Closed Thread
Page 8 of 20 First ... 56789101118 ... Last
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

  1. #176
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And I am sure that I could point out many, many times where your suppression efforts, or any departments suppression efforts had no impact on the outcome. The occupants died. The home or building burned and it was bulldozed, or the business never reopened and never employed anyone again.
    Not really. I can unequivocally state that my suppression efforts helped put the fire out every time. What the owners or occupants did with the structure wasn't my concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    This is a discussion that will never have a end. Consistently declining fires, especially if the decline is significantly more than neighboring, similiar departments, do show the effectiveness of public education and fire prevention. You disagree.
    For good reason. You've yet to prove your point on the value of prevention with anything empirical.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I could ask the same of you. Show me where a 4-man company has saved more lives an property than 3-man companies. And I'm not talking about simulated fires that have demonstrated that they can perform more tasks or the same tasks quicker..... Where is some actual statistical data showing less fire loss and a greater number of life saves?
    There are studies that show the effectiveness of 3 vs 4 person companies.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    FDNY has been reducing staffing yet fewer civilians died in a fire in NYC this year than in any other year. Why? If you want to connect staffing to effectiveness, please explain that piece of data.
    We're not discussing FDNY or their staffing. We're discussing your claim that prevention has prevented fires.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  2. #177
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

    Since I have taken over public education/prevention, our structure fires have dropped every year except for one.

    Of course, you fail to take into account my 20 years plus in other much busier departments (in terms of structure fires) and places,
    Wow....did you break your arm from slapping yourself on the back for the wonderful job you have done?

    Pretty arrogant but I'm sure that you, and you alone are the reason.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  3. #178
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Bobby. you make this so easy...
    www.lrc.fema.gov/downloads/coll_dallasfire.pdf
    iaff3499.com/L93staff/Staffing%20Literature%203499.pdf
    www.lafayettefirefighters.com/staffing.htm
    www.powellriverfirefighters.ca/1710qa4.pdf
    web.cityofwoodland.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  4. #179
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Wow....did you break your arm from slapping yourself on the back for the wonderful job you have done?

    Pretty arrogant but I'm sure that you, and you alone are the reason.
    Never said that I alone was the reason.

    However, before I did assume the responsibility for managing and expanding the program in both situations prevention programs were limited and uncoordinated, and generally only done at the request of the customer.

    And in both situations the command staff has credited me for directing and developing coordinated programs that reached out to the community to develop an on-going yearly program.

    That being said, yes, I am very good at my job.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  5. #180
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Never said that I alone was the reason.

    However, before I did assume the responsibility for managing and expanding the program in both situations prevention programs were limited and uncoordinated, and generally only done at the request of the customer.

    And in both situations the command staff has credited me for directing and developing coordinated programs that reached out to the community to develop an on-going yearly program.

    That being said, yes, I am very good at my job.
    Truly a legend in your own mind....
    ATFDFF and rm1524 like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  6. #181
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Truly a legend in your own mind....
    One of a breed.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  7. #182
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Never said that I alone was the reason.

    However, before I did assume the responsibility for managing and expanding the program in both situations prevention programs were limited and uncoordinated, and generally only done at the request of the customer.

    And in both situations the command staff has credited me for directing and developing coordinated programs that reached out to the community to develop an on-going yearly program.

    That being said, yes, I am very good at my job.
    I feel bad that I dumped all that old lead based paint in the creek a few years back, it must have run WAY downstream and ended up in Bossier parishes drinking water.
    ?

  8. #183
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I feel bad that I dumped all that old lead based paint in the creek a few years back, it must have run WAY downstream and ended up in Bossier parishes drinking water.
    It all makes sense now.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  9. #184
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,257

    Default

    Wow all of this because a kid was getting a silly pager! He needs a pager like we all need another head!

    I am surprised that this thread ahs lasted this long before being locked for being useless.



    Junior 22 use your time more wisely and study the books so you can graduate some day. Leave this buisness to the older members. When I was 14 I had girls on my mind!
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 06-11-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  10. #185
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Wow all of this because a kid was getting a silly pager! He needs a pager like we all need another head!

    I am surprised that this thread ahs lasted this long before being locked for being useless.



    Junior 22 use your time more wisely and study the books so you can graduate some day. Leave this buisness to the older members. When I was 14 I had girls on my mind!
    I'm sure he does as well. And is counting on a pager being able to show girls that he is important. I think both parties are in for a disappointment.

