Closed Thread
Page 9 of 20 First ... 678910111219 ... Last
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: I'm getting a Pager?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Two of the finest pieces of bovine scatology I've ever read. I'm happy you weren't on my crew. We'd have sent you home with the just pumped the neighbor's cat look on your face.
    Really doesn't matter what you or your crew thinks of me.

And what you do in CA with cats should probably stay in CA.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    What if I had been coming back from a praty and maybe had a couple of drinks? Not drunk at all but just a tad impaired. Still obligated to act in your mind?
    Whats a "PRATY"? Were you/are you intoxicated as you write this crap? There must be a two drink minimum before you start typing.

For an "educator" your spelling sucks.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

If I'm off-duty or out of my district the victim shouldn't be depending on me, or any other off-duty personnel.
    Of course not.. you might break a nail or get a boo boo.... The rest of us will do the right thing.

What if I had been coming back from a praty and maybe had a couple of drinks? Not drunk at all but just a tad impaired. Still obligated to act in your mind? Or maybe bummed a shoulder a little bit the day before. Still obligated?
    As a matter of fact, I was at a party a few years ago and had just finished a beer (my second that afternoon) when a fire broke out in the bathroom of the host's home. I told someone to call 911 on their cell phone, grabbed a garden hose and knocked the fire down from the hallway wearing shorts and a T shirt. The Beverly FD showed up and overhauled the area. I got a thank you from the homeowner and the Brothers for making their job easier. I suppose if this happened in "Bobbyville Parish", you would have me written up , suspended or terminated.

Bumming a shoulder? Toughen up, creampuff....

The fact is when somebody is off-duty, they are just that. If they choose to act, that's fine, but there is no obligation to act and likely they wiill have to personally deal with the concequences.
    What consequences? Please do tell.. what are you going to do if one of your people does an off duty rescue? Are you going to "whack their pee pee" and get them reprimanded/suspended/fired? Make them a pariah?

Again, sad to say but the victim got him/herself into the situation. Off-duty or out-of-district members are not responders. They are just plain folks who have a choice.
    It's the victim's fault that the car was involved in an accident and caught fire?
    It's the victim's fault if a fire broke out in a neighbor's apartment?
    It's the victim's fault if their home was struck by lightning and caught fire?

You can play the "blame the victim" game all you want in an attempt to cover up your lack of compassion, cowardice and downright refusal to do your duty.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 06-12-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Really doesn't matter what you or your crew thinks of me.
    No it doesn't. We wouldn't have tolerated someone like you on our crew. You would have been a detriment to those of us who take the job seriously.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

What consequences? Please do tell.. what are you going to do if one of your people does an off duty rescue? Are you going to "whack their pee pee" and get them reprimanded/suspended/fired? Make them a pariah?

No, but if they are injured it's likely that their department will not cover the medical expenses. If they are injured, it's likely that their department will not cover the lost time from work under workman's compensation.

Those are the consequences that the family may have to deal with - lost time from work, lost wages and medical bills.

AS a full-time member, as we are now civil service, my lost time from work will be covered as required by civil service up to 364 days. The volunteer staff has no such protection. In fact workman's comp provides no lost time protection for them at all, even if they are injured operating with their own department.

I really don't care what my members do off-duty as it really doesn't impact me. And no, they would not be disciplined for acting as such.

That being said, if one of our full-time members were hurt performing a rescue out of the district, and was injured, the department would be on the hook under civil service law for paying him/her while he/she was out, while at the same time paying for somebody to cover, so in that sense, it does have an impact on department operations.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-13-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Forum Member

No, but if they are injured it's likely that their department will not cover the medical expenses. If they are injured, it's likely that their department will not cover the lost time from work under workman's compensation.

Those are the consequences that the family may have to deal with - lost time from work, lost wages and medical bills.

AS a full-time member, as we are now civil service, my lost time from work will be covered as required by civil service up to 364 days. The volunteer staff has no such protection. In fact workman's comp provides no lost time protection for them at all, even if they are injured operating with their own department.

I really don't care what my members do off-duty as it really doesn't impact me. And no, they would not be disciplined for acting as such.

