Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

Forum Member

I can show you reductions in fire activity in departments that have decided to pursue aggressive public education efforts, but you know that there is no way that I can show you a fire that never occurred because of public education.

Funny thing is that in both communities that I have instituted aggressive public education programs, as well as other communities where others have done the same, fires have dropped significantly within a year or two, even though neighboring communities didn't see a reduction and some even saw slight increases during the same time period.

If you beleive that firefighters seeing more fire duty is a good thing, and something a department should be proud of, that's your right. I guess I see a fire department's primary duty as education and the prevention of fires, and having a lot of responses and working fires generally indicates they are not taking that primary role seriously enough or not doing a very good job in terms of prevention and education.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I can show you reductions in fire activity in departments that have decided to pursue aggressive public education efforts, but you know that there is no way that I can show you a fire that never occurred because of public education.
    Is the reduction a causation, correlation, or coincidence? None of which proves your prevention efforts has prevented any fires.

Funny thing is that in both communities that I have instituted aggressive public education programs, as well as other communities where others have done the same, fires have dropped significantly within a year or two, even though neighboring communities didn't see a reduction and some even saw slight increases during the same time period.
    See above response.

If you beleive that firefighters seeing more fire duty is a good thing, and something a department should be proud of, that's your right. I guess I see a fire department's primary duty as education and the prevention of fires, and having a lot of responses and working fires generally indicates they are not taking that primary role seriously enough or not doing a very good job in terms of prevention and education.
    Not the topic.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Is the reduction a causation, correlation, or coincidence? None of which proves your prevention efforts has prevented any fires.

See above response.

Not the topic.
    Let's examine the critical flaw in your attempt to have a rational discussion with LAFE: He's incapable of participating in one...
    Chenzo likes this.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Let's examine the critical flaw in your attempt to have a rational discussion with LAFE: He's incapable of participating in one...
    No doubt. I always enjoyed this discussion with our preventioneers when I was working. One of our Fire Marshals told their staff that one prevention officer was equivalent to seven firefighters. Talk about a milk through the nose moment. Of course there was never any empirical proof submitted.

It's funny, our fire numbers have increased dramatically over the past 5 years. Oddly enough, so has our fire prevention and arson investigation work. It's weird because of all our arsonist, not a single one told us "if only some one had told me this is wrong", and I'm sure our prevention side has a pamphlet that on how to prevent your house from being struck by lightning. When budgets get cut we'd rather feet in boots and hose with water, not coloring books. Prevention and education is a very important side of every department. While declaring that an increase in fires is BECAUSE of poor education and prevention.... you've got to be absolutely clueless on what real departments face. Please, come teach the people about fire education here. I'd love to see your face when you realize how the real world works.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

There are so many factors that come into play when tracking increases or decreases of fire activity, that to go back over a five or even ten year span and say fires decreased because_______________ . You are not being realistic, many time the most important factor in a decrease in the numbers of fires is just pure luck (or fate howevier you want to look at it)
    But to thump your chest and claim "I did it" because of my prevention efforts is being dellusional.
    ?

Forum Member

Really.

If that's the way you think, there is simply no argueing with that logic.

Not the topic.
    True. We did get sidetracked and of course, that never happens on Firehouse.com.

By the way, you were the one that brought the number of fires you responded to into the discussion .......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    It's funny, our fire numbers have increased dramatically over the past 5 years. Oddly enough, so has our fire prevention and arson investigation work. It's weird because of all our arsonist, not a single one told us "if only some one had told me this is wrong", and I'm sure our prevention side has a pamphlet that on how to prevent your house from being struck by lightning. When budgets get cut we'd rather feet in boots and hose with water, not coloring books. Prevention and education is a very important side of every department. While declaring that an increase in fires is BECAUSE of poor education and prevention.... you've got to be absolutely clueless on what real departments face. Please, come teach the people about fire education here. I'd love to see your face when you realize how the real world works.
    Funny thing is probably understand more about why fires increase and decrease than you ever will, and yes, in some cases increases in fires have nothing to do with a departments prevention and education program. And yes arson is one of those reasons.

Never did I say that an increase in fire activity was due to a lack of a public education program, however, if a department that has no significant program in place, in most cases, would see much less of an increase as many times, there is a preventable element in any increase, even if just a part, in an increase in fire activity.

I'm sure that if you looked at data from departments with aggressive programs that have been cut, you would see, in most cases, an increase in fire activity.

That being said a professionally run public education operation will identify these causes that can be addressed through education and behavior modification and develop a perogram targeted at the relevant audience.

That being said when a district has similiar numbers to thier neighbors for a reasonable period of time, then adopts a aggressive approach to public education and prevention and sees it's fire drop while those same neighbors numbers remain consistant, the credit for the change can be given to the public education program.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    There are so many factors that come into play when tracking increases or decreases of fire activity, that to go back over a five or even ten year span and say fires decreased because_______________ . You are not being realistic, many time the most important factor in a decrease in the numbers of fires is just pure luck (or fate howevier you want to look at it)
    But to thump your chest and claim "I did it" because of my prevention efforts is being dellusional.
    Just saying what the command staff, both here and my previous department, about the decrease in fire activity as they credited it with prevention and education.

And yes, they see the value of prevention and the change it can make in fire activity.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Right. Because the Citizens have seen you azzholes in action and think to themselves "I am royally fooked if I ever have a fire and have to call these retards to come and put it out."
    This is actually a direct quote from LA's fire prevention/education pamphlet. Under which is written

"Supported by the 14 year old and up pager carrying Yard Breathers Association"
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    This is actually a direct quote from LA's fire prevention/education pamphlet. Under which is written

"Supported by the 14 year old and up pager carrying Yard Breathers Association"
    Ya, that's it.

