Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hose technique question

Recently we were doing some training at my department (car fire). During the exercise I closed the bail on the hose down some maybe 3/4's of the way open just taking away some of the pressure that the new Pumper Operator had set it at. The Safety Officer told me to keep it wide open no matter what. Now, im not bragging only talking from experience that Ive had, at my previous department i have extinguished car fires alone assigned to a single man engine where i had to set the pump then grab the hose to extinguish the vehicle. What are some of your opinions on closing down the bail some to relieve pressure from the hose to be able to maneuver better.

MembersZone Subscriber

In training we teach the nozzle has only two positions, open and closed. This allows the operator to accurately set pressures, and to achieve the desired flow when it's needed. In practice it's stupid to think that one can't gate back for some tasks. In training though, keeping the nozzle fully open shows the relative ease or difficulty with the given flow. If you can't handle the flow, you may be overpumping the line or under pump iron.

I agree with rfd. Doing that at a structure fire will get your head knocked off. Pressures are set at certain numbers for a reason. Over pumping your lines can sometimes be just as bad or worse than under pumping especially with combi-nozzles. Are you using select gallonage or automatics?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I agree as well, it's either fully open or fully closed. In your case, I'd tell the pump operator to adjust the pressure he's providing.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

If lebryan22 is asking if it is okay to gate the nozzle sometimes while you are moving, I say yes it is. As long as when you are actually attacking the fire again you open the nozzle all the way.

Now if lebryan22 is saying gate the nozzle for the entire attack just to make it easier to operate then NO, that is not acceptable.

Too many people are operating under the old TFT standard of gating the nozzle until you feel comfortable with the back pressure. Wasn't a good idea then and isn't a good idea now. If it takes 150 gpm gating to less than that won't make the fire go out.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by WBFD25 View Post
    I agree as well, it's either fully open or fully closed. In your case, I'd tell the pump operator to adjust the pressure he's providing.
    Not quite. There are a few scenarios where it is a good tactic. Hydraulically ventilation with a smoothbore is one, advancing a flowing 2.5 is another. Having a good line of communication with your operator is key. There is absolutely zero reason to go half *** on a car fire. I can't see a handline, 1 3/4 at most, being too much to handle unless the operator had no clue what he was doing.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

I agree with the above. Under pumping the line at the panel will have the same negative effect on flow as gating at the nozzle will.

However, assuming we have all been on the business end of a car fire before, there are times once the fire is knocked down that you may have to gate back to get water where you want it. No different in a structure fire. Overhaul with a fully open line would be interesting to say the least.

Personally I hate TFT's ongoing marketing scheme of using the bail to determine pressure and flow. It takes the "all the way open or all the way closed" addage and throws it out the window.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My issue with the TFT controlling the flow at the nozzle has always been this: Through research and testing lets say your FD decides they need a baseline flow of 150 gpm and with the nozzle wide open that is what you get. As soon as you gate the nozzle all that research and testing go right out the window because now you have no idea what you are flowing. It could be anything between 50 and 150 gpm. Obviously, if the fire needs 150 gpm, that 50 to 149 flow is not going to work. No matter how pretty the stream looks, inadequate flow is inadequate flow.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information