Forum Member

Default A couple of Mechanic questions

I own a 2002 Super Duty diesel F350 ex-ambulance. It has dual alternators and the power charger is still present.
    From my understanding, the power charger is supposed to regulate the power from the dual alternators to protect from power surges for whatever ambulance equipment would have run off of the alternators. I am assuming this would also protect the fuses from blowing when using the power points inside the truck.
    A few months ago while running my laptop off of the alternator the power point fuse blew. Shortly after that the fuse for the power mirrors also blew. When I checked the fuses I found one other that had blown as well. Does this mean there is an issue with the power charger. When I start the engine all the lights on the power charger turn on and then only the red light next to the Ford button stays on.
    Secondly, I need a fuse guide for this truck. I have already looked online and found 2 completely different guides for this truck and neither of them were right. If anyone knows where to find the correct fuse guide online or could post a copy here of one they have that would be printable I would really appreciate it; it was a real pain pulling 30 fuses trying to find the right ones.
    thanks for any help.
    Echo

Forum Member

Who was the aftermarket ambulance manufacturer? I'd start there, they probably could help you.

Forum Member

I have no idea, how do I find out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EchoR View Post
    I have no idea, how do I find out?
    Is the box still on it? It should have some kind of name plate. If not, where did you buy it from, they may be able to give you some history. There should also be a data plate, usually in the door frame that should have the aftermarket builders's data. (GVWR and such) It may also list previous owners and manufacturers on your title, and your VIN might help by giving Ford a call to see where it went from the factory.

Forum Member

I bought it from a dealer that specializes in ambulance to public sales. There is no bed on it all and there are a lot of stickers on the door. Two have conflicting information. One says that it is equipped with the Ford Ambulance package the other says it isn't and that if it is turned into an ambulance the warranty is void; something about too much under body heat.
    There is a sticker that says GA Department of Human Resources Office of EMS and Trauma. I think I could start there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EchoR View Post
    I bought it from a dealer that specializes in ambulance to public sales. There is no bed on it all and there are a lot of stickers on the door. Two have conflicting information. One says that it is equipped with the Ford Ambulance package the other says it isn't and that if it is turned into an ambulance the warranty is void; something about too much under body heat.
    There is a sticker that says GA Department of Human Resources Office of EMS and Trauma. I think I could start there.
    The State of Ga wont be able to help you, neither will Ford. You need to find out who the ambulance Mfr was/is. They are the ones who purchased the chassis/driveline from Ford, and then added on the box, the dual alternator electrical system, etc.

Somewhere, somehow, someway there has to be an identifying mark of some kind for the Ambulance Manufacturer. How about on the driver door jamb, or behind the drivers seat, or maybe inside the first compartment immediately behind the driver- or is this a van-type ambulance???????? Once you figure out who the Mfr of the ambulance is, then you call them and get a wiring diagram or other info you need.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Ford might be able to help. Some of the later dual alternator installations are factory (Ford, that is).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Ford might be able to help. Some of the later dual alternator installations are factory (Ford, that is).
    Yes you are correct. I know when we ordered our Utility chassis there was an ambulance prep package that Ford offered. I think it had dual alternators and batteries maybe more.... That was 2005....

Forum Member

If the Original Poster is still having problems, all you have to do is find the body builder books online and go the electrical section. You can easily find out if it is factory or not. Not sure what you mean by power charger but I have never seen the term used by Ford.

The State of Ga wont be able to help you, neither will Ford.There is a sticker that says GA Department of Human Resources Office of EMS and Trauma.

Thread Information