Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Should I become a junior firefighter?

I want to be a firefighter when I'm older and I need something to do over the summer. But, is it really that much fun. They can only clean the firehouse and trucks, so I'm not sure if it will be worth it. I'm also very shy so I'm kinda afraid to do it. Just wondering if any of you junior firefighters or people that know about junior firefighting could tell me if it's a good idea or not.
    Thanks,
    Chilaha

Forum Member

""""But, is it really that much fun. They can only clean the firehouse and trucks, so""

1. you make if as fun as you want it to be

2. that is an asssigned job as a firefighter, so might as well get use to it.

3. Will give you a look at the fire department, to help you see if you want to do the job.

4. May help with the shyness, or make you see that you are not shy.

5. It is a job, yes can be fun at times

Forum Member

If you you're not willing to clean and wash trucks you shouldn't be a firefighter, period. Nothing irks me more than when one of my explorers gets too full of themselves to clean, just because they get to hang out in the firehouse

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do you want to be a firefighter when you are older? You say your interest in the fire service is partially due to needing something to do over the summer, but you dont say that you want to help others or give back to your community. You are shy and scared to do it as well you seem to be scared of a little work. I can only base this on a paragraph and I apologize if I have misread you, but you seem like you need to get your character and values set straight. A proper fire department will either do that or quickly make you realize you want no part of it. Give it a try.

Forum Member

Thats what i thought i would do once i became a jr firefighter, but its not like that. I'm allowed to go on certain calls and participate in Company drill nights. And dont worry about being shy, volunteer firefighters are the most friendly people you can meet and you can express yourself in any way you want to at the station. Trust me...its a blast!

Forum Member

Cleaning is part of being a firefighter. It's not glorious, but it's part of the job. Just like rolling hose. Tough work, not glorious work, but work that needs to be done.

However, I would think as a Junior you'd also get an opportunity to learn about the fire service, learn some fire and EMS skills, and probably even go on calls.

That said, it is a commitment. It takes time, dedication and effort. It's not something you really do just for the summer. Unless of course they had a summer only program.

Forum Member

Don't join just to get the ladies, join if you want a future in firefighting or are interested in fire science that slot could be used by others and if you are only doing it for fun you aren't fully committed which is essential.

Thread Information