rules of this department say a 14-year old cannot do this.

The rules say a 16-year old can. As posted above I have no issues with a 16-year old in a backup position under supervision on a line operating at a vehicle fire or exterior structural attack line.
    '
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-05-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Forum Member

Ohhhh......lordy.

First of all, I said 16-year old as this company states that specifically in their SOP, if you took the time to read it.

Secondly, limited fireground duties under specific circumstances under the supervision of a senior member is hardly the same thing.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-05-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Forum Member

Every one knows that there is this magic force field between the nozzle man and the BACKUP man. No danger there. Or maybe you just put only 6'-8" - 375 lb Bubba on the nozzle and tell the kid "stay close"
    ?

Forum Member

Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's 14 now...but joined fh.com in 2010 at the ripe age of 12? Says a lot about these forums...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

First of all, i said 16-year old as this company states that specifically in their SOP, if you took tile to read it.

Secondly, limited fireground duties under specific circumstances under the supervision of a senior member is hardly the same thing.
    You are incredible. Again, the analogy is a LEO having a 16 y/o as backup for a felony arrest or as backup to a LEO for a robbery in progress.

Un...effing....believable.

Keep talking so that we can continue to realize you have an effed up mindset.
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-05-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Forum Member

You are incredible. Again, the analogy is a LEO having a 16 y/o as backup for a felony arrest or as backup to a LEO for a robbery in progress.

Un...effing....believable.

Keep talking so that we can continue to realize you have an effed up mindset.
    Really don't see the comparison ... Sorry.

Oh that's right ..... 16 year olds can't belong to the union . Now I understand.

Forum Member

The rules say a 16-year old can. As posted above I have no issues with a 16-year old in a backup position under supervision on a line operating at a vehicle fire or exterior structural attack line.
    '
    So what happens when the unkown cargo in the back decides to blow and kill them both? Will you still be so quick to support putting a CHILD in harm's way?

Those of you questioning the training on LAFE's part, save your breath. This 16 year old back up man would hold just as much formal recognized fire training as his full out firefighters: none.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    So what happens when the unkown cargo in the back decides to blow and kill them both? Will you still be so quick to support putting a CHILD in harm's way?

Those of you questioning the training on LAFE's part, save your breath. This 16 year old back up man would hold just as much formal recognized fire training as his full out firefighters: none.
    Juniors also ride in all apparatus code 3 during response. And a greater percentage of firefighters are killed in apparatus accidents than incidents involving vehicle fires. So I gues they shouldn't be responding code 3 in the apparatus either?

As far as the other crap, I was going to respond. Decided not worth the effort.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is he 14???
    Some days I wished. With what I know now I be down right dangerous!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

'
    The poster says that he is 14 not 16. So what 16 old children are allowed to do on "his" dept. is a moot point.

But the fact that you have no problem allowing children in the hot zone says volumes about you. Considering that you have stated in the past that you would not risk a hair on your worthless hide to save someone, even your own wife, it's no wonder that you be willing to put children in harms way.
    Last edited by BULL321; 06-05-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

The poster says that he is 14 not 16. So what 16 old children are allowed to do on "his" dept. is a moot point.

But the fact that you have no problem allowing children in the hot zone says volumes about you. Considering that you have stated in the past that you would not risk a hair on your worthless hide to save someone, even your own wife, it's no wonder that you be willing to put children in harms way.
    And his department has specific guidelines regarding what he can do as a 14-year old as well.

As far as the other comment, nowhere did I say that risks should not be taken when the situation and the possibility of change on outcome justify it. That being said, that risk should not include firefighter injury.

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as the other comment, nowhere did I say that risks should not be taken when the situation and the possibility of change on outcome justify it. That being said, that risk should not include firefighter injury.
    Not in this thread, but you have in the past past many many times and you know it. You should have been a lawyer or a politician you would have gone far.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 20 First 12345613 ... Last

Thread Information