That being said, if one of our full-time members were hurt performing a rescue out of the district, and was injured, the department would be on the hook under civil service law for paying him/her while he/she was out, while at the same time paying for somebody to cover, so in that sense, it does have an impact on department operations.
    More excuses as to why you're considered a joke. Thankfully those in the fire service with your mindset are outliers.
    Jasper 45 likes this.

Forum Member

More excuses as to why you're considered a joke. Thankfully those in the fire service with your mindset are outliers.
    Just out of curiousity, what would you suggest that members who take your advice and act out of district do to pay the medical expenses not covered by personal insurance, assuming they have it, if they get hurt while performing as such? What you suggest they do to pay the bills if they run out of vacation or sick time at thier place of employment, or worse, have no vacation time to take?

I don't think the famalies relying on that patycheck would consider that a joke. I don't think they would be laughing if they had to pay a significant amount of money towards medical bills that likely is needed for food, mortagage and other expenses.

Maybe to you they are not an issue but I suspect to most career and probably all volunteer personnel, the cost of getting hurt while operating out a district is something that they probably would not have a chuckle over.

I take the job, and my responsbilities just as seriously as anyone, however, i also understand my primary responsbility to is to make sure that my wife and kids are taken care of first. Again, maybe the job is more important to you than they are, but in my world, the bills need to be paid, and that may mean thinking very seriously about to concequences to my family when acting off the clock and out-of-the diastrict where I don't have wage and medical protections.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-13-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Forum Member

Just out of curiousity, what would you suggest that members who take your advice and act out of district do to pay the medical expenses not covered by personal insurance, assuming they have it, if they get hurt while performing as such? What you suggest they do to pay the bills if they run out of vacation or sick time at thier place of employment, or worse, have no vacation time to take?

I don't think the famalies relying on that patycheck would consider that a joke. I don't think they would be laughing if they had to pay a significant amount of money towards medical bills that likely is needed for food, mortagage and other expenses.

Maybe to you they are not an issue but I suspect to most career and probably all volunteer personnel, the cost of getting hurt while operating out a district is something that they probably would not have a chuckle over.

I take the job, and my responsbilities just as seriously as anyone, however, i also understand my primary responsbility to is to make sure that my wife and kids are taken care of first. Again, maybe the job is more important to you than they are, but in my world, the bills need to be paid, and that may mean thinking very seriously about to concequences to my family when acting off the clock and out-of-the diastrict where I don't have wage and medical protections.
    Then those who claim to be firefighters because they want to help people should step aside for those of us who actually did.

I can come up with "what if" scenarios all day just like you. You've made it very clear you aren't interested in being a firefighter. If you are truly that afraid of getting hurt, do something else. Maybe you should pursue a career in baking french pastry or small animal grooming.

Your excuse making only continues to certify you as a joke.
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Forum Member

Your excuse making only continues to certify you as a joke.
    I don't think he's a joke, I think he's a pathetic yellow-spined chicken schit.
    BULL321 and Chenzo like this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I don't think he's a joke, I think he's a pathetic yellow-spined chicken schit.
    Deleted.

If you want to resort to name calling, have at it.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-13-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Deleted.

If you want to resort to name calling, have at it.
    I don't see it as name calling at all. It is 100% his, and many other's, direct perception of you through all the absolutely cowardice based nonsense you have posted.

Money is YOUR motivator. Doing what is right is mine. I simply could not live with myself, and I would expect my family would be ashamed of me, if I didn't at least make an attempt to help someone trapped in a burning automobile, or structure. Th difference with you is you believe everything, other than what you would do, is a death wish, suicidal manuever. NONSENSE, we would do what we could do with the maximum chance to have a positive outcome, if the conditions push us back, or out, that is one thing. Cowering behind a crowd of civilians, who act because that is what having humanity called for, is entirely another.

I say again you must be so desperate for attention you come here just to get pounded on for your idiotic, non-fire service stances on the job. There can be no other reason to take the abuse you do...well unless you are a masochist.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 06-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    Jasper 45, BULL321 and Chenzo like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I don't see it as name calling at all. It is 100% his, and many other's, direct perception of you through all the absolutely cowardice based nonsense you have posted.

Money is YOUR motivator. Doing what is right is mine. I simply could not live with myself, and I would expect my family would be ashamed of me, if I didn't at least make an attempt to help someone trapped in a burning automobile, or structure. Th difference with you is you believe everything, other than what you would do, is a death wish, suicidal manuever. NONSENSE, we would do what we could do with the maximum chance to have a positive outcome, if the conditions push us back, or out, that is one thing. Cowering behind a crowd of civilians, who act because that is what having humanity called for, is entirely another.