    And I agree that he should concentrate on his grades. When I left my old job over 2/3rds of our academy had college degrees with many being at the graduate level. In addition to having life experience in little groups like the Army Rangers or Navy SEALS, or working in the private sector in any number of professions.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  11. #186
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Junior ...

    Hit the books and be involved in the fire department.

    Perform the tasks that your department allows you to perform.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  12. #187
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Wow all of this because a kid was getting a silly pager! He needs a pager like we all need another head!
    After looking over this thread, I'm pretty sure "junior" isn't a "he" at all, but a confused young lady. The hysterics give her away in almost every post.

    BTW...she's still more of a man than LaFireMiseducator. I mean, seriously; this is the guy who would let a child burn to death in a vehicle fire without lifting a finger to help. You really think he would think twice about sending children into a burning house while he stood at a safe distance?

  13. #188
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I feel bad that I dumped all that old lead based paint in the creek a few years back, it must have run WAY downstream and ended up in Bossier parishes drinking water.
    Yeah...and mixed with all the lead paint already down there.

  14. #189
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    After looking over this thread, I'm pretty sure "junior" isn't a "he" at all, but a confused young lady. The hysterics give her away in almost every post.

    BTW...she's still more of a man than LaFireMiseducator. I mean, seriously; this is the guy who would let a child burn to death in a vehicle fire without lifting a finger to help. You really think he would think twice about sending children into a burning house while he stood at a safe distance?
    And where exactly did I state that juniors should be making interior attacks on burning structures?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  15. #190
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And where exactly did I state that juniors should be making interior attacks on burning structures?
    Boy, nothing gets by you, does it?

  16. #191
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And where exactly did I state that juniors should be making interior attacks on burning structures?
    In other words...

    "You are spot on with your assumption I would leave the burning child in the car. The other part, well I will need you to provide more evidence to me that I suck."
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  17. #192
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    [QUOTE=GTRider245;1331089]In other words...

    Doesn't really matter what I would do in that situation.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  18. #193
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    [QUOTE=LaFireEducator;1331101]
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    In other words...

    Doesn't really matter what I would do in that situation.
    It does if the victim is depending on you to perform a rescue...
    scfire86, BULL321 and ATFDFF like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  19. #194
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,207

    Default

    [QUOTE=LaFireEducator;1331101]
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    In other words...

    Doesn't really matter what I would do in that situation.
    I have asked you this before and will ask you again...WHY are you in the firefighting career? You feel no obligation as a human being, let alone a firefighter, to risk your own safety to save anyone, including your own family.
    scfire86, BULL321 and Chenzo like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  20. #195
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    [QUOTE=DeputyChiefGonzo;1331105]
    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

    It does if the victim is depending on you to perform a rescue...
    If I'm off-duty or out of my district the victim shouldn't be depending on me, or any other off-duty personnel.

    What if I had been coming back from a praty and maybe had a couple of drinks? Not drunk at all but just a tad impaired. Still obligated to act in your mind? Or maybe bummed a shoulder a little bit the day before. Still obligated?

    The fact is when somebody is off-duty, they are just that. If they choose to act, that's fine, but there is no obligation to act and likely they wiill have to personally deal with the concequences.

    Again, sad to say but the victim got him/herself into the situation. Off-duty or out-of-district members are not responders. They are just plain folks who have a choice.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  21. #196
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    [QUOTE=FyredUp;1331111]
    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

    I have asked you this before and will ask you again...WHY are you in the firefighting career? You feel no obligation as a human being, let alone a firefighter, to risk your own safety to save anyone, including your own family.
    I feel an obligation to do something but not an obligation to die or become seriously injured doing it. We do not owe that to the public. We owe them are best shot with the resources and training we possess, but us walking away from the incident.

    The public has no right to expect that we will attempt a rescue on-duty without adequate resources or training. If I'm not trained in water rescue and not equipped for water rescue, it's not fair for the public to expect me to go into the water, as an example. I'll do what I can from shore with the resources on the truck to attempt a rescue, but no firefighter should be expected to go in-water, again as an example, unless they have been trained and equipped to do so. Same with confined space, technical rescue, collapse rescue, cave rescue or any other situation, including rescue from a fire when the resources just aren't there. Yes, I want to do what I can but my primary responsibility is to my family to come home after every single shift or call.