Dumb***.

Ya, that's it.

Dumb***.
    Frack You!

You are a gutless wonder. "Mr. I will watch a mother and child burn up in a car all because I'm afraid I'll get a hang nail!"
    Maybe some of the old heads here have forgotten your past statements about your unwillingness to act and the newer members just don't know how big of a coward you are, but I'll never forget and will always remind them.

I don't know which is sadder the fact that you have openly admitted that you are more than willing to allow untrained civilians attempt to make a grab, while you stand by and watch, or the fact that you are more than willing to allow children go in harms way while you supervise from safety?
    Chenzo likes this.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Frack You!

You are a gutless wonder. "Mr. I will watch a mother and child burn up in a car all because I'm afraid I'll get a hang nail!"
    Maybe some of the old heads here have forgotten your past statements about your unwillingness to act and the newer members just don't know how big of a coward you are, but I'll never forget and will always remind them.

I don't know which is sadder the fact that you have openly admitted that you are more than willing to allow untrained civilians attempt to make a grab, while you stand by and watch, or the fact that you are more than willing to allow children go in harms way while you supervise from safety?
    Yes, my safety is important to me as I am conuted on to contribute towards bills and support of my children. And yes, when I'm not on-duty and not operating as a volunteer in either of my districts, and not eligable for workman's compensation coverage for medical bills and lost wages, being able to take care of my financial responsibilities does factor into my decision making process.

If you want to call that wrong, or cowardly, so be it, but that is and always will be my primary responsibility, and as such, I will (and have multiple times) assist off-duty when I have the ability to protect myself or fire conditions allow me to safely assist w/out PPE without risking the ability to deliver on the responsibilities I have to my family.

I do not and will not apoligize for that.

And I have no problem is stating that the safety of my personel does trump the safety of citizens when it comes to making operational decisions on the fireground while on duty. Given that the majority of the responders I supervise are volunteers my primary task is to make sure that they can go to work at their full-time job the following morning and they do not lose time from work due to an injury. I owe that to the famalies that rely on their full-time paycheck to take care of the bills, which yes, IMO, does trump the folks they are responding to.

As far as allowing "children to go in harm's way", I have no issues with allowing trained junior firefighters to particiapte in limited offensive fire operations under the supervision of senior personnel. Funny thing is, both my current and past departments feel the same way regarding giving juniors some real-world experience before they transition to full membership. I don't see that as irresponsible or dangerous as long as they are trained and prepared for the task, which they are.

I just find your personal attacks amusing and somewhat sad at the same time.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-06-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Funny thing is probably understand more about why fires increase and decrease than you ever will, and yes, in some cases increases in fires have nothing to do with a departments prevention and education program. And yes arson is one of those reasons.

Never did I say that an increase in fire activity was due to a lack of a public education program, however, if a department that has no significant program in place, in most cases, would see much less of an increase as many times, there is a preventable element in any increase, even if just a part, in an increase in fire activity.

I'm sure that if you looked at data from departments with aggressive programs that have been cut, you would see, in most cases, an increase in fire activity.

That being said a professionally run public education operation will identify these causes that can be addressed through education and behavior modification and develop a perogram targeted at the relevant audience.

That being said when a district has similiar numbers to thier neighbors for a reasonable period of time, then adopts a aggressive approach to public education and prevention and sees it's fire drop while those same neighbors numbers remain consistant, the credit for the change can be given to the public education program.

Just saying what the command staff, both here and my previous department, about the decrease in fire activity as they credited it with prevention and education.

And yes, they see the value of prevention and the change it can make in fire activity.

True. We did get sidetracked and of course, that never happens on Firehouse.com.

By the way, you were the one that brought the number of fires you responded to into the discussion .......
    In response to one of your bogus claims.

So show us a structure that hasn't burned down because of your education efforts.
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-06-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Forum Member

In response to one of your bogus claims.

So show us a structure that hasn't burned down because of your education efforts.
    I'm sure many. You get a hard on off of you thinking your the best! And that you know everything. I can't believe your in my brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior22 View Post
    I'm sure many. You get a hard on off of you thinking your the best! And that you know everything. I can't believe your in my brotherhood.
    Don't worry, we aren't or weren't. You're not in any brotherhood....yet.
    Weruj1 likes this.

Forum Member

Don't worry, we aren't or weren't. You're not in any brotherhood....yet.
    EXCUSE ME! Once you join! You are. I feel bad for the nozzle man that has you on the hose line. Your telling me that you could save this. http://www.bpfd1.org/index.php?optio...ent&Itemid=64#

Forum Member

EXCUSE ME! Once you join! You are. I feel bad for the nozzle man that has you on the hose line. Your telling me that you could save this. http://www.bpfd1.org/index.php?optio...ent&Itemid=64#
    Son, don't get into a battle with this guy. It just ain't worth your time.

Forum Member

Son, don't get into a battle with this guy. It just ain't worth your time.
    Ok. To bad you just couldn't ban someone from a thread. Hey! I got my Minitor V, and I have a question LAFire. It's a 2 channel. A and B are for my station! And C and D are for county Fire and EMS dispatch. Is there anyway I can make it scan both at one time?

Forum Member

Ok. To bad you just couldn't ban someone from a thread. Hey! I got my Minitor V, and I have a question LAFire. It's a 2 channel. A and B are for my station! And C and D are for county Fire and EMS dispatch. Is there anyway I can make it scan both at one time?
    I have no idea as we are all issued portables. I haven't used a pager in about 10 years.

I would assume there is a scan option but I can't tell you that for sure.

Thread Information