I say again you must be so desperate for attention you come here just to get pounded on for your idiotic, non-fire service stances on the job. There can be no other reason to take the abuse you do...well unless you are a masochist.

Given that I have done this for 30 years before being hired, and still continue to do it as a volunteer in a seperate department, I hardly think that money is my motivator.

I guess if you want to call staying the hell out of abondoned buildings unless there's a damned good reason to go inside, reducing the number of offensive operations to savable property and realistic rescues, slowing down, buckling up, expanding the manpower pool for VFDs by adding exterior positions and training on local conditions and resources as determined by the local fire department vs. following a generic cookie-cutter standard certification class that may or may not meet the actua operational needs of your departmentl, so be it.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-13-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Forum Member

Given that I have done this for 30 years before being hired, and still continue to do it as a volunteer in a seperate department, I hardly think that money is my motivator.

I guess if you want to call staying the hell out of abondoned buildings unless there's a damned good reason to go inside, reducing the number of offensive operations to savable property and realistic rescues, slowing down, buckling up, expanding the manpower pool for VFDs by adding exterior positions and training on local conditions and resources as determined by the local fire department vs. following a generic cookie-cutter standard idiotic, so be it.
    You continue to do it as a volunteer......badly.

You put forth a scenario of rationalizing non-response because of the potential for injury. That being the low bar you've established for yourself, why don't you just go one step further and cite the potential for getting injured while responding going code 3. Given the number of injuries that occur while firefighters are enroute you can justify not leaving the station and staying home. Doing all parties concerned the greatest service.
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-13-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Forum Member

You put forth a scenario of rationalizing non-response because of the potential for injury. That being the low bar you've established for yourself, why don't you just go one step further and cite the potential for getting injured while responding going code 3. Given the number of injuries that occur while firefighters are enroute you can justify not leaving the station and staying home. Doing all parties concerned the greatest service.
    The crowd goes WILD! Everyone is on their feet, STANDING OVATION!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I would be missed way to much.

As far as injuries, it's the bar that I have established for everyone, including the crews I supervise. Do you consider injuries an acceptable part of doing business? If you do, you are part of the problem with the fire service today. Most injuries are highly preventable if we stay out of buildings we never did or no longer belong in, and evaluate why we are performing tasks vs. the gain or need associatted with the tasks.

I do fully support cold response policies except in very narrow dfined parameters as it would certainly be one very effective way to reduce the number of vehicles responding hot, or even on the road, and would likely have a significant impact on firefighter fatalities.

Forum Member

It has been your excuse for not acting to even attempt to rescue a civilian you came upon "OFF DUTY." Which is a funny term for a volunteer firefighter since so many like to claim they are "On the job 24/7/365."

I guess if you want to call staying the hell out of abondoned buildings unless there's a damned good reason to go inside, reducing the number of offensive operations to savable property and realistic rescues, slowing down, buckling up, expanding the manpower pool for VFDs by adding exterior positions and training on local conditions and resources as determined by the local fire department vs. following a generic cookie-cutter standard certification class that may or may not meet the actua operational needs of your departmentl, so be it.

Nice attempt at a diversion, but it is TOTALLY irrelevant to what we are talking about about. We are clearly talking about coming upon a car fire where the occupants need assistance getting out of the car, or a structure fire where occupants need help escaping the building. How about you stay on topic for once instead of trying to change the subject to some other nonsense?
    You just don't get it and never will.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I do fully support cold response policies except in very narrow dfined parameters as it would certainly be one very effective way to reduce the number of vehicles responding hot, or even on the road, and would likely have a significant impact on firefighter fatalities.
    This paragraph by you shows what a hypocritical out of touch with reality person you really are. You want to save lives of firefighters by not running lights and sirens, but have shredded the importance of annual physicals that very well might detect the heart disease of the 400 pound exterior firefighter and save his life.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I would be missed way to much.
    The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    --Charles de Gaulle

As far as injuries, it's the bar that I have established for everyone, including the crews I supervise. Do you consider injuries an acceptable part of doing business? If you do, you are part of the problem with the fire service today. Most injuries are highly preventable if we stay out of buildings we never did or no longer belong in, and evaluate why we are performing tasks vs. the gain or need associatted with the tasks.
    What I do know is that you've set the bar so low so as to be worthless.