    That's especially true when operating off-duty without PPE and resources. Sorry, but they got themsleves into the situation and it's not my responsbility to jeapordize my responsibility to my family to get them out of it. I'll do what I can as I have many, many times in the past, but at the end of the day, I am walking away. Call that cowardice. Call that selfish. Call that not in the traditions of the fire service but my family does come first.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  22. #197
    Forum Member
    Chenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rural WI
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    I don't even know how to start this post so the hell with it, I'll jump right in.

    LAFE is a spineless coward who won't lift a finger to help anyone, on or off duty, because he might break a nail, and he is such a selfish **** that the only person that matters is himself.

    Junior22 is a fracking nutjob, who already thinks WAYYY too much of him/herself, and will not make it in the fire service due to his/her p iss poor attitude towards everyone.

    Carry on. I expect a response from LAFE about how he doesn't believe in the need to save someone off duty. I also seem to remember a response where LAFE wasn't going to make any sort of interior attack if there weren't garbage cans at the house, or a vehicle in the driveway. Because GOD FORBID a child is home alone, or the car is parked in the garage.

    What a freaking joke. This whole topic is a freaking joke.
    RyanK63 likes this.

  23. #198
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    It's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair. YOU ARE A MUTT!!!

  24. #199
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

    If I'm off-duty or out of my district the victim shouldn't be depending on me, or any other off-duty personnel.

    What if I had been coming back from a praty and maybe had a couple of drinks? Not drunk at all but just a tad impaired. Still obligated to act in your mind? Or maybe bummed a shoulder a little bit the day before. Still obligated?

    The fact is when somebody is off-duty, they are just that. If they choose to act, that's fine, but there is no obligation to act and likely they wiill have to personally deal with the concequences.

    Again, sad to say but the victim got him/herself into the situation. Off-duty or out-of-district members are not responders. They are just plain folks who have a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

    I feel an obligation to do something but not an obligation to die or become seriously injured doing it. We do not owe that to the public. We owe them are best shot with the resources and training we possess, but us walking away from the incident.

    The public has no right to expect that we will attempt a rescue on-duty without adequate resources or training. If I'm not trained in water rescue and not equipped for water rescue, it's not fair for the public to expect me to go into the water, as an example. I'll do what I can from shore with the resources on the truck to attempt a rescue, but no firefighter should be expected to go in-water, again as an example, unless they have been trained and equipped to do so. Same with confined space, technical rescue, collapse rescue, cave rescue or any other situation, including rescue from a fire when the resources just aren't there. Yes, I want to do what I can but my primary responsibility is to my family to come home after every single shift or call.

    That's especially true when operating off-duty without PPE and resources. Sorry, but they got themsleves into the situation and it's not my responsbility to jeapordize my responsibility to my family to get them out of it. I'll do what I can as I have many, many times in the past, but at the end of the day, I am walking away. Call that cowardice. Call that selfish. Call that not in the traditions of the fire service but my family does come first.
    Two of the finest pieces of bovine scatology I've ever read. I'm happy you weren't on my crew. We'd have sent you home with the just pumped the neighbor's cat look on your face.
    Jasper 45, BULL321, Chenzo and 1 others like this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  25. #200
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I don't even know how to start this post so the hell with it, I'll jump right in.

    LAFE is a spineless coward who won't lift a finger to help anyone, on or off duty, because he might break a nail, and he is such a selfish **** that the only person that matters is himself.

    Junior22 is a fracking nutjob, who already thinks WAYYY too much of him/herself, and will not make it in the fire service due to his/her p iss poor attitude towards everyone.

    Carry on. I expect a response from LAFE about how he doesn't believe in the need to save someone off duty. I also seem to remember a response where LAFE wasn't going to make any sort of interior attack if there weren't garbage cans at the house, or a vehicle in the driveway. Because GOD FORBID a child is home alone, or the car is parked in the garage.

    What a freaking joke. This whole topic is a freaking joke.

    Yup. You're right.

    Have a great night.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 20 First ... 56789101118 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Pager Help
    By Junior22 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
  2. i'm looking for a pager
    By HFDEXP777 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 08:16 PM
  3. I need I pager.
    By Explorer12 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2001, 09:17 AM
  4. Need a pager?
    By matthewmints in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2001, 12:23 PM
  5. Need a pager??
    By matthewmints in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2001, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register