See above response.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the difference that separates you from the rest of us.....BROTHERHOOD. Knowing that fellow brothers and sisters in the fire service would step up and pitch in where needed in a time of need provides me the comfort that I would not have to hesitate to jump in off duty and do the right thing. Service to your fellow man....what a concept!

Forum Member

Posted by scfire86...
    Maybe you should pursue a career in baking french pastry or small animal grooming.
    Both those professions would be too dangerous for Bobbby... he might burn his fingers taking something out of the oven or get nipped by a Chihuahua....
    scfire86, BULL321 and Chenzo like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Posted by scfire86...

Both those professions would be too dangerous for Bobbby... he might burn his fingers taking something out of the oven or get nipped by a Chihuahua....
    How could he get burned? He wouldn't go in the kitchen it would be to hot in there.

How would he get nipped? Being within 10 feet of that dog would risk his financial future!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Originally Posted by LaFireEducator

It has been your excuse for not acting to even attempt to rescue a civilian you came upon "OFF DUTY." Which is a funny term for a volunteer firefighter since so many like to claim they are "On the job 24/7/365."

No, that's not about making money. I's about the ability to meet my obligation, or the obligation of any volunteer to be able to fufill thier responsibilities at home. Sorry, but no work means no food, heat, gas or mortgage payment and that is, like it or not, far more important than anything we'll ever respond to.

That is why volunteer injuries are such a hot button issue with me.

Nice attempt at a diversion, but it is TOTALLY irrelevant to what we are talking about about. We are clearly talking about coming upon a car fire where the occupants need assistance getting out of the car, or a structure fire where occupants need help escaping the building. How about you stay on topic for once instead of trying to change the subject to some other nonsense?

You just don't get it and never will.

And guess what ... that is the responsibility of the local fire department who will arrive with members in PPE, water and the right tools to do the job. It's not the responsibility of off-duty or out of district firefighters in a POV with none of the above.

I fully support any trained resoponder doing what nthey can until the AHJ arrives, but that does not mean becoming injured and not being able to work in the process.I have done it countless times in my career, but there is alimit, and that situation was something that I would not have become involved in, nor recoomend that any off-duty firefighter become involved in.

You may be right. I probably don't "get it".

My obligation to provide for my wife and kids does take priority in my life, especially in my volunteer role where age and medical protections are limited or non-existant. In the end, they are more important than the citizens.

That's what "I get".

If you call that not being in the tradition of a selfless fireighter, so be it.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-13-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    This paragraph by you shows what a hypocritical out of touch with reality person you really are. You want to save lives of firefighters by not running lights and sirens, but have shredded the importance of annual physicals that very well might detect the heart disease of the 400 pound exterior firefighter and save his life.
    I have no issues with physicals as long as there is assistance to pay for them in rural VFDs that will not force them to take money away from an already limited budget to meet this mandate, and that there be some form of outside assistance to deal with the manpower losses that will result.

That has been my position all along.

Forum Member

Yup.

It's a good thing you understand that injuring a volunteer has the potential to cost him, and more importantly his family, a lot of money, especially if he is injured operating out of his district where his department's medical insurance and workman's comp policy would likely not apply.

But that's not important as he has kept up the "traditions of the fire service".

Of course, that's not going to buy his family food or pay the rent, but that's really not that important after all.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
    Here is the difference that separates you from the rest of us.....BROTHERHOOD. Knowing that fellow brothers and sisters in the fire service would step up and pitch in where needed in a time of need provides me the comfort that I would not have to hesitate to jump in off duty and do the right thing. Service to your fellow man....what a concept!
    And I am sure that there would be brother firefighters that could do what they can, but even those resources are limited and in the event of a serious or long-term injury, that support, especially financial support, would waiver.

The point is that an out of district injury that would require time off from work could be devestating to a family, especially those living on the edge, which in this area, constittues the bulk of our volunteer base. As supervisors, preventing injury to them does need to be probably the most important concern at the scene of an incident, even if that means additional property damage and the decsion not to attempt a high risk/low probability rescue.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 20 First ... 678910111219 ... Last

Thread Information